• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fred_Funk v NatWest

Fred_Funk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay guys, one final question before I subit my N1 (like Neilwoods I'm going to do it sooner rather than later, before I get bogged down in the minutaie again)...

Given I'm asking for either contractual interest (compounded) or, should the court deem this inadmissable, s.69 interest and making reference to both options in my Particulars of Claim, is it acceptable to attach two separate spreadsheets, one for each, assuming I make clear which is which?

Thanks in anticipation

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would seem not only sensible, but really the only way to proceed.

There's no logical difference between one spreadsheet with two sets of calculations on it (possibly printed on more than one page) and two separate spreadsheets (certainly printed on two separate pages).

If I've got the right end of the stick :)

• 5 weeks later...

Was hoping someone might be able to advise my whether I'm within my rights to ask NatWest for a copy of the CCA relating to my overdraft?

I've just read somewhere that a bank should be able to provide a properly executed credit agreement for any overdraft facility. Unfortunately, there are so many conflicting viewpoints on here nowadays that I'm just seeking some reassurance this is the case before I get too excited.

I'm about to issue a court claim for unlawful charges and had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that should I be successful, a significant part of my claim would go towards offsetting my overdraft.

However, I'm now led to believe that without a properly executed CCA this debt is unenforceable.

Given I have no recollection of ever having signed anything, this is an avenue I'm keen to pursue - if, that is, someone can confirm that it is indeed the case.

Over to you guys!

Thanking you in anticipation of your help and co-operation

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

How did you come to have an overdraft in the first instance ? Also do bear in mind that if you take your claim all the way. Nat West pay out by cheque.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Parkvale

As far as I can recall, I asked or, maybe, they offered. Whichever it was, I have no recollection of ever having signed anything relating to my overdraft facility.

That being the case, what would you advise?!

Fred_Funk

Write to them and ask them for a copy of the original overdraft agreement. You are entitled to this under the CCA.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

• 3 weeks later...

i sent 2 seperate s-sheets

lloyds S.A.R -sent 04/04/200

statements received 11/05/2007

prelim-14/05/2007 -£4987

lba-30/05/2007

n1-20/07/2007

Co-Op prelim sent-20/04/2007-£136.50

settled in full

goldfish prelim-27/06/2007

capital one -deemed served -01/07/2007

settlement without cci offered 17/07/2007

halifax prelim-17/07/2007

aqua--prelim-13/07/2007

welcome-prelim-30/06/2007

lba-14/07/2007

Cant find it at the moment but there is another thread about contractual compound interest which quotes a high court case where the principle of mutuality and reciprocity argument failed in a contested hearing. Will try and find it and come back with a link soon.

Cant find it at the moment but there is another thread about contractual compound interest which quotes a high court case where the principle of mutuality and reciprocity argument failed in a contested hearing. Will try and find it and come back with a link soon.

This is the thread you're looking for...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/97691-contractual-interest-precedent-lost.html

I'm aware of that and am now going to proceed on a different basis. I was going to argue for compound interest on the basis that the banking was profitting from a fiduciary position.

However, having been away for a week or so, it now seems that it might not be necessary to argue that. Again, take a look at the above thread; there's some great stuff on there which I'm just beginning to catch up with.

Fred_Funk

hi folks was wondering if anyone could help me

I made a claim to MBNA for charges and compounded contractual interest

They have offered me compounded contractual interest untill the account was closed and 8% interest which they think a court might award

however on my claim for compounded contractual interest they have paid it untill my account was closed - but I was claiming it untill the date of my claim (may 2007)

They told me I could only claim untill the account was closed does anyone know if this is true

sorry for hijacking

• 2 weeks later...

zootscoot

Thanks for pointing us in the direction of these new Particulars of Claim. Clearly, they're a little more involved than the previous ones.

That being the case, I'm sure I'm probably not the only one who is having trouble rewriting their Brief details of Claim accordingly.

In the past, my Brief details of claim went something like this...

Claimant has had a contract with the Defendant, which is conducted according to its standard terms and conditions, since 1985. Claimant is claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last six years, plus the interest it has levied on these charges. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15...

... but I'm now unsure as to whether or not they're entirely appropriate.

I'm particularly mindful of the fact the new Particulars of Claim don't - as far as I can see - make any mention of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

In light of this, am I right in thinking we ought to remove that reference and, if so, what, if anything ought we to replace it with? Moreover, are there any other bits which demand attention?

As ever, your help and guidance is very much appreciated.

Fred_Funk

Thanks to all those responsible for providing us with some new Particulars of Claim. Clearly, they're a little more involved than the previous ones.

That being the case, I'm sure I'm probably not the only one who is having trouble rewriting their Brief details of Claim accordingly.

In the past, my Brief details of claim went something like this...

Claimant has had a contract with the Defendant, which is conducted according to its standard terms and conditions, since 1985. Claimant is claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last six years, plus the interest it has levied on these charges. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15...

... but I'm now unsure as to whether or not they're entirely appropriate.

I'm particularly mindful of the fact the new Particulars of Claim don't - as far as I can see - make any mention of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15.

In light of this, am I right in thinking we ought to remove that reference and, if so, what, if anything ought we to replace it with? Moreover, are there any other bits which demand attention?

As ever, your help and guidance is very much appreciated.

Fred_Funk

Thats quite long for the brief details of claim. Are you sure it fits?

I would suggest you change it to this:

Claimant has had a contract with the Defendant, which is conducted according to its standard terms and conditions, since 1985. Claimant is claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in the way of charges over the last six years, plus the interest it has levied on these charges. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law and or invalid under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

UCTA and SGSA are not relevant. They do not need replacing as the law on penalties and UTCCR will suffice.

All the best

Zoot :)

Just keep it simple...

The Claimant seeks the refund of bank charges made by the Defendant on the Claimant's bank account ("the Account").

A schedule of these charges are attached.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

sorry:( to hijack thread - but I have seen the new POC for each bank - my case has been stayed - bundle due in by 14th August . I am appealing against the stay using the appropriate court form and will carry on with bundle - but wondered if I should be amending POC at same time? Or is this asking for trouble - as I dont know of any cases thrown out on MCOL POC ? is it a case of just recommending the new POC for those not yet in the court system?

I have asked question in A&L section but have not had reply.

thanks

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

I was more than a little surprised to receive an offer fron NatWest yesterday - given, that is, my LBA was sent some months ago and I'd had no acknowledgement of either that or my preliminary letter.

I was, then, even more surprised that the letter should say: "We wrote to you recently making you a goodwill offer in full and final settlement of your complaint about these charges." Did they hell!

It would appear the letter I have got is a bog standard one which will, one assumes, have gone to hundreds if not thousands of other NatWest claimants on the back of the legal proceedings being pursued by the OFT.

There are a number of issues arising as a result of this correspondence which will be pertinent only to my claim and which I will, therefore, raise on the thread I have started for that very purpose.

However, there is, I think, a bigger issue which will be relevant to everyone who has received this piece of correspondence from NatWest.

The letter is accompanied by a form to return, within 60 days, stating whether you accept or decline the offer.

Option 1 reads as follows...

I/We accept your goodwill offer in full and final settlement of my/our complaint.

I/We am/are aware that in accepting this offer, this will be in 'full and final' settlement of my/our complaint. I understand that this means it is unlikely that I/we would be awarded a further sum even if the test case indicates that I/we could be entitled to a potentially larger amount.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't NatWest said - very publically - they will be governed by the decision of the test case? In those circumstances, is it permissible for them to make you an offer now on the proviso that should it transpire you were entitled to more they will, conveniently, be ignoring the test case... isn't that a bit like having your cake ane eating it?!

As it happens, I have no intention of accepting this offer but, be that as it may, am interested in the legality, or otherwise, of NatWest's position.

So, tell me, what do you guys reckon?!

Fred_Funk

• 6 months later...

Guys

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Rest assured, I have had a good look around the forums but it's hard to know where to begin these days.

In any case, it's like this...

I finally submitted my claim against NatWest just after Christmas and they - or Cobbetts to be more accurate - have written informing me of their intention to contest it and provided me with details of their defence.

Needless to say, the claim is stayed at the minute, pending the outcome of the 'test case'.

What I'm anxious to find out is what kind of timetable I might be facing as and when the stays are lifted. I'm assuming, whatever the outcome of the 'test case', I'll probably have to go to court because: (1) My claim goes beyond six years; and (2) I'm asking for compound interest (on the basis of Sempra).

I presume as and when they stays are finally lifted, I will be given good warning of any court date but would appreciate confirmation of this from someone rather more knowledgeable than me. Better still, if anyone can point me in the direction of a thread touching on issues such as this I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in anticipation

Fred Funk

Guys

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Rest assured, I have had a good look around the forums but it's hard to know where to begin these days.

In any case, it's like this...

I finally submitted my claim against NatWest just after Christmas and they - or Cobbetts to be more accurate - have written informing me of their intention to contest it and provided me with details of their defence.

Needless to say, the claim is stayed at the minute, pending the outcome of the 'test case'.

What I'm anxious to find out is what kind of timetable I might be facing as and when the stays are lifted. I'm assuming, whatever the outcome of the 'test case', I'll probably have to go to court because: (1) My claim goes beyond six years; and (2) I'm asking for compound interest (on the basis of Sempra).

I presume as and when they stays are finally lifted, I will be given good warning of any court date but would appreciate confirmation of this from someone rather more knowledgeable than me. Better still, if anyone can point me in the direction of a thread touching on issues such as this I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in anticipation

Fred Funk

Fred

As I understand it, the test case is likely to drag on and on as the banks will almost certainly appeal if they lose the first round so a couple of years is probably a fair time estimate.

Once the legitimacy of charges has been finally ruled upon it will mean one of two things. The courts find in favour of the banks, in which case you don't have a claim or the courts find in favour of the OFT in which case your claim continues.

What is hoped is that in the event of the courts finding for the OFT, the banks will be ordered to repay all charges without the individual needing to make a claim. Whether this will be applied beyond the limitation period of 6 years is anyones guess and what will be ordered with regards to interest is at the discretion of the court making the final judgement.

If that makes sense, it is at the end of the day a long way of saying nobody really knows!

revolting peasant et al

Yeah, I understand all that. I guess I was thinking more in terms of what could, conceivably, occur when the test case judge makes his ruling... a best-case scenario, if you like.

In those circumstances, what kinda time frame might we be looking at before people in my position - ie ones who've already put in a claim but would almost certainly require a court date to resolve some of the issues - might need to submit our court bundles, etc, etc?!

Thanks again

Fred_Funk

That would really depend on your local court and when they could accomodate a court date its not like the ruling will come in and you will immediatly get a court date ...... Nobody can give any sort of time frame but you will proberbly receive ample notice.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear but its like asking how long is a piece of string

If it goes the distance Fred I would think that you are looking at at least 12 months before you even have to consider going to court. If the OFT win the current test case the banks will appeal and I can see this one going all the way to the Lords before we get a final and binding judgement.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks