• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was hoping to talk to caro about this but not been able to. What I was going to suggest was that you had a paragrpah in your letter something like

Hardship

All my income comes from benefits and the levying of charges by the Defendant has caused me and my family fiancial difficulties and real hardship (also I believe that the Defendant's charges constsitute assignment of my benfits by the Defendant and to the Defendant contrary to s187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 and/or s45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002, and that the contract terms that the defendant relies on to make these charges are void by virtue of the same sections). Staying my claim would add to the hardship I have suffered as a result of the Defendant's actions. The FSA has said that hardship contstitutes a good reason why cases should be allowed to proceed.

inserted, perhaps as the first paragraph.

You might not need the letter, but if the judge or defendant's solicitor (if they bother showing up) suggest or request a stay, you can use it to oppose the stay.

All the best for tomorrow. Let us know what happens.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me Steven. Thanks for helping out.

Maggie, please don't even think of not going tomorrow. You've come so far it would be a waste of all your time and effort. You know how YB like to drag things out to put people off. Don't fall at the last hurdle without a fight.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Best of luck maggie - thinking of you - go get your money babe. ;)
Thanks georgie.Going to set off at 9.05Just t osee if any registered letters come before 9.00.Doubt it thou.Just my luck having to go to court.S----- bricks

Good luck Maggiemay, I hope that you come back with a very bif smile on your face, I am in a similar position, but my case is not until September, and the YB have informed me that they may be asking for a Stay.

Good luck i will be thinking of you.

Coach1

Hi everybody.Well been to court.The barrister for yb was really nice He explained that there would be a stay.As there where 2 stays yesterday.So a stay it is for me For 12mths .A Bit p------D off but what can i do.The barrister said something about appeal.But he recons nothings getting done till when this goes to higher court.ThenThe judge said they will pay all the owe you and interst.

So sorry for you maggie - but at least you have survived with your dignity. I think you can appeal I am sure caro will advise you on that should you wish to go down that road. I guess it just means waiting that bit longer. Congratulations anyway for getting there I know it must have been an ordeal for you, so put your feet up now and pour yourself a large something or other - you deserve it. ;)

Yes well done Maggie, we know how nervous you were but you did it! I'm afraid a lot of cases are getting stayed at the moment so you we will all have to be patient, I guess.

So sorry for you maggie - but at least you have survived with your dignity. I think you can appeal I am sure caro will advise you on that should you wish to go down that road. I guess it just means waiting that bit longer. Congratulations anyway for getting there I know it must have been an ordeal for you, so put your feet up now and pour yourself a large something or other - you deserve it. ;)

hi Georgie.I dont think its worth appealling.The way things are at the moment.They are putting stays on all cases.The judge said nothing will be done till the test case.Then if the banks lose i will get the lot plus interest.And what they owe me up to now.Altogether to now its £3000.Which buy january will probably be £4000.nice holiday there for next year.And little car.Just have to wait and see

Hiya maggie only my opinion but I also doubt appealling would help any, plus it will be another £35. I guess we will just have to wait now. My claim is for £5000 without any interest as I had not added any on as I thought it would be over the small claims limit and I expected it to be sorted out on the 15th. So now I think not adding the interest was a mistake as it could go on for a while - if only we had a crystal ball oh well say lavie as they say. Keep posting anyway. I have just put my copy of the court bundle in the loft. :D take care babe.

Well at least you haven't lost Maggie and there's still hope. If the test case goes as it should, we'll all get our money back. By going to court you made sure that your case will continue.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well at least you haven't lost Maggie and there's still hope. If the test case goes as it should, we'll all get our money back. By going to court you made sure that your case will continue.
Hello caro Received a letter this morning form court.Her what it says

1.AS THIS MATTER CONCERNS A MATTER WHICH IS THE SUBJECT OF AN ACTION JOINED BETWEEN THE OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING AND VARIOUS BANING CORPORTIONS IN THE HIGHT COURT THE OUTCOME OF WHICH IS LIKELY TO DETERMINATIVE OF THE CAUSE OF THE ACTION HEREIN IT IS ORDERED THAT THIS ACTION TO BE STAYED FOR THE PERIOD OF 12MTHS COMENCING THE DATE OF THIS ORDER.

2.EITHER PARTY HAS PERMISSION TO APPLY BEFORE THE EXPIRY OF THE STAY TO REMOVE THE SAME AND FOR DIRECTIONS AS TO THE DIPOSAL OF THE ACTION.

3.iN DEFAULT OD ANY SUCH APPLICATION BY EITHER PARTY THE ACTION SHALL STAND STUCK OUT WITHOUT FURTHER ORDER ON THE FIRST DAY AFTER THE EXPIRY OF THE STAY.

In this claim,you have brought a claim against a bank on the basis that the terms and conditions under which charges have been impose upon you by the bank are unfair within the meaning of the Unfair Terms and conditions in consumer contracts regulations 1999and/or contitute unenforceable penalties.

On the 25 july 2007 a number of the larger banks entered into an agreement with the office of fair trading and finacial Services Authority under which proccedings would be commencedby 27 july and persue expeditiously in the comercial court court to dertermine on a test cause basis these very issues.Mr david steele has been assigned to handle the litigation and,on the 30 july he issued directions with a tight timetible with a view to the issues being tried in january or feb2008

The commercial court litigation has been desighned t oensure that the issues are delt with expeditiously,Fairly and in an orderly manner.It is likely that the litigation will dertermine the issues in your claim or at lest give consideratable guidance to the court in dealing with it.Therefore an order has been made of the courts own initiative that the case be stayed with imediate effect,Pendding the ourtcome of the comercial court litigation with sufficent time been allowed for any appeals that may be made.

If you consider that,You may apply for the stay to be lifted.Any application should set out why this action should be allowed to proceed now,given the commercial court litigation has been designed to determine the issues which aparently exist between the parties in your case.

You will aslso note,If the the claim is to continue.The burden is on you to apply ffor directions once the stayed has expired.

Acopy of this letter and the accompanysing order are also being sent to the defendant bank.

Are all the cases same as this ?

thank you maggie