• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Allocation Questionnaire ***WON***

mimward
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mim - good luck with that. Whilst you must be ready and prepared to go to court it is unlikely in the extreme that your case will get that far. I had a chat with my bank manager yesterday who, having asked me never to quote him on it, agreed that "retail banking" (high street banking) had completely messed up by automating their systems so much. In the good old days if you went over your limit your bank manager would have your file on his desk and he'd give you a call and try and sort it out (manual intervention). Nowadays you don't even get a letter and the process is so highly automated that, in increasing their profit margins, they have left themselves open to the refund process. Happy Days! Stick with it and if you need help just shout.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Will.

Just out of interest how long does it take before you hear if the judge has accepted the draft order for directions? I took my allocation questionnaire in on the 19th March, but in a previous thread "the 3 roses" said it took about a week before they heard from the bank.

mim

Hi Gary, I have downloaded and printed an online version of the AQ but now cant find the link. I have been reading loads of posts from all sorts of people but I think the link was on one of yours. If it was you could you please post it? and if it wasnt you do you know where I can find it. Many thanks and also to all of you luuurrvely people helping the likes of me who doesn't know her AQs from her URRLS ( whatever they are!!!!);):D

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

I have now received a Notice of allocation Hearing which will take place on the 20.4.07 at Kingston Court

5 minutes has been allocated for the Allocation Hearing. On the back of the notice is another letter which basically says that the district judge has decided a hearing is necessary before a final decision about allocation can be made. I am ordered to attend (which I am happy to do) The case has been listed with other similar cases. I think he is dealing with Lloyds in one block.

Then it says "This would be subject to any representations by any of the parties involved in such cases proposed to be dealt with together that he should do otherwise" Does this mean as long as none of us object to being heard at the same time?

The judge wants to see if any of the cases can be settled, also to see if it is desirable for more than one case to be finally heard with other cases, and if so which. what documents and evidence should be heard, whether any should be tried as test cases.

The court will not hear from any witnesses as to the facts of the case, but will be giving directions for the final hearing.

Has anyone else had one of these?

Does this mean my draft request has been ignored?

Any comments would be appreciated.

mim

Hi

Info on Allocation Hearing on this link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

Barty:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html I WON!!!!:D :D

If I have helped, please click my scales:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

The judge will attempt to get the parties to agree to settle every claim there and then - at least thats what happened in the last batch of allocation hearings at that court.

In the link Barty posted for you, there is a link to "Stan1 v Lloyds" - he had a block listed allocation hearing a while ago at the same court with the same judge, you'll find some useful info in his thread. Stan1 is actually very helpful and won't mind answering any questions you may want to ask him.

The draft wasn't ignored, directions will be decided at the allocation hearing. As I said though, its 99.9% likely to be settled, if not before the hearing then at it.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Mimward,

Wasn't around yesterday, got your PM this morning.

Looks like Gary H has answered your questions :D

I doubt if Lloyds will bother to turn up, but if you need any further advice please post again.

Pondy :)

LloydsTSB - Current Account claim £5,554 settled unconditionally 25.4.2007 :D

If the Pondfish has helped click his scales! ;-)

Please donate to this site if you can! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Will see you in court then !!

I wonder if different banks will be in the same hearing? I would have thought there would be different hearings for different defendants. But maybe not.

What documentation are you taking?

mim

Hi Mimward / Popcrash,

Good luck for the 20th - will be looking to see how you get on!

Cheers, you had any word from your bank Mimward? if not......

"Hi all,

Abbey's cheque arrived today.

I have spoken to the court and let them know. They advised me that I don't have to attend, just to fax them that the payment has been received and that we will only withdrawl the case once the funds have cleared into our account.

Popcrash, Call Inga Kirkman on 0207 756 4332 at Grabby. She sorted out my payment."

Hi

I got my refund after I sent my AQ in and as far as I know Lloyds didn't, as I said we got the letter from Lloyds a week after we had returned our AQ wilth full settlement. I attached the following draft for direction in my AQ

In the #### County Court

Between

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Cour

• A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

• b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made

• c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise

• d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed

• a) Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon

• b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not

• c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was

• d) If such charge is not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters intended to be relied upon showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.

• e) Any witness statements.

• f) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order

Again make sure you can comply with the order before sending! It basically means that they have to disclose a full account of how they make up their charges before you get to court and obviously they don't want to have to do that!!! It is instead of asking for full disclosure and the judge is more likely to send it out. I found all this on the website in the court section. Good Luck.

Hi did you put this in the section which sys reasons for counter claim?

Hi

I put it in on a seperate letter and referred to it in section G - Other Information. I think there is a link previously on this thread which will take you to all the info about the allocation quesionnaire. You need to put some other info in this section as well.

Good Luck

x

Hello all

an update for you.

Went to court yesterday, and although Lloyds had sent a letter saying they would not be attending, someone was there representing them. The judge was very nice and very much on my side. He was not happy with lloyds that they had not settled with me. Conversation went a bit like this:

Judge - why hasn't this been settled?

Lloyds - We are requesting full disclosure and direction for order.

Me - I have also requested Draft order for directions in my allocation questionnaire.

Judge to Lloyds- so are you really trying to tell me you don't know how much you have charged her? don't you have records?

Lloyds - bit flustered - well we do have records but we are seeking clarification from the claimant as to how these costs are calculated.

Me - I have provided spreadsheets detailing the charges I am disputing. I am only disputing the Overdraft Excess Fees , not normal account charges or interest.

Judge to me - May I see the copies of your correspondance to the bank?

(so luckily I had taken all my court stuff with me and had copies of everything.)

Judge to me - and did you receive confirmation from the bank that they had received this information?

Me - No I have only had limited correspondance from the Bank and none from their representatives despite contacting them on several occasions. However when I saw the Banks defense the final sentance refers to the fact I was requesting bank charges over 6 years which were statute barred. I took this to mean they had reviewed my spreadsheets and had picked up on a charge I had included which was over the 6 year time period.

Judge - That is a perfectly reasonable view to have taken, and I completely understand why you would think that. any reasonable person would think the same, however in this case Lloyds use a standard defense which they use for every claim irrespective of the different case. Therefore this does not necessarily mean you have input anything incorrectly on your spreadsheets.

Judge to Lloyds - In my opinion you are not contesting liability here are you?

Lloyds - mumble swerve

Judge - But you are not contesting the liability of this claim - merely the calculations of Mrs Ward-Jacobs, and now she had supplied the details of her calculations here in my presence I am witness to the fact Lloyds have now been served with the necessary informaion and that you can now proceed with settlement.

Lloyds - I shall forward this information to my client, and will proceed.

The case has been adjourned to the 25/6/07 but the judge expects us to reach settlement prior to this date.

The Lloyds man was actually very nice as he can see both sides of the case, so we went together for him to take copies of my spreadsheets. He told me off the record they are settling all claims, and that lloyds will not want to go back to court on the 25.6.07 as the costs are too high for them. Also they do not want mine to turn into the "test case".

He also said they will never admit liability which was what the judge was trying to imply) becase that would open the floodgates of claims.

So in theory I should hear from Lloyds within the next few weeks with a settlement offer. I feel like holding out for the full amount plus court fees and costs which is now over £4k. As they have put me under a lot of stress, and going to court is not really a nice experience. Its so alien to my usual sphere of life.

Anyway futher update as and when I hear from Lloyds.

Mim

Hi Mim

Well I suppose that's a victory isn't it? I'm still really bemused as to why LTSB even let their representatives attend court when they then do not reasonably defend their position. Why don't they simply pay up well before it gets anywhere near court?

John

Hi Mim,

I'll second Michael Browne's praise, and i just want to say i think you handled that brilliantly. Hope i can perform like that, if i have to step in to court soon.

Your a star, and your reward is on it's way. Happy days! :D

• 1 month later...

So its been a while and I have had absolutely no contact from Lloyds.

My next court date is this Monday (25th June at Kingston again), and although I'm apprehensive because the previous judge said he didn't expect to see me again, I'm pretty fed up with Lloyds.

All I have had is a letter from a new firm of solicitors representing Lloyds, saying they are now handling the case. They are very friendly when I call them, but with 2 working days before the next court date, I think it doubtfull I will get a settlement letter from them in advance. They say this is because Lloyds have not "got their act together".

But I wonder if they are spinning me a yarn? And when I get to court I will have a battle on my hands?

Any comments gratefully received!!

Mim

This means another lost morning from work for me.

Any suggestions?

I intend to be more prepared this time, get my spreadsheets and photocopies in good order.

hi mimward i recieved my AQ yest but unsure what to put in other info- i put in this case shoould last no loger than 1 hour as instructed on a link from here but dont understand all this talk of draft etc could u run me through it pls bud

So its been a while and I have had absolutely no contact from Lloyds.

My next court date is this Monday (25th June at Kingston again), and although I'm apprehensive because the previous judge said he didn't expect to see me again, I'm pretty fed up with Lloyds.

All I have had is a letter from a new firm of solicitors representing Lloyds, saying they are now handling the case. They are very friendly when I call them, but with 2 working days before the next court date, I think it doubtfull I will get a settlement letter from them in advance. They say this is because Lloyds have not "got their act together".

But I wonder if they are spinning me a yarn? And when I get to court I will have a battle on my hands?

Any comments gratefully received!!

Mim

Lloyds (and SC&M) are definately in turmoil. I had a couple of cases on June 7th and settlements were faxed to the court 10 minutes before the PTR started. Lloyds did not even attend. I am convinced this delay was due to inefficiency as they had contacted the court that morning, prompted by a call from me the day before, claiming they had never received notification from the court of the PTR and could it be adjourned. They then faxed a letter 10 minutes later that was supposedly written and sent to the court on the 1st June offering settlement inj full, on both cases, including contractual interest.

The icing on the cake came 3 days later when someone from SC&M called hoping to settle one of the cases that they had settled three days earlier!

I'm glad SC&M aren't on my side!

Whilst the above is my experience, make sure that you are fully prepared to go to court and comfortable with the reasonings behind the "No its not a fee for a service" argument just in case they do turn up for a ruck! And don't forget those T&C's !!!!

Hi

Thank you for asking the question about the info to go into section G I am also at this stage and I would like to take mine to the court on Monday one question should I also put in about the stay (asking the judge not to award a stay?)

This has threw me off abit i cant figure out exacty what difference it makes addin this draft thingy me jig!! and also once i add that to AQ Do i wait for response or send spreadsheet with my charges on to bank/court HELP HELP HELP!

had a phone call late yesterday, offering to settle.

Email followed shortly after with the offer in writing. A bit short of what I was asking for but they have included my court fees.

Now I know I'm entitled to ask for extra compensation (expenses, loss of earnings going to court, parking !!) but I can't be bothered.

So have agreed the amount with Lloyds.

Need to contact the court today, and then wait for them to credit my account.

So hopefully the end is in sight.

mim