Used car problems......advice please!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently bought a car from a used car garage, the fuel light was on when we bought the car so we assumed it was because it was low on fuel, however once we filled it up the light stayed on. I've rung the garage who informed me this isn't covered in the warrenty, i'm sure i'm covered on this because of some kind of consumer rights act, however i would appreciate any advice.

The Sale of Goods Act says that all goods you buy must be of satisfactory quality, fit for all normal purposes and as described. This Act does apply to second hand goods, but it does not cover faults which can be attributed to normal wear and tear.

How old is the car/what mileage is it/what did you pay for it? This will have a bearing on your rights under the above Act. Your rights do get weaker the older the car gets, as it accrues more wear and tear.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Hi Rosie, thanks for the reply the car is a y reg(2001) and has done 116,000 miles and cost £2050. It's in really good nick apart from the listed faults.

I rang up the garage today and left a message saying the car should be working properly when driven of the show court as these problems certainly weren't brought to light. If they refuse to put it right i plan to get it fixed else where and forward them the bill, i will persue through the small claims if necessary.

• 1 month later...

This has all turned sour, the garage attempted to fix the fuel light however in the process messed up the fuel sender unit which we discovered when the car was leaking diesel. We then took it to a local trusted garage who sorted out the leak for free but informed us of various other problems ie

1) non existant rear suspention

2) bent stub axle or knackered bearings on the driver side rear wheel

3) fuel sender unit had been sealed with bathroom sealant and had holes drilled into it

4) Needed valet on back seat where fuel had leaked through

5) original fuel light problem.

They had the car for almost 3 weeks and fixed most of the problems, but today they informed me they aren't prepared to fix the wheel or valet the back seat. I now plan to take legal action to force a refund as the car is unfit for purpose and they took an unreasonable time fixing it, i also plan to claim back any fuel used going to the garage, taxi fares used for getting to work when car was getting fixed, and damages as its actually the girlfriends car who is 7 months pregnant and this has caused loads of worry and stress. I plan to get the AA out to do a report on the car and will also be looking to retrieve this fee.

Does this all sound feasible and does any one have any advise...luke

Good Luck to you, i bought a lemon of a used car and even with the help of a solicitor i am having a hard time sorting it out, basically i owned the car for 168 days and it was off the road and unusable for 59 days,it had 6 repairs carried out in this time, but the garage and the finance company were not bothered, i would think you will have a better angle to attack them as they have left the car in a dangerous condition, and garages get shut down for that sort of useless work...i would go and see a solicitor soon!

Long time ago in a galaxy FAR FAR AWAY, there lived an elf who shot banks for a living.........

Now through the power of the internet there is the CONSUMER ACTION GROUP,

Watch out they are getting crafty those pesky CRITTERS!

Banks will tell you their charges are transparent!

So is the invisible man but that does not mean he is fair or lawful.

DONT GIVE UP! FOLLOW THE CAG ADVICE AND RECLAIM YOUR CHARGES.

CAPITAL BANK! YOU ARE NEXT.