• Tweets

• a 'witness' to it not arriving till the 15th is sadly immaterial too. regardless to the above anyway, the PCN remains valid. 
    • Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

UPDATE: pturner and EGG Card PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

BACKGROUND: Am in process of claiming back Egg Card PPI. I feel it was applied without my consent. I had account for 4 years, ACCOUNT NOW CLOSED. Total PPI taken £981 of first 3 years approx, until I realised what it was and cancelled it. (approx £24-31 per month, varied)

ACTION MADE:

1. Spoke to helpline and he sent me screen shot of the 'application review' screen when I made my application for the card online.

2. Made SAR

3. Made Credit Card Agreement copy request.

RECEIVED THROUGH POST:

1. Received screen shot. Only shows a web form, with one box labelled 'Payment Protection' and the text 'ACCIDENT, SICKNESS, UNEMPLOYMENT and LIFE' entered into it. Doesn't prove that I selected anything so far..

2. Received SAR, however was simply a load of statements shoved into an envelope.

3. Received CCA, however no mention about overlimit charges or anything about PPI. Just two pages of paper containing my signature.

ACTION TAKEN:

1. Spoke to OFT. Said that they would have to prove I ticked a box otherwise no contract is made.

2.Sent reply to Data Protection Manager asking for full information on myself stating that some data I requested is missing. They have deadline of 3rd April to Reply

3.Included reply to Data Protection Manager regarding the CCA. Said it does not indicate any agreement with PPI at all, and that I require this information as evidence. They have deadline of 6th April to reply.

Will update all further.....

Thanks all

Phil :mad:

Had a reply from them.

They have sent me the CCA agreement again (still no inclusion of any PPI apparent on it), and sent me a copy of the terms and conditions of it. (Thanks, should have sent me that when I opened the account).

They keep bleating on about this 'screen shot' of my application review for the EGG card, and have sent me another copy of it. It says it 'is as filled in by me on my application' and that it is 'read-only' format. Thing is, i didnt type in the words 'Accident, Sickness, Unemployment and Life' into the box.

I need help as how to take this futher. How do I prove, that they cannot prove that I selected this? i.e I ticked a box. Would this screen shot really prove I must have opted for PPI at time of application, in a court?

It seems the only evidence they have of me opting for PPI is this screen shot. I have no recollection of selecting this.

Can anyone please advise, I really want to get them over this.

Phil

Already won full refund from EGG Card in relation to overlimit charges.

Had a reply from them.

They have sent me the CCA agreement again (still no inclusion of any PPI apparent on it), and sent me a copy of the terms and conditions of it. (Thanks, should have sent me that when I opened the account).

They keep bleating on about this 'screen shot' of my application review for the EGG card, and have sent me another copy of it. It says it 'is as filled in by me on my application' and that it is 'read-only' format. Thing is, i didnt type in the words 'Accident, Sickness, Unemployment and Life' into the box.

I need help as how to take this futher. How do I prove, that they cannot prove that I selected this? i.e I ticked a box. Would this screen shot really prove I must have opted for PPI at time of application, in a court?

It seems the only evidence they have of me opting for PPI is this screen shot. I have no recollection of selecting this.

Can anyone please advise, I really want to get them over this.

Phil

Already won full refund from EGG Card in relation to overlimit charges.

Hello Phil,

This just your typical case of we really don't want to give you your money back. and if we tell you so you will go away.

Personally I would start the process, send your prelim letter Let them know that you are serious and watch this space.

I have felt a bit floudery in the beginning, and thought should I, What If? :-? but that is how they want you to feel so you don't try and they have won and still got your money.

The first two letters only cost a £1 to send and then see how you feel:cool:

Everybody on the site is really in the same boat and we are all here to help each other:-D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Yeah get on with you prelim matey, get the ball rolling.

I think i will have an easy attepmt at Egg, as they have stated i took the PPI when i sined up online when applying by ticking the box. then i said prove it and they changed there story to "You took the PPi out over a phone call (6 months after account was opened)"

So basically with so many people in this situation, Egg obviously have broke the law, by adding this ppi without conscent, then making your story up to cover themselves.

"What goes around, Comes around!"

Best of Luck to ya

Sem

Ok, cheers.

I will send the pre-lim letter today and get this case going. It does seem that they are struggling to provide hard legal evidence, so I feel I have good chance of getting them. Will be calling the OFT today for advice, and will start a complaint with the FO. The FO have been inundated with complaints, so will see how long a reply takes.

Will keep all updated!

Phil 'McMad' Turner :evil:

Haven't sent Prelim letter yet. Am awaiting results of my SAR request. They failed to supply me with complete information the first time around, so I wrote back to to them asking for the remainder. They have until the 3rd April to comply.....

Phil

Haven't sent Prelim letter yet. Am awaiting results of my SAR request. They failed to supply me with complete information the first time around, so I wrote back to to them asking for the remainder. They have until the 3rd April to comply.....

Phil

Lets hope they comply by the third of April if they don't report them to the information comissioner office. Also threaten them with legal action re breach of SAR.

And:D go and get them

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi,

I am doing a claim for our egg card (Husbands account - I do all the work!!) I have sent off the pre-lim and LBA with the PPI included in the schedule of charges with the rest. I have not kept it seperate. I have received full compliance of the SAR and CCA, and can find nothing relating to us requesting this PPI. When it comes to filing at court I spose I can just include it in the poc. Hope so - or i'm stuffed! lol

Hi Phil - will keeping checking in on your thread - it looks like there are quite a few of us in the same boat here. I'm awaiting my SAR info and have asked them to fully comply with the CCA request specifically to send me any info relating to PPI.

ajjars

I am doing a claim for our egg card (Husbands account - I do all the work!!)
ha ha I know the feeling! I'm running out of accounts to go at now and have turned my attention to my OHs!

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

Hi All

Am in exactly the same boat with Egg. I thought I would try the FO route for a change as I would still have the court option should I need it. Two and a half months later I am still waiting for the FO to START their investigation as they are inundated with PPI complaints. Starting to wish I had just gone to court after all.

• 2 months later...

Am in exactly the same position as you (OH's account), even down to the screen shot.

Have already started mcol and had their defense which said it was up to my OH to prove that he didn't ask for insurance.:confused:

My OH certainly did not ask for this insurance and because he is as blind as a bat did not read his statements which would have alerted him to the fact that when he was made redundant he would have been able to make a claim against it instead of struggling to pay the card off.

juli99

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been away from here for a while. Have now got time to persue this matter again. Will keep informed. No update since my last post....time to make a complaint

Phil