Have you been asked for £10 to process Prelim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have you been asked for a further payment to process your prelim or any other stage other than your initial S.A.R Letter???

If you have could you please post details on this thread stating :

• What amount

• At what stage

• The reason given

• Any wording or details given to you either written or by telephone

As much information as possible would be greatfully appreciated and may prove very useful in the fight against the banks.

Thank You

A few people seem to have been asked for this Jules. I think it will be useful to get this information. Thanks for highlighting it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

I'm trying to recover charges for a friend from the Clydesdale Bank and I was ask for £10 at the prelim stage (didn't need them to send any info as we had all the statements already)

They asked for this in a phone call. I told my friend to phone back and say that it wasn't right.

Bank said it was a standard charge and would confirm in writing.

Friend did not get a letter to confirm it but £10 was taken from her account.

I wrote a letter on her behalf asking for it to be repaid. To my knowledge, and 16 days on they have ignored this request.

I am thinking about taking this up with the ombudsman as a separate issue from the rest of claim.

What is the thinking on this?

It sounds as though they are treating the prelim as a SARs request.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Habell,

Is this right? You sent a prelim letter asking for a refund of charges, at which point they phoned and told your friend that there was a standard £10 fee for answering the letter?

What you could do is send a DPA request +£10 fee and specifically ask for a recording of the two phone calls.

When you submit the claim you can include the DPA fee and spurious £10 fee.

Yes thats exactly what happened. I sent prelim asking for repayment of charges, Bank phoned asking for £10 calling it a standard charge.

I know it doesn't make sense but thats exactly what they have done. It's money for nothing.

My problem, like many others in Scotland, is that the claim comes to just above £1,500. Means I have to crop this to £1,500 if it goes to court. Now that CB have found a way of stopping second claims I don't want to run up anymore charges.

Do you think I can treat it as a separate issue?

Even then money spent on registered letters will soon surpass the £10

Yes. Contact the Ombudsman immediately but firstly as well as the SAr suggested by Michael send them a letter requiring justification for the £10 which was taken out of your account. this is clearly an abuse of their access to the account.

Unfortunately I don't expect that you will ever receive the phone recordings that you want.

However, I suggest that you write out a statement giving date time etc and as much verbatim of the call and what happened as you can.

get your friend to do a similar one.

Do it now as there is a value in writing down statements at the first opportunity.

If we have evidence from others that this same request has been made we will compile them all as an evidence pack and provide a copy to any one who wants to complain.

A body of evidence from several independent witnesses will be extremely compelling

Do you think I can treat it as a separate issue?

To be honest, I don't really know, but it would be a good idea to write a separate letter saying you have noticed they have debited £10 on xx/xx/xx and can they explian the reason, to try and get something in writing. They may back down and say it was a mistake or try and claim it was for a DPA request, in which case you can ask for the telephone recordings. I appreciate that this seems a lot of hassle over £10 but they seem to have started doing this (usually verbally) quite a few times and it needs to be stopped.

Ignore the request and move on to the next stage of your claim when your deadline expires.

Get some evidence of their request if you can such as a letter. Ask the bank to confirm their request in writing and that you will then send them the money.

best of all, get a recording device from Maplins and attach it to your phone.

Record all conversations with your bank as a matter of routine.

Do not give warnings that the calls are being recorded. you do not have to.

If you use Internet Telpehony then record using Skylook from Record Skype Calls. Get SMS Alerts, Voicemail in Inbox, Outlook Reminders via Phone and more:. Excellent piece of software

Report any such requests to this forum

they asked me for £10 at the perlim stage also by phone i asked for them to put this in writing witch they did not do but they did send me a cheque for £10 with a compliemt slip but no explantion

I sent a cheque for £10 when I requested copies of my statements, then when I sent my letter with details of charges attached, I recieved a letter back asking for a further £10 in order to process the request, by either cheque or cash! I'm currently waiting to speak to someone at Yorkshire Bank, but what do i do next if they still persist in needing the £10?

I sent a cheque for £10 when I requested copies of my statements, then when I sent my letter with details of charges attached, I recieved a letter back asking for a further £10 in order to process the request, by either cheque or cash! I'm currently waiting to speak to someone at Yorkshire Bank, but what do i do next if they still persist in needing the £10?

Refuse, when the 14 days is up you allowed in the prelim ,send them the LBA.

If you have an account and they debit the tenner to that, follow the steps outlined above by michael/bankfodder.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I received a letter dated 27/3/07 - 'We refer to your letter dated 18/2/07............and write to advise to enable the Bank to carry out an investigation on your above account a standard fee of £10 is required.' My letter was simply claiming a refund with an attached schedule. I had already had a SAR and paid £10 last year. My request made no mention of the Data Protection Act and neither did their response - I can provide a copy if necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/bankcharges-quickguide.pdf

"Fight the good fight, finish the course and keep the faith"

Following my reading of the articles on this site and other web sites, I decided to reclaim my charges from the Alliance & Leicester. I finished up using the Claims on line facility to take them to court to reclaim the monies. Initially, they advised they would refute the claim and I felt I was going to be lumbered with a court charge but lo and behold, 2 days before the cut off date, they sent me cheque for a full refund. Unfortunately there was a veiled threat that they are also going to write to me about how I conduct my account.So, if you are going through this process just keep your nerve and persist - Good Luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and support fedup. You're quite right, and if people stand up to the banks they will back down, as they will over processing letters without the need to pay further fees just to respond to a letter.

Perseverance I'd be grateful if you could scan the letter if you can and send it to me at [email protected] I'd be grateful.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

caro

I don't have access to a scanner but I sent a copy to Bankfodder. Perhaps he can get a copy to you. Alternatively, PM me your address and I can send you it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as BankFodder has it that's fine thanks Perseverance.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone has very kindly sent me one of these letters but I'm afraid that it was binned!!

I would like very much to get hold of another if someone could help on this.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Caro

I have sent another copy to BankFodder and he has also given me an address in Warwickshire to post it to - which I presume is you! Hopefully, you should get it tomorrow.

Could be.;)

• 1 month later...

Interestingly I received a letter (on 20/03/07, 1 Month after initial request) confirming receipt of my £10 and indicating that they (Clydesdale Bank) have 40 days in which to provide either my statements or information of all charges. Unsurprisingly I am yet to receive any statements but have gone ahead with my claim regardless as I have 90% of my statements anyway.

Amusingly, their defence states that I have not provided an account number in the particulars of my claim and are therefore unable to obtain copies of my statements (that makes two of us) and accordingly are unable to plead to the specific charges I have said applied to my account. Perhaps the breakdown that I provided them (on 3 seperate occasions) was not clear enough!!! Perhaps a standard level of literacy is ongoing problem within Clydesdale Bank itself.

I received an acknowledgement of my complaint to the information commissioner also stating that they send these complaints in batches to the banks but as yet I have heard nothing further.

k