department for work and pensions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, got a letter this morning asking me to pay back a crisis loan that i got, when my husband and myself were out of work, the debt is for £49.66, but the date of the loan is 1989, i told them about statute barred, and he told me that a government loan is not covered by statute barred, is this right, i need to know where i stand, i have had no other letter about this, and the leter states that it will be immediatly transfered to a debt collection agency, the date on the letter is the 14th march and it is now the 20th, so i have already lost 6 days, any advice would be great, thanks

Why not try ring the OFT and ask them? It sounds as if teher may be a grain of truth in what they say, but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

No, unfortunately benefit debts are not covered by the Limitations Act.

Here's a similar thread,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74702-dwp-debt-management.html

It should answer the question.

All the best.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Do you acknowledge you owe the money? Do you have the money to repay?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Government agencies do (generally0 ahve a tendency to be nicer than financial institutions (cue lots of people posting about crap experiences with government agencies). why don't you try telephoning them and expalining you acn't ever remember having received this money, you've had no previous correspondance about this money and you would like the account put on hold while they investigate this for you?

I typed a reply but it disappeared before I could post it.

You should ask for some kind of proof. If you go to your local DWP with some ID they will probably provide you with a printout showing when, why, how much the Crisis Loan was for and if they have access to SFCS, when and where the giro was cashed.

If you're not happy tell them you want them to investigate, which won't be easy after so long.

If everything seems to be in order, it may be better to just pay rather than let it go to a DCA.

Tiglet,

Good advice.

Most people will have a horror story about one Govt dept or another, but I'm sure they're better than DCA's.

At least when the Govt nicks your money, they have the decency to do it in a relatively polite way ;)

....light the blue touch paper..........and run like hell.........:smile:

I'm already locked in the cellar with the baby's potty over my head x

• 6 months later...
so basically, i can ask them to prove that i had received it 18 years ago, do you think this will be worth a try,they might not have kept the relavent paper work, or is this a lost battle, should i appeal maybe,

They may not have the paperwork as it is normally destroyed 4 years after the date of it (something dated 20 march 2003 is destroyed 20 march 2007) unless it is to do with money cumming out of yr benefits or you have requested some paperwork as evidence that u owe them money.

my be is they have destroyed the evidence by now which is good for u as they cant say u owe them money as they have no proff u recieved it

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Very quiet here....there must be at least one nonce looking to make their name...????

I aint a (edit) and l would advise u never call me that again as that is treatening and/or abusive behaviour.

I did not no that this had closed.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.