• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cornucopia V Hsbc

Cornucopia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hmm thats 3 preliminarys that i know of that they will be receiving at the same time ;)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be the former, never the latter. Good luck.

Just an update. Posted prelim letter, they have until Monday 5th June to respond. Thus far, zilch! Is this normal? Perhaps they will take more notice of the LBA? I have a call minder at home and have noticed that they have been ringing at least 6-8 times a day. Wonder if this has anything to do with it? If I am in and they ring, I ignore it. I don't want to get into a conversation over the phone about this!

Notice this is getting far more publicity now, Daily Mail article today and a whole item on it on GMTV this morning! Good, it all helps! :):)

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

To be honest, you are not likely to get a response until your second letter...but you need to follow the timetable nonetheless. You will get your money though...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

To be honest, you are not likely to get a response until your second letter...but you need to follow the timetable nonetheless. You will get your money though...

Thanks Spiceskull! You always make me feel better!:)

Anything you can do for sore throats and a runny nose?:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Anything you can do for sore throats and a runny nose?
...ummm...no! Fraid not :|

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well well well! Today is the last day for HSBC to respond to my prelim before I send an LBA. In the post this morning I received a letter offering me £1,150 of my claim of approx £1,350!! What a surprise! It was the usual guff, "mindful of management time and irrecoverable legal costs" and "without any admission of liability whatsoever". Also refers me to the Ombudsman if I am dissatisified.

What next? Do I accept the amount as an "interim" payment and say I will pursue them for the rest or do I refuse it whole amount and continue with my claim as usual?

Any comments gratefully received!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

What next? Do I accept the amount as an "interim" payment and say I will pursue them for the rest?

Yes.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Yes.

Right, I have decided to accept the £1,150 they offered me as an "interim payment". Letter going something like this : Desperate for input, so any changes/advice much appreciated :

Dear Mr Beaumont,

Thank you for your letter dated 2 June 2006 offering me £1,150.00 of my total claim of £1,378.00. I am pleased to accept this amount as an interim payment, however, I must inform you that I will be pursuing my claim for the remaining amount.

Furthermore, you have applied a further £30.00 to account no : xxxx and £100 to account no xxxx, increasing the total claim to £1,508.00. Therefore, I will be taking action to recover a total of £358.00.

As a courtesy, I am willing to extend my deadline by a further 14 days before issuing my claim to the County Court.

Yours sincerely

Cornucopia

THIS SOUNDS CRAP! THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF THESE LETTERS, COULD SOMEBODY HELP ME??!!! THANK YOU!!! :D:D:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

dont give them another 14 days imo, have they said in their letter that its the best offer they will make? and thats it, if so then you cant expect a reply from the bank for a better offer and you should procced to mcol

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

dont give them another 14 days imo, have they said in their letter that its the best offer they will make? and thats it, if so then you cant expect a reply from the bank for a better offer and you should procced to mcol

Hi there, thanks for response. They have said "in full and final settlement". The situation was :

I sent a prelim.

Offer received from them the day before LBA due to be sent (ie : yesterday).

If I had sent the LBA I would have had to have given them 14 days to respond before filing a claim, therefore I thought it was right to extend that courtesy. Others seem to have done the same.

Am I going wrong here???!!!:eek:

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Your letter was wonderful, although I agree that 14 days is too generous. Personally I would say "As a gesture of my good intentions, I will offer the bank a further seven days to reflect on their position before pursuing the matter in court."

This give a decent turnaround time for your letter and theirs. It's your timetable, you are able to stretch it, but don't let them dictate the agenda.

Good luck.

Your letter was wonderful, although I agree that 14 days is too generous. Personally I would say "As a gesture of my good intentions, I will offer the bank a further seven days to reflect on their position before pursuing the matter in court."

This give a decent turnaround time for your letter and theirs. It's your timetable, you are able to stretch it, but don't let them dictate the agenda.

Good luck.

Ahhh Spiceskull!!! Crap at sore throats but wonderful with charges!!!! :D:D:D

Thanks so much, I will take advice given and give them 7 days. So just to be clear, if they don't write and agree to refund the whole lot within 7 days, on day 8 I just file a claim with Money Online? Should this happen, do I file a claim for the whole £1,500 or just for the extra they are currently unwilling to pay given that I will be agreeing to accept thier initial offer of £1,150?

Thanks for all your help everybody! Fingers crossed! :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Good luck, i'm paying attention!

:)HSBC Current - Prelim sent 2/6/06 £1060 Reciept confrimation 5/6/06

:mad:HSBC Credit - Statements requested 6/6/06 - I reckon around 500 notes.

;)NATWEST - Parachute account opened 4/6/06

Should this happen, do I file a claim for the whole £1,500 or just for the extra they are currently unwilling to pay given that I will be agreeing to accept thier initial offer of £1,150?
You claim for the full amount less anything they have given you as part payment...ummm...ummm...whether or not you accept a part payment is up to you. But whatever you do, anything short of the full amount means you will raise your claim...;)

Also, and don't forget this - however you raise your claim, you need to particularise the list of charges. Effectively this means printing off the spreadsheet, and sending a copy to the bank and adding/submitting a copy with your claim form. Apart from the list of charges, it needs to include the following:

• Your Name
  • Bank Name
  • Claim Number (if you have one)
  • Bank sort code
  • Bank account number
  • Claim period (ie June 200 - June 2006)

Good luck.

Spice, I thought that it wasn't necessary to produce an itemised list of charges at the initial mcol stage because there isn't space. I figured that this could be provided at allocation questionnaire time.

Should I be sending a list of charges to my bank now then?

It wasn't the case, but it seems to be that banks are using 'non-particularisation' as a delaying tactic, and therefore something that needs to be avoided if possible.

If you raise the claim in person, then providing copies for the court and bank is straightforward. If you use MCOL (I haven't) I understand that there is a ticky box that gives you the option for "documents to follow by post" - tick the box and send copies to both places.

It's a pain, but not as painful as adding weeks to your timetable...:-|

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, update on my HSBC claim. I wrote to them accepting their partial settlement but reminding them that I would be going to court to claim the rest. I have heard exactly nothing. Tomorrow is the last day before I submit my claim. Having accepted the interim payment, do I just carry on the claim for the excess, or do I claim for the whole lot? I am mindful that I could severely screw this up given they have not responded to my letter of acceptance of an "interim payment".

Also, just as an aside, they have started messing us about big time. They bounced a cheque on my account the other day, even though funds were available and then we received a letter saying that they would be paying no more out of our joint account as it was over the overdraft limit (there is nothing to come out before I get paid so it really isn't an issue and it only went over the bloody limit because of thier charges!). Interesting that it is usually our branch who write to us, however, this time it was Mr Bowden in Sheffield! How peculiar! Also, we have a call minder on our phone and are getting in excess of 10 calls a day from them. As it comes up with HSBC when the phone rings, we haven't been answering it, but I am getting a little hacked off with 8.15 am calls on a Sunday morning (oh yes!). I might have to take that up separately, it is pure harassment.

We have never had any trouble with them before but suddenly they are stamping their little feet all over the place! How co-incidental that this all happened post-DPA request!

Anyway, as usual, all advice welcome, especially from you Spiceskull!!:-)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I did exactly the same accepted their offer as part payment. They didn't reply so I filed my claim. I then received a letter from them dated the day they received my claim indicating that they were sorry I didn't accept and they were withdrawing their offer.

I hope that you here something by tommorrow offering you ALL your money.

I did exactly the same accepted their offer as part payment. They didn't reply so I filed my claim. I then received a letter from them dated the day they received my claim indicating that they were sorry I didn't accept and they were withdrawing their offer.

I hope that you here something by tommorrow offering you ALL your money.

Hello, thanks for your response. Did you file your claim for the whole lot or just the amount that was in excess of thier offer? I am assuming that I will also get a letter withdrawing the offer as this seems to be the norm. What has happened with your claim since? :)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Can someone please give me just a basic breakdown of how the whole claim process works.

Been on here for a day or two (obviously not constantly! :-)) and am a bit confused, I just want a basic breakdown of the process.

Ie DPA first ?? ( I still dont know what this is ?)

Letter of Compliance ??

etc etc

Anyones help much appreciated :-)

Can someone please give me just a basic breakdown of how the whole claim process works.

Been on here for a day or two (obviously not constantly! :-)) and am a bit confused, I just want a basic breakdown of the process.

Ie Data Protection Act first ?? ( I still dont know what this is ?)

Letter of Compliance ??

etc etc

Anyones help much appreciated :-)

click the link in my sig ;)

Hi everybody, update on my HSBC claim. I wrote to them accepting their partial settlement but reminding them that I would be going to court to claim the rest. I have heard exactly nothing. Tomorrow is the last day before I submit my claim. Having accepted the interim payment, do I just carry on the claim for the excess, or do I claim for the whole lot? I am mindful that I could severely screw this up given they have not responded to my letter of acceptance of an "interim payment".

Also, just as an aside, they have started messing us about big time. They bounced a cheque on my account the other day, even though funds were available and then we received a letter saying that they would be paying no more out of our joint account as it was over the overdraft limit (there is nothing to come out before I get paid so it really isn't an issue and it only went over the bloody limit because of thier charges!). Interesting that it is usually our branch who write to us, however, this time it was Mr Bowden in Sheffield! How peculiar! Also, we have a call minder on our phone and are getting in excess of 10 calls a day from them. As it comes up with HSBC when the phone rings, we haven't been answering it, but I am getting a little hacked off with 8.15 am calls on a Sunday morning (oh yes!). I might have to take that up separately, it is pure harassment.

We have never had any trouble with them before but suddenly they are stamping their little feet all over the place! How co-incidental that this all happened post-Data Protection Act request!

Anyway, as usual, all advice welcome, especially from you Spiceskull!!:-)

Just bumping this question............

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I put in a claim for the full amount including the 8% interest which I worked out using the spreadsheet provided in the templates. It has since been acknowledged by HSBC but I'm still waiting for either a letter indicating their defence or an offer.

When I was offered a partial refund, I wrote back basically saying I accept this partial offer, but any amount outstanding from the total claim that's not received within 14 days will be pursued though court + 8% interest.

They wrote back with the standard response of 'we do not agree with your claim' blah blah, and no refund whatsoever. So I filed for the total outstanding as promised which was my full claim and included the 8% on top.

I would sugest you do the same. Any amounts received after you file, will be taken into account by the court and deducted from the total. I believe you have to let them know as soon as you receive any.

Claim against HSBC for £1379.41 (incl overdraft interest charged and 8% interest)

Data Protection Act request delivered 10/03/06

Statements received 06/04/06 (for free)

Initial repayment request delivered 18/04/06

Poke it letter received 27/08/06

Letter Before Action delivered 04/05/06

Offer of £927.50 (all charges but not interest) received 18/05/06

Unconditional acceptance and Final Letter Before Action (me being generous) delivered 30/05/06

Poke it on all counts letter received 07/06/06

Court Claim Submitted 11/06/06 (claim number 6QZ37645)

Acknowledged 15/06/06

Full offer made for £1499.41 and accepted 20/06/06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks