• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Credit AGREEMENT -or- APPLICATION? RBS Advantage Card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm reading this that the CCP doesn't have to provide you with a copy of the agreement when it is given to you for signature, as there isn't an agreement to send, or where the customer can take two copies of the application if they so require. If you look at this with a sensible head on, can you imagine the confusion there would be if application forms came in triplicate?

Of course... I totally agree

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets look at this in sequence:

a prospective customer picks up the application so he applies.

So this is the first document. and this isnt required.

The application still requires a signature on the agreement, so I cannot see how this can be enforced.

Show me where it says this in CCA - this looks contradictory from OFT. Perhaps an explanation is needed from OFT?

Z

Just adding my penny's worth...

Many moons ago when I used to offer finance / credit on purchases from my shop (with Paragon - so sorry guys. If only I'd known!) I would fill out an application form similar to those posted, then, while the customer was still in the shop, phone the details through to Paragon, who would give a yes or no answer as to whether the customer was given the finance or not. So the customer walked out of the shop knowing they had the money. We would have taken the deposit for the goods and arranged delivery on the say so of that conversation with Paragon. It wasn't a case of waiting for the customer to get a formal agreement, sign and return to Paragon before we got the okay to go ahead. I think that's why 'they' are saying it IS a valid agreement. Providing all the other requirements were there (total, interest, etc). :(

I'm reading this that the CCP doesn't have to provide you with a copy of the agreement when it is given to you for signature, as there isn't an agreement to send, or where the customer can take two copies of the application if they so require. If you look at this with a sensible head on, can you imagine the confusion there would be if application forms came in triplicate?

From memory there were four copies with Paragon - 1st & 3rd for Paragon; 2nd for the customer and 4th for us (retailer). Although we stopped offering finance years ago (too high interest!) I'm sure I'll have one of these in the dusty archives. Will try to find one soon.

a document which is also an application form that a prospective customer picks up from a shop counter or from a leaflet dispenser.

I am still concerned about the use of the word ALSO in this part. Doesn't this mean an application can also be an agreement. I thought the DTI/MP letter you posted Peter said it could not be both.

Can I jump into this and ask, if, in my case, I need to send two seperate CCA letters to NatWest Cards- as I have 2 credit card accounts (Gold and ordinary mastercard) with them. I was planning to send one letter - detailing both accounts (and enclosing two £1 postal orders).

Can I also be cheeky and ask why it is important to include "'I do not acknowledge any debt to your company". In my case - I have missed a number of payments and they seem unwilling to listen to any request to establish a DMP - I was going to take them to task on their failure to respond to my five letters and CCA them at the same time. Is this wise ?

Thanks All !!

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest 30 March 07

Statements received 2 May

SAR sent Barclays 30 March 07

SAR sent Barclaycard 30 March 2007

SAR sent RBS 5 April 2007

I think that seems fine to send the one letter but the 2 payments.

Without an properly executed CCA then the debt is unenforceable - guess until such time you have had sight of the CCA then you don't acknowledge a debt. Frankly, they take no notice whatever you put!

IMHO I would just send them the CCA, why alert them to the fact that you have had no responses to your previous letters? The less they do - the worse it is for them - thus, better for you.

Guest Battleaxe

I am not sure about one letter LB, I have have found you really have to make it VERY clear for the little darlings. they get so confused and then plead that your request was not clear. Had experience of this when I tried to take a short cut and send one letter with two payments, they returned one payment.

Guest Battleaxe

If one request went astry if two were in the same envelope, how you prove you requested two?

The only you can proveit, is two requests, each in it's own envelope and both requests sent recorded delivery. This way the creditor has no get out clause.

If they can try any trick in the book to get out of complying and you haven't got ironclad proof you sent it, you don't have a leg to stand on. We have to do things lawfully and keep our cases watertight.

it is no use complaining when you don't get the response you want from the creditor. They are past masters at this game.

Thanks BattleAxe, LB and All - Two letters it is !!! :)

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent to NatWest 30 March 07

Statements received 2 May

SAR sent Barclays 30 March 07

SAR sent Barclaycard 30 March 2007

SAR sent RBS 5 April 2007

Guest Battleaxe

I am only speaking for experience and learning the hard way. If those of us who have experienced their little tricks and had redo things, don't pass this on to others behind us, we would not be helping you escape the pitfalls.

Hi

I think it is pretty plain that an agreement can be an application even if only due to the fact that it is happening all the time.

We have to remember that the agreement is not executed until both signatures are on it, so the debtor signing does not execute it unless the creditor has already signed, either in the presence of the debtor when of course no copy is sent because you will already have one. Or else to be signed and returned in which case a copy will be sent.63(2)

In the case of the agreement that is picked up or sent where you keep a copy of your unsigned agreement and send it off for the creditors signature, secton63(3) requires the creditor to send back a copy of the executed (signed agreement so that the debtor can see that it has not been altered before the creditor executed it.

Also although these agreements are in the strictest sense said to be uncancellable according to the OFT if the agreement says You have a short time to cancel on the front or anywhere it has to conform to the agreement and copies of document regulations as if it was.

This if you think about it leaves a whole new avenue for pressing unenforceability under section 127(4), as a copy doc without the creditors sig supplied under 63(3) (The only copy that has to have both sigs)would have not to been executed if not signed by the creditor. If the copy they send you under say under a 77 request was not signed by the creditor then how could the 63(3) copy thus they have not complied with section 127.

Bes regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Very true Peter, and for a s78 request unsigned in the same manner means that they could never have complied with their obligations under s85 for credit cards either, so no sig by the ccp means they are stuffed.... the enforcement by a court order is irrelevant as they haven't complied with the act and therefore cannot charge interest on the agreement

I am only speaking for experience and learning the hard way. If those of us who have experienced their little tricks and had redo things, don't pass this on to others behind us, we would not be helping you escape the pitfalls.

I started off being frugal and heading up my letter with both account numbers and one cheque, but now I destroy a rainforest - I submit one CCA letter and one SAR for each account AND I write a covering letter explaining their obligations for each, ie summarising what I have just sent them but I still only send one cheque...

and so far most have ignored the requests which is fine because I then send them a bunch of official default notices... with a covering letter...

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am still concerned about the use of the word ALSO in this part. Doesn't this mean an application can also be an agreement. I thought the DTI/MP letter you posted Peter said it could not be both.

#

Hi

No It said that in response to a section 77- request an application form would not do.

What this is saying that an agreement can be used as an application form.

That would be executed on the creditors signature.

Basically if the document says agreement regulated etc on the top the creditor believes it is an agreement and if it contains all the relevant pt's and conditions it is. The only difference is who signs it first.

Since it is only executed when both sigs are on it.

If it is a document picked up from a retailer or something it becomes executed when you send it in and the creditor signs it. He then must send you a copy back in 7 days so you can check against the copy that was with the orriginal that none of the conditions have been altered.

If you are not happy you have 5 days to cancell.

If it is a distance contract you have 7 days from the day the creditor signs providing you already have a full copy of the T and Cs .

This is basically the case although there are a few minor ellements i have left out.

Peter

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Off topic somewhat but I'd just like to tell all those that were interested, my son's wedding went like a dream. Weather was brilliant and everything went like clockwork; until I got home the next day to discover my PC had died on me. Extra outgoings for a new machine which is loaded with Vista and I don't like it. The machine's a bit iffy as well. I've some catching up to do.

IanM

Hi nidge

something like..........

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account.

I understand that you are allowed to charge for this service, so I enclose the statutory fee of £1

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is an offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities, or a claim filed in court for noncompliance.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer and creditor is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours faithfully,

etc.

----------------------------------------

edit as you see fit

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

hi nidge

or you can do it a bit more "stealthaly" (if thats a word)

Dear sir

With the current media attention on debt, bankruptcies IVA’s etc, I am in the process of organising my own financial records such as bank statements, agreements, loans, etc to try and fully understand and record my financial position.

I do not have a copy of our agreement or any statements. With this in mind please send me a true copy of the signed executed credit agreement between ****** and myself. As I’m sure that you are aware that under the obligations of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 you have a duty to supply this but in doing so are entitled to make a charge. Therefore I enclose the statutory sum of £1.00.

Also I believe that I can get all the statements and any other data that you hold on me by paying the sum of £10.00 as is my right under the data protection act 1998. I think that this is called a Subject Access Request and has to be complied with within 40 days.

Please find enclosed a cheque for £11.00 to cover both items

In closing may I thank for your time and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

yours etc

-------------------------------

they may think that you dont realise whats going on :-)

and then when they dont comply in time, youve got em.

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hi everyone,

I have been ruminating over prescribed terms, specifically the total charge for credit (I should get out more, I know:eek: ) and want to raise a point for discussion, that may also prove very useful for those individuals whose agreements sadly;) conform to the CCA 1974 and Regs 1983 etc...!

On an agreement, lets assume it's a credit card, where the interest rate is clearly displayed, as are the charges for late pmts and going over the agreed limit. Of the many agreements I have looked at, nowhere can I find a statement to the effect that interest will be levied on said charges. This will not come as a surprise to anyone I dare say. The point is, the CCA 1974 is very specific and whilst I may seem like I'm being pedantic, if it's not in the contract, it cannot be added, but it should form part of the TCC otherwise people are being deceived. It may also provide an argument as to the enforceability of the agreement as it should be stated clearly that interest will be levied.

It may seem like an obvious point that interest will accrue on said charges, but the banks and c/c's don't have to add interest but they do nevertheless! Being the cynic I am as far as the banks and c/c's are concerned, I believe it is policy not to disclose this fact in the T&C's, as maybe even the hierarchy within these Companies think including it is a p*** take too far, even for them!

All comments welcomed and appreciated...!:)

Regards,

Laiste.:-)

Hi everyone

please have a look at this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-753131.html

look like its airtight...:-(

any ideas

BTW they were 18 days past the 12 working days

Dave