• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mechs & Wife vrs Halifax Card Services ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As advised I'm starting a new thread on this one.

But help! I feel so dumb so don't shoot me down if its obvious! For though I understand what to amend if I was sending in the preliminary letter to the bank I'm stuck as to what to amend when I'm going to send the same letter to Card Services regarding overlimit fees and late fees. And am I claiming back the interest that they have already taken out?

If anyone has sent a preliminary letter to Card Services can they copy it in here ... without their personal details of course.

What I have amended in the prelim letter so far!

Request for repayment of charges

Dear

Your Reference: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last 4 years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to overlimit fees, late fees, and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations. If you say that they are not then you will pleased to demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

You concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £000.00 plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX

Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they charge interest on charges. From the look of my statements of all my credit cards they only charge interest on purchases. I'm sure you would just be claiming for the charges and if it got to court, the 8%.

Thanks Maddyrose, thats what I told the other half ( she will come in as me ) you can tell its her cus er inglish is proper thtas cos i tawt her to speak proper devon LOL :D :D :D

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

:confused: anyone able to help with this one please?

In progress:

:) Thank you very much Tom :)

In progress:

I received the following in response to my DPA letter and am somewhat puzzled as it makes no reference to the DPA:

Dear Mr Mechs

Our Reference xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

I refer to an email received on the account.

I note you are asking for details of all manual intervention on account. We are under no statutory obligation to record this information and thus are unable to help further with this request.

We can, of course, supply copy statements. I therefore enclose all statements from account open date 24th June 2002. There is no charge for this service.

I trust this clarifies our position however should any of your concerns remain unresolved please let me know what you'd like me to do to put matters right. We are keen to resolve your concerns.

If I am unable to do sok, you will also find enclosed a copy of our Compaoint Leaflet that provides details of how you can contact the Finanacial Ombudsman Service for help. However, if I don't hear from you in the next eight weeks, I will assume you are happy and close my file.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, then please telephone me on the above number.

Yours sincerely

Margaret Rae

Complaint and Consumer Guidance.

There is no response to that following that was in my initial DPA letter:

'Additionally where there has been any event in our account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, we require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to our Visa business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.'

Surely they are in breach of my DPA request? :-?

In progress:

:D Thank you once again Tom!

In progress:

Recieved today our statements adding them up it comes to £605

In progress:

Hi there

I would be very interested in this case, as my Halifax Visa card is now on £1200 although the card limit was £500 and I was a mere £30 overlimit before they started adding all their ridiculous fees, despite paying the minimum amount monthly this is what it has amounted to

Any more advise please and I would love to know how you get on with them

despite paying the minimum amount monthly

Hi sub ... Always pay more than the minimum amount! I can't recall where I read something about that it will take forever to pay off if you pay just the minimum. Hopefully someone with more financial acumen than I can explain why.

Any info, response we get we'll post in here.:)

mechs

In progress:

...because most of your minimum payment each month is simply enough to cover the interest they charge in that month. For instance I was only able to afford the minimum payment this month of £96. The interest they charged, after I had paid the £96, was £93.57.

Screwed? Not bloody half mate.

Good luck with your case, I hope you succeed and will be watching this space!

We will keep everyone informed :)

In progress:

• 4 weeks later...

Better do an update here,

We have got to the stage now where we are about to start court action .......original claim is 605 pounds..... today had a letter offering .as a good will jesture ...... wait for it now and dont get excited .........100 pounds and the usual form they want you to sign ..........but hey no amount on it if I filled it in and added a few 0000s would they notice it do you think, what a donation to this site that would be ................ guess they would so will have to reject it I suppose, they dont half make you work for your money dont they:-D

In progress:

Hey Mechs

See they are still playing hard to get with YOUR MONEY...just thought ld see how you were getting on....lve just sent my Prelim. Got a call and a letter from their Debt collectors, who they call, In house Collections, dont see the diff myself as they call themselves debt coll on their letterhead, more things to confuse us...anyways lve asked both the Halifax and their DEBT Collectors not to contact me again by phone and that l will not be making any payment until my dispute has been resolved to MY satisfaction, the amount l owe is less than what they owe me, so there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep me posted about whats happening with your claim interested to see how they play it...

Marilyn:p

--------------------------

HALIFAX A/C - SETTLED 4 AUG

HALIFAX CC - Data Protection Act SENT 2 AUG

15/09/06 - rec'd all statements - Eventually!! -521.81GBP

21/09/06 - Prelim sent

08/10/06 - LBA sent

11/10/06 - Offer £278.10, no thanks

01/11/06 - MCOL £862.56

03/11/06 - offer £521.81 - not sure yet

03/11/06 - MCOL letter

_____________________________________-

:lol: don't be like the banks - give a little back:lol:

DONATE SO THEY CAN CARRY ON HELPING PEOPLE LIKE US!

There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered!

Advice & opinions given by marilyn are personal. If in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

HI Marilyn, thanks for looking in, we will get there just have to be like you STAMP the foot a bit harder :lol:

I have had to lay the law down even harder in another thread , but hey we will get there

then we can thank BF and Dave and all the mods and not least of all the Banks for making us take out court action and giving us that extra feeling :lol: :lol:

The wife reckons its the Halifaxs way of getting us to save ........... I dont mind I am just going to raise a glass say Cheers to the Halifax and thats a drink or two less you can have at your xmas party

In progress:

Hi Mechs,,

I wonder how they work out how much to offer each request for a refund, because our offer was just over 50 % of £401.

I've read somewhere (I think it was on the bank employee's thread) else that the more an employee can save their bank- the more brownie points they get. This could only explain why different people are offered different amounts.

Anyhow go for it. I intend to both with Barclays and Halifax.

:) Hi Brussels, thanks for the info, and good luck with your claim too ... we'll be watching for your future success! :)

In progress:

Hi Mechs

Glad your stamping your feet, maybe needs to be a bit harder....

Mechs l have a question....Why do they wait until court action before they pay up, they know they're gonna pay so why not pay up once the LBA has been sent, yeah l know that they are hoping we'll all go away, and we arent, but really you'd think that they know by now that once someone has issued the LBA they mean business....????? just a thought....you'd think they save everyone a bit of time, but of course we are talking about banks here so it isnt any surprised l suppose!!!

Had an email from the 'lovely' margaret yesterday to say that the Blair witch project, Debt Collectors that arent :) wont be contacting me for 2 weeks, arent l lucky, by which time they hope my COMPLAINT will be resolved, going by what has gone before l wont be holding my breath, if it isnt resolved she will be contacting them again, whoppee!!!!!

think your wife is right....less drink for them at xmas and loads more for us dont you think:-D

Well going to enjoy whats left of the weekend, hope you & your wife have a good one.

Keep up the tantrums coz l mostly certainly am, they aint gonna get away with it.:p

Marilyn:p

--------------------------

HALIFAX A/C - SETTLED 4 AUG

HALIFAX CC - Data Protection Act SENT 2 AUG

15/09/06 - rec'd all statements - Eventually!! -521.81GBP

21/09/06 - Prelim sent

08/10/06 - LBA sent

11/10/06 - Offer £278.10, no thanks

01/11/06 - MCOL £862.56

03/11/06 - offer £521.81 - not sure yet

03/11/06 - MCOL letter

_____________________________________-

:lol: don't be like the banks - give a little back:lol:

DONATE SO THEY CAN CARRY ON HELPING PEOPLE LIKE US!

There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered!

Advice & opinions given by marilyn are personal. If in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Hi Marilyn thanks ......well as they say we like to give you extra with the halifax ............me I dont mind filling out the court forms after all then you slap on the 8%,

Best of luck with your claim ..have a good weekend

In progress:

Why do they wait until court action before they pay up, they know they're gonna pay so why not pay up once the LBA has been sent, yeah l know that they are hoping we'll all go away, and we arent, but really you'd think that they know by now that once someone has issued the LBA they mean business....????? just a thought....you'd think they save everyone a bit of time, but of course we are talking about banks here so it isnt any surprised l suppose!!!
They are hoping that somewhere along the line you will either find it all too scary and back down or think 'I want £3000 back and they are prepared to offer me £300 - I'd be crazy to lose out on an offer like that! I'll take the money and run!'. Once it gets to a court summons they have no other option but to pay. I suppose enough people fall by the wayside or are so grateful for getting back 10% of what was taken from them to make it a worthwhile strategy.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

They are hoping that somewhere along the line you will either find it all too scary and back down or think 'I want £3000 back and they are prepared to offer me £300 - I'd be crazy to lose out on an offer like that! I'll take the money and run!'. Once it gets to a court summons they have no other option but to pay. I suppose enough people fall by the wayside or are so grateful for getting back 10% of what was taken from them to make it a worthwhile strategy.

I agree..... I have seen a few HSBC claims where they offer near what people are asking .........I suppose they are thinking it will save the court summons and the 8%

In progress:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks