Your Credit File (Free Trial)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may be of help to some people and save paying the standard fee.

It is operated by Experian

http://www.joincreditexpert.com/freecreditreport/

Edit: I've removed the last part of this URL which appeared to be a referral code. We have no objection to people posting websites that they think might be helpful, but PLEASE don't use us to get affiliate fees. If people want to post a website, please post the BASIC site URL. Edited by Moderator Whisperwolf

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

You do get 30 days free trial and can cancel without any charges before this time.

I joined under this type of offer very recently, but will not be making long term use of it...

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I've used this free trail in the past and it can be very useful. You can file such things as a "Notice of Correction" (for all the good it will do you) online and so on.

If you have two or three weeks to spare to sort out your credit reference file then prepare yourself and go for the free trial.

Thanks to Whisperwolf for clarifying the links issue, I've been wondering for some time what the situation was regarding refferals. Shame really because there is stuff out there that could genuinly benefit members and save them money but I can understand the position of CAG.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little suspicious of services that require billing details for a free offer ...

PS - annoyingly, it's rejecting my card. No available funds, but then it makes it very clear that it's not going to take any.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

This is fairly common with free offers, I suspect that they plan to catch you out by hoping you will forget to cancel and thus incur the membership charges. I simply set an alarm on my mobile phone, most have calendars now, reminding me to cancel after about three weeks. There are options though, like joining via a cashback site which actually pays you £2.50 to trial the service! I don't think I'm alloed to post it here but PM or email me for details. I' going to have a look at mine when I have the spare time to deal with most of the carp I'm going to find on it.

Have tried this before. Gave all my details, sent my credit card details then they sent me an email saying they were unable to confirm my identity and would I mind sending in utility bills, driving licence etc etc.... erm... obviously I didn't!

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

• 2 weeks later...
Have tried this before. Gave all my details, sent my credit card details then they sent me an email saying they were unable to confirm my identity and would I mind sending in utility bills, driving licence etc etc.... erm... obviously I didn't!

i tried this gave all details etc etc

and ive had no email, or pin number etc, so im not so sure

about this at all,

never mind im going to try and get in contact with them

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

• 2 weeks later...
This is fairly common with free offers, I suspect that they plan to catch you out by hoping you will forget to cancel and thus incur the membership charges. I simply set an alarm on my mobile phone, most have calendars now, reminding me to cancel after about three weeks. There are options though, like joining via a cashback site which actually pays you £2.50 to trial the service! I don't think I'm alloed to post it here but PM or email me for details. I' going to have a look at mine when I have the spare time to deal with most of the carp I'm going to find on it.

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could e-mail me the site for the credit scoring.

ta

BOS-CC

21.6.6 - DPL pstd, 24.7.6 - Plm Ltr £2928.77 ,01.8.6 - Ltr rcvd from BOS- fob OFF,04.8.6 - LBA pstd,06 - Sm Clms fr crt,12.9.6 - rcvd £868.35 part pymnt, £2198.67,12.9.6-ltr acptng pp and lba,

31.10.6 - Sm clms fr crt

BOS-Crt(2)

21.6.6-DPL pstd,04.8.6-Plm Ltr £4824.93,24.8.6-LBA pstd

RBS1

24.7.6-DPL pstd,05.9.6-Plm ltr £3232.47,19.9.6-LBA,31.10.6-sm clms crt Won

RBS2

18.9.6-DPL pstd,08.11.06-plm ltr £1,138.51 Won

Have joined this site now, just waiting for it to process...

But while reading the faqs it mentions credit report (1 free) and credit score (which you pay more for apparently)

The credit report should list anytime that the bank has "reported" you..

??is that correct?" I don't need the score really do I?

HSBC

09th June 2006 - Data Protection Act Request

21st June 2006 - Acknowledgement from HSBC

30th June 2006 - 33 letters arrive - 6yrs statements

01st July 2006 - Preliminary request for £2868.24.

12th July 2006 - HSBC offered me £1995, I declined.

17th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £2970

01st August 2006 - MCOL for £3778 (inc 8% + fees)

08th August 2006 - HSBC defending ....

31st August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - Wooooooohoooooo.

Halifax

09th June 2006- Data Protection Act Request

22nd June 2006 - Acknowledgement from Halifax

08th July 2006 6yrs statements arrive.

10th July 2006 - Preliminary request for £1393.08.

21st July 2006 - Halifax offered £115, I declined..

24th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £1421.

08th August 2006 - MCOL for £1822 (inc 8% and fees)

16th August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - woooohoooo

Have joined this site now, just waiting for it to process...

But while reading the faqs it mentions credit report (1 free) and credit score (which you pay more for apparently)

The credit report should list anytime that the bank has "reported" you..

??is that correct?" I don't need the score really do I?

No you don't need the score, but when I read my report earlier today the score was right there at the end of it and I didn't bother paying the extra!

Tip: I lost my password a few days after receiving it but never got around to phoning them up about it until today. My free month was nearly up and I told them I had not had the chance to read my file properly so they extended the free trial for another month! Worth a try folks!

Myreport says that I was 1 payment late for every payment to hsbc for a loan (that is now paid off) But, I wanted to pay on a different date, they wouldn't let me, so I set up a standing order, this went to them BEFORE the payment date, so I was always early not late!! never missed a payment... can I include this on my LBA (as thats my next letter) as its just come up as late as there was no payment on thier date, they have ignored the fact that I actually paid 10 days early!

HSBC

09th June 2006 - Data Protection Act Request

21st June 2006 - Acknowledgement from HSBC

30th June 2006 - 33 letters arrive - 6yrs statements

01st July 2006 - Preliminary request for £2868.24.

12th July 2006 - HSBC offered me £1995, I declined.

17th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £2970

01st August 2006 - MCOL for £3778 (inc 8% + fees)

08th August 2006 - HSBC defending ....

31st August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - Wooooooohoooooo.

Halifax

09th June 2006- Data Protection Act Request

22nd June 2006 - Acknowledgement from Halifax

08th July 2006 6yrs statements arrive.

10th July 2006 - Preliminary request for £1393.08.

21st July 2006 - Halifax offered £115, I declined..

24th July 2006 - LBA sent, now £1421.

08th August 2006 - MCOL for £1822 (inc 8% and fees)

16th August 2006 - SETTLED IN FULL - woooohoooo

No good to me only got a natwest cash card/maestro

though am i right in beleiving that any bad credit runs out after 6 years, BUT if you apply for credit or get credit checked within the 6 years its back to square 1 (6 years again) as its now back on top of database

Both experian and equinox offer a free months trial , yes IMO I think it is in the hope that you forget to cancel.You do need to check both of these sites as some companies only use one or the other .I used the free trials with both of them and found quite a lot of information they held was incorrect so I found the free trials handy to get it all corrected.The only problem I had was one of the still took the money even though I had cancelled in plenty of time but as soon as I rang them and explained I had cancelled it exactly as they said and then followed it up with an email then that was enough proof and I was immediatly refunded.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Why bother going this route, giving your details which they can then access when you forget to cancel? It only costs £2 to apply for a one-off anyway!

Myreport says that I was 1 payment late for every payment to hsbc for a loan (that is now paid off) But, I wanted to pay on a different date, they wouldn't let me, so I set up a standing order, this went to them BEFORE the payment date, so I was always early not late!! never missed a payment... can I include this on my LBA (as thats my next letter) as its just come up as late as there was no payment on thier date, they have ignored the fact that I actually paid 10 days early!

Hedgehog, have you contacted the credit report company? They can help you sort out any incorrect info on your file. :cool:

A new website that enables anybody to obtain their credit report free of charge is annualcreditreport.co.uk it simple and theres no catch except for subscribing to their free newsletter. You can cancel at any time. Its just gone live in the south of England and Wales. Other regions to follow.

Why bother going this route, giving your details which they can then access when you forget to cancel? It only costs £2 to apply for a one-off anyway!

Hedgehog, have you contacted the credit report company? They can help you sort out any incorrect info on your file. :cool:

I also have this problem with HSBC for a loan i'm still paying that they made me take out!

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

• 1 month later...

A problem with the free trial is that it only accepts CC payments no SWITCH payments possible

Therefore not doing it.

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

I diskike providing an open-ended CC number because you have no ability to ensure further debits are not made, its always an 'after the event' thing. Still, here's my problem.

Aware (for many years!) that a DoB can be used to leverage identity theft, I've always avoided providing it wherever possible. I'm old enough to remember the days when all you had to do was tick the 'Over 21' box, but these days whether you want to enter a competition, join a club or buy a phone, they want your DoB.

They can ask - but it's none of their business. For those goods/services that I cannot fob off by leaving the DoB field bank, I sent up the following protocol;

1) A 'default' date of birth; 01/01/1900 (You'll be suprised how often this works!

2) A second variant of 01/01/1950 for those places that test the supplied date for logic.

3) For firms that have no real requirement for a DoB, I started with 01/01/1960 on an old diary, and progressively worked though the calendar writing down the name of the firm I supplied that date to (useful when data is passed on without your permission).

The information commissioner states that to obtain your credit file you contact one of three agencies and supply a payment of £2 along with your name, address and any previous addresses. Note, a DoB is NOT a requirement!

On contacting one of these firms to request a free credit check file, in addition to the details I had to fill in, they wanted a DoB and would not process the application without one. Explaining that no firm actually had it (unless they plundered my NHS record) there was little point in porividing it.

Stalemate. They then wanted a passport or driving licence for verification - now I want info from them, and have no intention of supplying data they do not have or is incorrect. As this is a neat trick to get round the information commissioners criteria, I wonder if forum member have come across similar problems, and if they managed to resolve the issue?

Over 21

Didn't the DPA change in 2004 where third party data previously appeared on your report - now it doesn't so I think they need a DOB to make sure only your info is retrieved to comply with the DPA. Also I'm sure that under the DPA cra's are required to make sure that the data they hold is secure and given to the right person so security checks apply whenever you apply for your report (this is to fight against fraud also). I think the fact that you keep on supplying random dates of birth will cause you lots of probs in the long run. i.e. the data that is recorded in your name and random DOBs will not match the info that you provided on your app form for your report and I think this will also cause you probs whenever you apply for credit. One of my accounts had a DOB a couple of days out and this kept on flagging up whenever I applied for things, causing me embaressment in shops etc as other than that everything was fine.

:cool: BB_Mack_Daddy :cool:

I note what you say - but then this it a case of the tail wagging the dog. If the DPA2004 did change things in relation to DoB's, then the Information Commissioner's site has not noticed.

At issue is the fact for security I don't give a DoB as a rule - therefore what third parties do (ie Credit Reference Agencies) is of no interest to me, they are not in my employ and in no way important to my life as a decent hiuman being.

For what its worth, I don't apply for credit so that's not an issue, however when catalogue companies and utilities start wanting a DoB when no extended credit is required is taking matters too far....

Hello again

As far as I'm aware, utilities and catologue companies (definitely catologues even if you intend paying by cash) perform credit checks with the big 3, so they will need a DOB when searching your report as they will be unable to perform a search if a DOB is not supplied.

I note what you are saying regarding your interest with cra's and that wanting a DOB for utilities etc is taking things to far but if you look at the pattern a fraudster takes, they always try and guess your DOB rather than knowing this (unless they have your passport etc) so devices are in place if a DOB miss-match is spotted on an application.

I think DPA 1998 changed in 10/2004

:cool: BB_Mack_Daddy :cool:

My beef is that I fail to see why a DoB is necessary when there isn't any application for credit! The requirement for a DoB appears ONLY as a facility to provide credit reference agencies with a reference number to identify an individual. As Patrick McGoohan once shouted, "I'm not a number...." so if a vendor is unwilling to take my money, I'll find one that will!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks