Speeding fine from Holland

Guest Gertie100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Gertie100

My boss has just received what he thinks is a speeding fine from Holland. He was driving a hire car at the time and believed that he got flashed speeding.

However his view is that why should the onus be on him to get the document translated and respond?

Anyone had experience of this?

Thank you all!

Well, they've probably debited his CC with a fee for forwarding the Penalty ticket to him, and as EU driving fines are enforceable in the UK (but not points, as yet) it might be cheaper to look for a € amount ant pay it. The Dutch are pretty good at dealing with English!

Guest Gertie100

I'll tell him to check his cc statement...

blacksheep, totally agree with you - he is just in a beligerant (??) mood today!!!!!!

They're enforceable as a liability on the motorist -and the DVLA already give your information on request, but it is up to the individual country to decide whether to take you to court in your own country, and many do not (although your registration can be stored and if you return, a police check can result in further nastiness). Hire car companies, will always supply the data required, and they may also take the cost off the fine too if levied by an administration.

There is action pending for UK councils to have a reciprocal deal with their EU counterparts, have a look here;

Information Sharing across Europe Vital to Prevent Motorists Flouting Traffic Laws - 05/02/2007

Aaah, it reminds me of my old days living in Greece... As they knew there's no way they'd get the money off foreign tourists, they used to unscrew your number plates, and the only way to get them back was to go and pay the fine at the police station. Now that's what I call affirmative action. :-D

Guest Gertie100

I did pre-warn him that the next time he goes to Holland he will probably be arrested!!!!!!!!!!

Because it was a hire car, he'd probably be OK! The issue of fines is usually dealt with on-the-spot with a fine, which saves all this bother. Of course, its taken a long time before we jumped on the bandwagon. Every other country will prevent your progress until you pay, so it seems reasonable for us to do the same to them!

Your boss wont get arrested that easily (maybe a shame???) depends on how fast he was doing. He might get stopped and have to pay than and there. And if he was really speeding he might loose his licence (although not sure if they can do it to foreigners).

In general it is that if you are over 40km/hr of the speedlimit (so say 90km in 50km zone) than they will take your car and you licence and you are stuck :), but I think for foreigners they just get very hefty fine, payable either by cash or credit card. So tell your boss that next time he goes he needs to have his CC with him :)

Oh and if you need some help in translating part of the document I am happy to help :D

LMS (dutch girl)

Guest Gertie100

He's now arguing that the company should pay his fine - can of worms anyone?

Thanks all!

My OH had this only a few weeks ago, he had someone who was dutch translate it, it wasnt a huge amount but it costs about £25 to pay it into the account stated. But you have to pay it - even if it was a hire care paid for by your firm. Its not a good idea not to

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

My boss has just received what he thinks is a speeding fine from Holland. He was driving a hire car at the time and believed that he got flashed speeding.

However his view is that why should the onus be on him to get the document translated and respond?

Anyone had experience of this?

Thank you all!

In the Netherlands there are two official languages, Dutch and English. He can simply send it back to the Dutch authorities and ask for an English version.

EU driving fines are enforceable in the UK (but not points, as yet) it might be cheaper to look for a € amount ant pay it. The Dutch are pretty good at dealing with English!

Not many other countries actually have points.

I have spent a lot of time in dubai we have an office there.

For interest they are most civilised in respect of speeding and parking offences.

Basically speeding costs 150dirhams around £25. You dont pay on the spot they send you a ticket and you can pay striaght away and get a discount. You can do this either in person or there are machinces in some of the malls to pay at.

Or you can leave it and pay at the end of the year when you re register your car.

Incidentally they did try a points kind of system but they dropped it, it was mainly rich locals getting banned and it wasnt appreicated.

its the same thing with parking fines too, trouble is it can make registering your car quite expensive if you 'save' them up.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA