• Tweets

• I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Glennyboy v Egg

glennyboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They absolutely have not. How can I prove that at court?

You don't have to prove that they didn't. They have to prove that they did, which they will not be able to do. Remember the onus of proof is entirely on the claimant.
I phoned Carters this morning
Okay from now on no more phone calls to Carters or Fredrickson, everything needs to be done in writing. You need to acknowledge service of the claim against you and state that you will be defending in full. This will move the claim to your local court and give you an extra 14 days to submit a defence. I would also send the following to Carters via special delivery (give them 14 days to comply)

In the matter of

XXX vs (defendant)

Claim Number XXX

In XXX Court

Soliciters Address

DATE

YOUR ADDRESS

Dear X

RE: REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

I have received the Court claim filed by your Company. To enable me to file a defence and counter-claim, I require specific information regarding the account to be provided forthwith. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below. The information must be furnished by the (DATE). If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

IN RESPECT OF THE ALLEGED DEBT CLAIMED, I REQUIRE:

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of any default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. A transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, repayments and payments and both the original amount of the loan and any repayments made to it the account.

b. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

c. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account.

d. True copies of any deed of assignment and/or default notice with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

e. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

f. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

g. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

h. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

i. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

j. A copy of all account statements for the duration of the agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

4. A copy of your complaints procedure, as required by the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours Sincerely,

XXX (Type, don't sign your name).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Please note Carters may tell you that they don't need to supply the information. If they do this don't panic. It actually plays into your hands.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent the letter demanding Carter supply all info as per Rory's post.

Filed defence stating Fredericksons have never complied with my CCA, and the fact that my previously agreed payments have gone missing ( only just discovered that, £400 missing).

Have now received a notice of discontinuance stating

Between EGG BANKING PLC Claimant

and

GLENNY BOY Defendant

NOTICE OF DISCONTINUANCE OF PROCEEDINGS

TAKE NOTICE, that the Claimant hereby wholly discontinues this action against the Defendant.

We certify that we have given Notice Of Discontinuance of proceedings to every defendant against who the Claimant desires to discontinue.

BRYAN CARTER

blah blah

Where do I go from here? Can they start this all over again?

I can't believe how this firm can cause such worry with their bullying, knowing full well they haven't got a case!!

Rory, thank you so so much for your help. You certainly know your stuff .

• 2 weeks later...
Can they start this all over again?

Only with the permission of the court (CPR 38.7).

• 6 months later...

I don't believe this. I have now had a letter from a firm called Lewis. Along with this letter was a letter from Egg saying they had now assigned the debt to them.

These people are now demanding full payment, despite the last Court action being wholly withdrawn !

Where do I stand.

I would write to them and inform them of your outstanding CCA request and the fact that this account has previously been to court with a discontinuance. I would also make a complaint to the OFT under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and inform the DCA that you have done so.

• 5 years later...

Well, five years later Robinson Way are now telling me that Dryden Fairfax will be considering court action. Nothing has ever been resolved regarding my CCA and lost payments to Capquest and I now have to dig out all my previous paperwork (if I can find it !), including the discontinuance letter.

Good start to the New Year.

I have spent half a day digging in the loft for paperwork. Looking at it I have found the following:

May 2007 - CCA Request to Fredericksons Solicitors and Capquest. Ignored by Fredericksons and letter from Capquest returned cheque stating Egg can't provide one.

April 2008 - Bryan Carter Solicitors file Court claim . They were CCA'D and requested to provide all information under Civil Proceedings Rules. Both requests ignored. Defence filed.

My 2008 Discontinued at Court

Nov 2008 - Assigned to Lewis (CL Finance) Debt Recovery. Informed that this matter is still in dispute. CCA'd - no response.

Jan 2009 - Lewis and Howard Cohen Solicitors are preparing Court papers. Both are informed that this is a) IN DISPUTE B) Already been to Court and discontinued. No response, ut no Court action either.

Dec 2013 - Robinson Way ( HLH Holdings) now state that they are passing to Dryden Fairfax to consider Court action.

As far as I can see, the last payment to Egg was Dec 2007. I cant believe these people are still hounding me after all this time. My other half is very ill with breast cancer and I'm struggling to cope with this as well. I am loathe to acknowledge any contact from anyone after all this time in case it restarts any sort of clock( statute barred ?

Also..... on checking my Egg statement up to Dec 2007, there are a number of " Credit Card Repayment Protector" debits totalling

nearly £800 !!. How did I miss that one.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, but I really needed a New Year offload .

Any suggestions ?

You can claim back the PPI of £800 but they will probably just credit it against any debt so you need to calculate whether this £800 plus interest is worth chasing or whether to just ignore them and leave it. I would be waiting for them to write again and then send them a SB letter and if they still continue use it as a counterclaim. If BC become involved again you can hit him with a vexatious litigant claim as 2 bites at the cherry are enough to get him barred from using civil procedure without special permission. Yous is one of the few cases that may get him.