WHISTLEBLOWER - Have the banks been lying to us?

Enron

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Public Revolt

What is rightfully yours NO more NO less

NO man/institution should take - FOR PROFIT OR GAIN

:razz: Regards and Miew

I want the fat cats

MIew MIEw MIEW MIEW

Dee

That was the best telly viewing I've seen in a long time, a very big thank you to the brave lassies that went undercover to make the programme!

I won't be complaing about paying my TV licence fee any longer if the BBC continue to make quality programmes like this! :D

What mate? I'd gladly pay them 25% of what I win, after I contribute to CAG, for a licence if they keep this up. Undercover journalism at it's best. The journalists were extremely Brave. More of the same Aunty, please. ;):D

Gimee! Gimee! Gimee! ma cash after midnight!

This was not the figure for bouncing a cheque, but all default actions were said to be less than £2.

This spreadsheet was devised for the Clydesdale Yorkshire and Northern banks, not Barclays, so the actual amount charged would have been as high as £35.

I would urge everyone to contact their MP and ask them about the issue. They have all received a full info pack from us, so they can't say they are not aware!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Guest NATTIE

I guess i should say i watched the programme with interest and the only comments i will make on the programme are as follows. Targets can sometimes drive what people do and i am certain a lot of those people featured in the programme will be sacked as the scapegoats for what is going on. The bank i work for have strict testing of branches on all paperwork and suspicious activities and failure to follow them do lead to disciplinary action being taken and staff firing. I did recognise quite a lot of things in the programme, not the staff committing fraud bit, but some of the things that can happen. This may sound that i am not following the crowd but not all staff behave in that way so any barclays staff on the site, i feel sorry that you will have to suffer today and tomorrow. Be thankful for the footie on Monday

9p to bounce a cheque?

Did i see it right?

Not a bad difference £30 ----> 9p

I noticed that also, it was on the spread sheet which calculated the time taken to turn on computer log in etc, I think it was from a RBSC employee who was paid to work out costs like these, althougt they did not mention the 9p cost they did I am sure make a point of showing it on the lap top

Maybe someone who recorded the programme can go back and check please?

This may sound that i am not following the crowd but not all staff behave in that way so any barclays staff on the site, i feel sorry that you will have to suffer today and tomorrow

I have to agree at my local barclays branch the staff are fantastic, really nice and will do everything to help you, I never pressurised to buy a product everytime I go into the branch, (wish I felt the same about my local Nat West) but I do know from speaking to the staff at Barclays they do find the selling part of the job very pressurising and when they meet their targets Barclays increase them

The bit that I found disturbing was the part were a staff member said,

"If someone phones regarding there bank charges and they hold a savings account with more than £5,000 in the account we refund the charge, because we dont want them to move there account elsewhere".

What about the thousands of people they are taking desperatly needed money of every day, So much for Barclays Customer Care, and the quote from Barclays "We care about our customers".

Christine Farnish

Christine Farnish is Public Policy Director at Barclays. Before joining Barclays, she was Chief Executive of the National Association of Pension Funds. Before NAPF, Christine was Consumer Director at the Financial Services Authority where she was responsible for promoting public awareness and consumer protection. She fronted an FSA initiative on small print and 'past performance' advertising in financial services. Before joining the FSA, she was Consumer Director and then Deputy Director General of OFTEL. Appointed to ASA Council in May 2002.

Christine Farnish is a member of Non-broadcast and Broadcast Councils.

She is also a member of the ASA Council Members

Christine Farnish to resign from OFT board

19 July 2006

Christine Farnish has tendered her resignation as a non-executive Director of the Office of Fair Trading prior to taking up a senior post in the Autumn with Barclays plc.

Christine has been a member of the OFT Board since its inception on 1 April 2003.

MODS - Hope the link at the bottom of this post is allowable (if not, please accept my apologies and remove).

I use this site often (CSA, Utility suppliers, bank etc) and it has been a godsend in keeping my phone bills down when getting through to companies who keep you on hold for ages. It gives the geographic and/or 0800 free alternatives to 0870/0845 numbers.

Type in Barclays in the search box for a whole host of cheaper numbers.

From Barclays website

"Call charges and information

sp.gif0845 - For BT residential customers, calls will cost no more than 4p per minute, plus 3p call set-up fee (current at January 2007). The price on non-BT phone lines may be different.

0870 - For BT residential customers, calls will cost no more than 8p per minute, plus 3p call set-up fee (current at January 2007). The price on non-BT phone lines may be different.

Calls to 0800 numbers and 0500 are free if made from a UK landline.

Non-BT customers and mobile phone users should contact their service providers for information about the cost of calls.

To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls."

SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Seriously, these are unlawfull charges, that have caused UNTOLD amount of problems/destitution/suicide YES SUICIDE.

THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!!!!!!!

I remember a piece, think it was either on Watchdog or the Money Program - where a number of people had got themselves into financial difficulty. Who's situations were compounded by the snowball of hefty charges they were receiving and they ended up committing suicide because of the pressure caused.

And now we have a Yorkshire Bank employee showing it could be as little as 9p, and a Barclays Bank employee stating it costs between £1.50-£2 maximum.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

What is the possibility that the program will be repeated on BBC 3- missed it last night as I was working. Grrrrrrrrrr.

GE Money S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 21/11/06. Responded 01/12/06. Prelim sent 05/12/06 £406. Response 12/12/06- **SETTLED IN FULL** (£396)

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued 05/12/06. NO charges in last 6 years.

Lowell CCA issued 21/11/06. Further reminder sent 8/12/06. Now commited criminal offence no response.

Capital One S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 Responded 03/01/07-Prelim Sent 16/01/07. LBA issued 06/02/07- N1 served 07/03/07- acknowledged 14/03/07.

Scotcall CCA issued 16/01/07. Criminal offence committed.

HFC Prelim sent 16/01/07. LBA sent- Final Correspondance issued with time limit of 29/03/07.

Well I was stuck to the screen watching this programme! And on the edge of my chair when I recognised the chatroom! LMAO

Well done to CAG.. you are the good guys in this awful war!

Talking about account fees, I had a Royalties Gold account with RBOS, which had a monthly fee. I was told we had to open this account to get a mortgage approved with RBOS. Going along the same lines as this Barclays Additions service, is there anything that can be done to reclaim these types of fees, i.e. mis-sold service on accounts?

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

"If someone phones regarding there bank charges and they hold a savings account with more than £5,000 in the account we refund the charge, because we dont want them to move there account elsewhere"..

This could be handy for those making several large claims. Once one has had a large payout, deposit it into another bank and then send the prelim letter to them. They may pay out quicker.

I used to work for Northern rock and whilst I was forced to hard sell payment protection insurance on loans, I never have encountered anything like what I saw on whistleblower. I only knew od one person who was ever sacked for fraud.

You will be surprised how low people will go when money is involved and to what extent they will lie, cheat and bully people into achieving a goal because of the immense pressure they are under and especially when you are threatened with the loss of your job.

The entire job was turning me into a jumped up little con man in a suit. I am ashamed to say that I ever did anything like that. People often assume that working in a bank is a respectable job which requires the highest degree of integrity - my experience of working for a bank is that they are the (edit ) I would just no longer play the game.

Guest Battleaxe

This might go part way to the (edit)on our current account. The bank never gave us an explanation as to how the money was removed from our account, or who perpetrated the fraud.

When I complained about the odd £20.00 going missing I was told we must have done using a cash machine as our pin numbers were used to get the money. it has set me wondering. Especially as they know a large amount of money was removed from our account fraudulently.

The bank suddenly have done an about turn regrding the misselling of our insurance on our loan, but still not have removed the interest charges, so perhaps now the tactics of Barclays have been exposed and the attitude of some staff members, this might make the rest of the banks sit up, take notice and do some damage limitation exercises and be more forthcoming with goodwill.

I mentioned back in 1998 about the English banking attitudes and practises ,it is on our web site.

Now how will the OFT react regarding what bank charges should be now that the Yorkshire Bank's costing have been exposed. it has to be similar for all the other banks?

Fantastic programme and it is good to see CAG given exposure also.

Well done to the reporters who went undercover to give us this insight.

I will never trust a bank again.

Rebuttal on editing: JanetM I see you have edited this post. This has been proven in court and is not libellous. The bank admitted this.

Our complaint regarding misselling of the insurance was also upheld by the FOS.

I realise why people are nervous regarding libellous statements, Mine aren't. They have been proven and upheld.

I am careful what I post and do not make statements which cannot be proven without documentation. I am not that stupid.

I hope my rebuttal will be allowed to stay on this post without editing, after all freedom of speech is a right.

reply in post 145