• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

It's only £30, but I want it Back! ***WON***

Odd Fellow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NO. To young. eusa_whistle.gif

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole charade is a joke.

There is a chance that the woman who's replying to me is uneducated as to the legality of the situation - there's also a chance that they know that they may win.

What's certain is that whatever is happening now, the cost to NatWest in running with this is far more than the £30 taken in the first place.

Indeed, I have also been able to use Nat West's calculation (they offered £25.40 representing the difference between a £20 charge and the current £12.00 charge and taking into account any interest etc.) to work out that the £30.00 charges (£20 and £10) now amounts to £95.x.

Until Nat West made this offer, I had no idea as to how I might calculate interest etc. so thanks to them for that.

I think that because the £30 was made up of two charges (£20 and £10), it is choosing to ignore the £10.00 because it's lower than the OFT ruling and "assuming" that it's OK because of it. I'd like to get Nat West to PROVE that the £10 charge (I don't know what the premise was under which it was charged) was a genuine pre-estimate or real actual cost to the bank.

Oh, this is going to be fun. :D

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Guest littlesally

Sorry to interrupt your thread but just a quick question:

Are Natwest now reducing their charge to £10? Or am I misinterpreting what you've written?

Sally x

Nat West could end with a whole poultry farm load of eggs on their face over this one.

They are obviously not aware of the type of person they are dealing with here and are probably used to people thinking 'well it is onyl £30-lets not bother'

How wrong they are.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

O.F.

It is down to Nat West to prove these charges are not penalty charges for you breach of contract. If they want to be as idiotic as they appear to be let them carry on and hang themselves. They think they are above the law of the land and their not.

Theirs arrogance is never ending.:mad:

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Natwest are something else its really an odd bank because before i knew about all this being able to claim back charges I had called them and asked them to levy my charges several times in the past and they did it, twice, so why cant they give you back your £30, i dont get them, i really dont...!

Sorry to interrupt your thread but just a quick question:

Are Natwest now reducing their charge to £10? Or am I misinterpreting what you've written?

Sally x

Sally,

You're misintrepreting.

As far as I know, Nat West's charges are £12.00

The £10 was a charge that was in relation one issue that also meant that they levied a £20 charge too.

I don't recall what the charge was called or for. Actually, I don't care what it was for, I want them to justify the charge by showing that it actually cost them £10 to cover the work.

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Nat West could end with a whole poultry farm load of eggs on their face over this one.

They are obviously not aware of the type of person they are dealing with here and are probably used to people thinking 'well it is onyl £30-lets not bother'

How wrong they are.

Yep, that's what I'm hoping.

I spoke to Martin Hickman at the Independent about this. As suspected, he's not interested right now, but has asked that if I need to call the bailiffs in again to get in touch with him as he wants to be there this time. :D

Got it fee for administering dishonoured cheques or direct debits. Their words not mine

Thanks

Got a link?

That's priceless! A Fee. Hmm. This will be in relation to some bounced DDs last Feb then. The same DDs that I took Abbey to court on and won.

Good website oddfellow:)

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

• 3 weeks later...

The deadline was Friday - Nat West ignored it.

Actually, they did more than ignore it. I telephoned on two occasions during the week to invite them to settle to avoid the hassle and cost of court. I was told that the bank had issued it's final decision (ie to pay me only £25.44) and that was that - I could take it to the onbudsmen if I wanted.

Nat West has made no attempt to justify the charges, despite having been asked to do so. This is an important point as it's made up of two charges £10 and £20 relating to the same item. Neither has been justified and Nat West is chosing to ignore the £10 anyway, making reference to the £20 only.

That alone is reasonable justification for taking the matter to court.

Anyway, completing a moneyclaim form now. Will keep you posted.

Odd

OMG!!! :o Can't believe nat west are even thinking of refusing to pay you this money!!! Seems they'd sooner pay shed-loads of money to cobbetts........... only to end up having to pay you anyway!!! Good luck mate xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

I suppose that Nasty Vest are now so entrenched on these issues that it has become routine for them to refuse to pay out even the smaller claims and let people take them to court.

Cobbetts, as mentioned before, must be making loads of dosh so they are not fussed either way-make hay whilst the sun shines.

PPMAN159

Well, due to exessive workload, Nat West has got away with a few extra days of not paying - but today, I found time to fill out a moneyclaim form and this bank has managed to incur a further £30 on top of my request for £95.40 - oh, plus £2.94 in S.69 interest!

I am astonished that Nat West has taken this approach - if it had played ball, I'd have settled for the £30 it originally took. Since it takes no interest in trying to negotiate a solution (apart from a take-it-or-leave-it offer of £25.xx) then it's left me with no option.

That seems like justification in itself for court action.

I cant believe that we have managed to post 42 threads on a £30 charge-amazing!!

I suppose that Nasty Vest have become so entrenched that they cannot now pay up without looking stupid(or should that be more stupid)

They are now going to incur court costs and additional interest.

It will be interesting to see what the final settlement figure will be.

PPMAN159

I think front page on -------- THE MAD MAGAZINE would be the best spot for this bank.

Can sympathise with you entirely. I had to submit MCOL against Black Horse for £25.40! In the end SCM (their solicitors) had to pay up, but it cost them my court fee. Then about a week later I got another cheque from Black Horse for £25.40. Talk about left hand not knowing what right hand is doing!

I agree that it is totally ridiculous but perhaps they are under the impression that you won't fight for the money, whereas we all know you will! ;)

Good luck

Spot

Spotnot v MBNA and their nasty solicitors (on behalf of my friend)

If I have helped in any way, click my scales.

Remember, we were all newbies once!!

When you win, donate!!!

Indeed, I will fight for the money. What's daft is that they must believe it too; my final letter to them contained a copy of the N1 form I was going to submit.

To be honest, £30 is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. It's the principal and the reasonably safe knowlegde that I am protected from it's costs should I make a hash of it - which I don't expect to.

Already, the £30 has balooned to nearly £130 including court fees. Now it's going to have to waste some legal person's time in dealing with this too.

It's utter lunacy but the banks appear to have dug a hole from which they are unable to crawl - there be dragons wherever they go from here and Abbey has taught this one to breath fire......

To be honest, £30 is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. It's the principal and the reasonably safe knowlegde that I am protected from it's costs should I make a hash of it - which I don't expect to.......

Tis not the point but the principle of the matter!!! It's your 30 quid - they took it, you want it back, they're stalling, you're going after them, they'll back down, you'll win!!!!

The lunacy must end!!!!!!! Keep going oddfellow, it'll soon be back in your pocket! xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

I cant wait to see the judges face when this one lands on his desk!!!

Don't you just wish you could be there?

In the meantime, I have received a copy of Shat Vest's ack notice stating that they dispute all of the claim and will file a defence.

Oh well, just another saga that needs to be played out.

Was interested to see yesterday that Tim Brennan's Damages case has been adjourned. Very keen to see this man win.....