Software license

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think Microsoft call it the "system builders" version.

It's the version of XP I have bought with new motherboards etc. from a national computer supplier (Novatech.) These OEM versions of XP did install on any machine; and I have changed motherboards without having to buy a new licence (which is of course the key requirement for me.) The price of the full OEM version was (£63 for XP Home edition) was about half the price of the *upgrade* retail version.

See Windows XP Home OEM Service Pack 2 : ms-wxphvu

"PLEASE NOTE - In order to comply with the terms of the licence this software must be bought with a qualifying non-peripheral hardware component, such as a hard drive, motherboard, memory, CPU, etc."

Anyway, my point is that there are different versions of Microsoft software with different licence conditions.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of that input above (however getting confused as you all have assumed I know the basic jargon ie OEM? so half of what you have discussed is meaningless to me) but the appreciation to the thought is there.

I think generally for somebody who just wants a basic PC to put together word douments that contain tables, pictures with the opportunity to edit etc etc, things are getting worse.

years ago you could edit picture and crop them quiet happily in word, now on the PC I have works, which wont even let me do that, and on the new lap top I have wordpad - which beggers belief as you cant even justify a text document - i mean what the hell is the use in that.

I find it disgraceful that I should be expected to pay nearly as much on software as I have on my laptop to have the abilty to crop pictures, format tables and flipping justify a word document.

For somebody who produces reports, court documents and academic papers/presentations it appears the more microsoft modernise their systems the more usless it becomes for simple ground level work!!!!!

I flipping peeved off withit all!!!!

Can anyone advise where (via the internet) I could download an older vervision of a word processing programme?

Thanks

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

OpenOffice.org: Home

Pretty much as good as MS Office 2003, and free. (i.e. it's not even old! It's brand new) Takes a LITTLE getting used to the new functions and menus, but on the whole it's fabtastical.

OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer; an "OEM" version of Windows is one which you can buy with computer components and/or a fully ready computer. These versions tend not to be supplied by Microsoft if they come with a full system; they are supplied by the PC Manufacturer and work only with that make (and sometimes model) of PC. For instance Dell supply a "Dell-ized" OEM version of MS Windows XP/Vista with their brand new PC's. It will only run on Dells.

OpenOffice.org: Home

Judging by my local manufacturer's website, Microsoft say the OEM licence for Vista is only valid if it supplied with a complete, assembled computer.

IANAL, but I assume Microsoft cannot prevent computer companies from selling the OEM versions separately ... that would be a restraint of trade and thus illegal in the EU.

I guess if you buy the OEM version of Vista and install it on a computer you built yourself, the licence is only valid when you transfer the complete computer and software to someone else.

Tim

I just dug out my Works disc and jargon with it.

Now yes I know Im sounding thick here, but this is not the errrr........ operating system....... and just runs programes so does all that you have said previously apply?

I couldnt see anything on there but hey what do I know - I cant make out half of what is in the T & Cs anyway.

I mean if I put the disc into a laptop (ihavent) am I going to get Bill Gates SWAT team crashing through my window, or will the disc just not work?

I know all of this may seem logical to you, and I may come across as though Im trying to do something dodgy but I can assure you Im not - I just want to know can I put my works disc which came with my "PC" PC (see dont even know what they are called) into my Laptop?

To me it doesnt make sense, its like buying a suit to wear to an interview, but not being allowed to wear it anywhere else.

Surely once you have bought something you can use it when and where you want to? as long as only you use it. I mean I can understand the not lending it to others etc etc.....

Otherwise what the point?

Allyxia

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

I mean if I put the disc into a laptop (ihavent) am I going to get Bill Gates SWAT team crashing through my window, or will the disc just not work?

In simple terms, it is generally a copyright infringement to install a piece of software onto more than one machine at a time, unless the software company gives you permission to do that.

Some software has built-in controls aimed at preventing you doing that; most software simply relies on your honesty.

IANAL, but: Copyright infringement for personal (non-commercial) use is a civil offence; whether you copy your CDs onto tapes to listen to in the car, photocopy the crossword in the newspaper, or install unlicensed software, (or post in a forum a copy of a letter from a bank's solicitors, for that matter!) you are committing the same civil offence. The copyright owner can demand payment from you, or demand you destroy the offending copies.

I wonder if those musicians complaining about illicit music copying all have legally licensed versions of all the software they use; and I wonder if those in the software industry complaining about illicitly copied software use only legally-obtained music. And I wonder if all the participants in forums who talk about software copyright infringement have paid the authors of any shareware they use. (Sure, there are bound to be some scrupulously honest people out there.)

Tim

Flipping Bonkers if you ask me!!!!!

Oh well - live and learn then dont you!!!

Thanks for advice peeps!!!

I have a good idea of what to do now - no liability to this site!!

So each time me and my colleagues swap magazines around the office we'd better watch out eh!!!!!!

Allyxia

A variation on a theme here. A few years ago, I bought a laptop from Time. It came with Windows XP pre-installed on it and it didn't come with a disk (although there was a licence sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the number on it).

Now, some time after Time went bust, the laptop died on me and I needed to re-install Windows. Problem was that I had no disk. I tried a bit of lateral thinking and tried installing it from a friend's Windows disk using my licence number to no avail. I tried contacting Microsoft by e-mail but they didn't feel the need to respond to me.

So I've been running a dodgy copy of windows on the laptop for a year or so despite legitimately owning a licence. Of course this means I'm not eligible for updates and I have to get pestered by that speech bubble every 10 minutes or so that tells me that my copy windows is dodgy.

So... what responsibility does MS have in regard to ensuring that I have a legitimate copy of their product? Or am I a filthy software pirate that should burn in a special copyrighty level of hell?