1st Credit are noting the contents of my communication... oh yes they are

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At least they started replying, but after that things did seem to go into something of a loop.

I refer to your latest 'solicitors' letter.

I look forward to receiving the claim form, and will deal with it accordingly once received.

In the meantime, may I enquire as to whether you would like to reply to any of my messages?

With many thanks

I refer to your phone call on Friday when I was unavailable, and to the 70 second silent message left on my answering machine.

As requested previously, please put your reply to my enquiries either in writing or e-mail.

I must restate my disappointment that in 11 weeks you have only acknowledged my letters and have failed to send substantive replies.

Thank you for your recent communication.

The contents of this communication have been noted

Please telephone this office as a matter of urgency in order that this matter can be discussed.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Yours faithfully

Thank you for your letter received today.

You state that you have noted the contents, but it doesn't seem like you have.

A letter asking me to phone is not what was required. What was required was a letter replying to the points raised.

We have already established that there is no point in phone contact as you refuse to speak to me, and we have already established that I will not fall for being ripped off by being asked to phone a premium rate number about a non existant debt.

You should now send a letter that addresses all the points raised in my letters of November. You have had more than enough time to think about it, so unless you don't have answers to the points raised because you are nothing but a bunch of con artists attempting to perpetrate the low and scummy fraud of attempting to bully people into handing over money that is not due, this will not present you with anything of a problem.

I am therefore sure that I will hear from you very shortly and look forward to receiving this.

When replying, please also offer your complete and individual explanations for the following points. Please tell me why you have been:

- ignoring the matter for so long

- repeatedly sending out standard computer generated threatograms

- repeatedly calling me and refusing to speak to me

- repeatedly requesting that I call but refusing to speak to me when I do

- repeatedly contacting me when you have been sent proof, issued by your client, that there is no money due.

As previously requested, please also confirm the meaning of the message. "Yes, you email us, but we correspond by telephone". I cannot understand the meaning your member of staff intended to convey to me, unless she wished to suggest that you are refusing to reply to my e-mails or letters, something that indeed you have so far failed to do.

Finally, I have not yet received the claim form. I am looking forward to receiving it as it will inevitably attract a counter-claim, so please send it soon.

I refer to your phone call today.

Do NOT dare to phone me again. You have been warned about this harassment repeatedly and it must not be repeated again. This is your final warning; your next criminal act will result in a criminal complaint.

I have sent you proof, issued by your client, that there is no money due.

I have sent you a recording of your client advising me that there is no money due.

I have asked for a written reply to my letter on more than ten occassions.

I await your written response. If you are not willing to provide it because you know that your pathetic attempt to extort money that is not due is laughable.

Why haven't you issued proceedings as you told me you would? It is because you know your claim is groundless and laughable and would get nowhere. Because you know that you are harassin me in a criminal manner instead.

A County court claim is the way ahead if you want to pursue this nonsense. Either reply to my points raised and issue proceedings or stop annoying me.

My telephone is showing that you have just phoned me again. Why have you done this when I have repeatedly warned you not to?

Send the information I requested in writing. By telephone is in any case not a suitable means of sending the type of information that you are required to send.

Please send it to me at --------- my address at which -------- will certainly not be provided by your incompetent clients that have caused and are continuing to cause distress and annoyance through your harassment.

For your information, copy of message just sent to your client.

Thank you for your email.

Please explain why you would send the letter to the address that you knew I moved away from well over a year before you sent the letter.

As we are all intelligent people I'm sure you can work out a better one to send it to. You could use the forwarding address notified. But you could have used use the address at the top of the letter of complaint you were supposed to be replying to. Or you could have used the one you've been sending the threatograms that I've been receiving and complaining about to.

Alternatively you could send the letter to the moon, which would make as much sense as sending it to ------- when I don't live there, haven't for ages, and you know it.

The simple fact is much more likely that you know you haven't sent a reply, and are now coming up with a pathetic excuse to cover the fact. Please explain why you would wait till now to tell me you sent a reply 3 months ago when I've been complaining about not receiving that reply ever since.

At every stage in dealing with you I am left banging my head off a brick wall.

You ignore letters and e-mails.

When you do reply the replies make it clear you haven't read the original message, and you have done his repeatedly even when I have continually drawn your attention to the bit you haven't read.

I have sent scores of messages, both to you and your agents, and I have never had a sensible reply to one of them let alone one that answered the questions raised.

The sum and total of what I think you are trying to say is that you have unleashed debt collecters on me because of a crazy catalogue of mistakes you MAY have made, and in view of your comments about the phone call in November 2006 I think you are trying to say that this is a mistake you are happy to repeat and make even worse and more confusing from a second angle.

I will now ask you to do the following:

Please read every letter and e-mail that I have sent you and start again from the beginning. Produce one sensible reply that addresses all the points I have raised over the last 4 months and that adequately explains the position. You can hardly deny that 70-80% of the actions you take seem to be a mistake. You also have not yet managed to take a single complete action that hasn't involved some element of an error; whether it be not replying, sending a reply but that is irrelevant to the question asked, or sending a reply containing however many elements of the above or none, but to patently the wrong address.

One of the points I have raised is compensation for waste of time. You will also need to make sure you address this as I have wasted many more hours on you since I first raised this.

Your organisation is one big mistake, and a simple chronology of the events and our contact history will make this very clear for anyone reading it to see. You are impossible to deal with.

You have already received two formal complaints that you have omitted to deal with (or that you have sent the alleged responses to for the attention of a random address.) I now make a third.

Please, as requested before, either provide a response or send a deadlock letter so that I can take the matter further. If you don't provide either I will take the matter to Otelo anyway on the basis that you have repeatedly failed to reply to the request. You must know the process; a google search shows that you like getting dragged through it, and particularly for billing problems.

I understand you have 12 weeks to provide a satisfactory response to a complaint. I believe that gives you to the middle of last week to respond to my first letter, but as I am feeling generous I will be happy to take a response by the end of this week.

May I also draw particular attention to the fact that I have repeatedly asked you to stop your agent from carrying out criminal harrassment on me. They have been told not to phone because they refuse to speak to me and I find this to be annoying harrassment. They have been told this repeatedly. They have been told to write instead, repeatedly.

These elements are sufficient in law to create an offence of harrassment if the party so notified continues with the actions complained about.

They have repeated the action complained about on many occassions, and as well as continuing calling and leaving messages have also recently made a silent call and left a 90 second silent message on my answering machine.

As they are your agent I have also asked you, repeatedly, to ensure that people acting on your behalf do not pursue criminal courses of conduct. I have asked you, repeatedly, to confirm what actions you are taking to prevent it happening again.

If you do not want to share a liability for these actions, please take appropriate actions now and tell me what you have already done.

Please also advise your agent that the next time they call I will complain to their local police. Tell them to write.

Your agent has also notified me of their intention to lodge County Court Proceedings. I have told them that I would welcome these and look forward to lodging my counterclaim. I have not yet received the claim pack.

Please tell your agent to send the claim pack immediately. This will enable the matter to be brought to it's rightful conclusion, whether this is that you finally have to give the evidence of a debt that you have failed to provide when asked so many times before and I pay that debt but costs are awarded against you, or that a counterclaim is accepted.

Please warn your agent not to perform the same trick as yourself by sending the claim pack to an address that they know is not the last known address, at which they know it will not be received and in order to obtain a fraudulent judgement in default.

I look forward to hearing from you.

In the meantime I am happy to restate my promise to put all correspondence and recordings of all our telephone calls on a website so that people can see the sort of service you offer. My ------- goes live tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to get something ready for the weekend. incompetent--------.co.uk and ------billingfools.co.uk seem to still be available. I will decide what sounds best and get something registered soon.

Please telephone this office as a matter of urgency in order that this matter can be discussed.

Yours faithfully

Thank you for your letter, which I received today.

I would, with the very greatest of respect, point out that the text of the letter is exactly the same as the one to which my e-mail referred.

Given this, I do truly doubt that the contents of my letter have been noted at all, or even read.

Perhaps you would now let me have a reply.

Please could you also confirm if you send out real letters that make any effort to respond to points raised, or if you just send a random letter for your selection of pre-written ones.

With many thanks

I still seem to be awaiting your response. I look forward to hearing from you, in writing, shortly.

Thank you.

May I take this opportunity to politely remind you that I still seem to be awaiting your response?

Thanks

I am still waiting to hear from both of you. Why is this?

Theank you for your co-operation.

Yours faithfully

Thank you for your letter dated 2 March 2007, which I received today.

When reading it I felt it reminded me a little of something I’d seen somewhere once sometime before. On checking my records, I was wrong – it was something I’ve seen more than once before.

Please send an actual reply, as opposed to another meaningless computer generated letter that does not address the points raised.

You are reminded to write, not to phone. All correspondence in this matter will be in writing only.

I seem to still be waiting for a reply to this message.

Please don’t wait three months before alleging that you sent a reply to the wrong address again.

Yours faithfully

Thank you also for your letter dated 6 March, which I received today.

As you’ve copied and pasted the rest of the letter, I’ll do a bit of a copy and paste on the rest of the e-mail.

When reading it I felt it reminded me a little of something I’d seen somewhere once sometime before. On checking my records, I was wrong – it was something I’ve seen more than once before.

Please send an actual reply, as opposed to another meaningless computer generated letter that does not address the points raised.

You are reminded to write, not to phone. All correspondence in this matter will be in writing only.

Thank you for your email dated 3rd of March 2007.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in response and the inconvenience caused.

With reference to your enquiry, since your instructions have been sent from a non ----- account we require you to resend this message quoting any of the following three details in order to verify security :

1) Address with Post code

2) Method Of Payment

3) Billing Date

4) Services on the account.

5) Length of Time with -----.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, however this is essential for the security of our customers. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact our customer services team on 0845 -------.

For your information, details concerning this email communication have been added to the notes on your ----- account.

Kind Regards,

Yours faithfully

Thank you for your letter dated 8 March, which I received today.

As you’ve copied and pasted the rest of the letter, I’ll do a bit of a copy and paste on the rest of the e-mail.

Thank you for your mail.

Further to your query, in order for us to discuss your account, may I request you to confirm the security codeword on your account.

Alternatively, we can accept the details if you quote three of the following: services on your account, account number, billing date, method of payment or full postal address.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, however this is essential for the security of our customers. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact our customer services team on 0845

For your information, details concerning this email communication have been added to the notes on your account.

Kind Regards,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 06-March-07 concerning the 1st credit letter.

Further to your mail, please be advised to confirm the security question in order to resolve your query more efficiently.

Please send your mail from a ----- e-mail address with any three of the following information,

1) Address with Post code

2) Method Of Payment

3) Billing Date

4) Services on the account.

5) Length of Time with ------.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, however this is essential for the security of our customers. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact our customer services team on 0845

For your information, details concerning this email communication have been added to the notes on your ------ account.

Kind Regards,

By the very nature of this complaint it is not possible to send my message from one of their accounts

Security isn't needed this time...

Thank you for your email dated 28 February 2007. We are sorry for the delayed response.

Having reviewed your case, I understand we have dealt with all the points your have raised in your previous emails through this thread.

Further to your email, please be advised we have no record of your instructions to change the billing address on your account. We depend on your instructions to change any contact details in our records.

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the situation, however the outstanding balance of £---- for the service you have used has been explained to you.

-----, like most companies who are owed money, will take steps to recover any unpaid monies. This often involves referring the debt to a credit agency. In view of the same, I urge you to reconsider withholding payment.

If you wish to discuss this matter further you could contact us through the Helpline number 0845 or through a session of textchat from the link given below. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can to explain the situation.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. If you have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact our customer services team on 0845 .

For your information, details concerning this email communication have been added to the notes on your account.

Kind Regards,

Thank you for your email dated 28 February 2007. We are sorry for the delayed response.

The delayed reponse thing actually goes back to November, and it's also still counting. But thank you for your meaningless apology never the less.

> Having reviewed your case, I understand we have dealt with all the points your have raised in

> your previous emails through this thread

No you have not. I do not know what you mean by "Through this thread" but I expect it is a post script that renders everthing that came before it meaningless. Please respond to the issues that have been raised in ALL e-mails and ALL letters. For a start, there is an alleged letter that you allegedly sent to the wrong address, which I have not seen. If it contains any sense at all I need to see it, so please send it to the right address, as you said you would.

Clearly you haven't read all the e-mails, because over the last two days I have had three further e-mails from you refusing to reply to my e-mails becuase you can't confirm who I am.

Further to your email, please be advised we have no record of your instructions to change the billing address on your account. We depend on your instructions to change any contact details in our records.

If you wish to pursue that point with the regulator feel very free. The simple fact is that you were corresponding with the right address for almost a year before you suddenly took it into your head to allege that you had suddenly sent a letter to the wrong address. You also had correspondence from me from the more recent address.

Only a complete idiot would allege that it was reasonable to sent letters to an old address with knowledge of the fact that they wouldn't be received.

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the situation, however the outstanding balance of £---- for the service you have used has been explained to you.

You apparently made some kind of attempt to do so in a letter that you knew I was never going to received. That is not the same thing.

-----, like most companies who are owed money, will take steps to recover any unpaid monies. This often involves referring the debt to a credit agency. In view of the same, I urge you to reconsider withholding payment.

You can hardly expect any normal person to pay money on the basis of such nonsense and I certainly refuse.

If you wish to discuss this matter further you could contact us through the Helpline number 0845 or through a session of textchat from the link given below. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can to explain the situation.

We will discuss the matter by e-mail or in writing as stated many times previously, but thank you for your kind offer do so other otherwise, by a manner which would not have left the same trail of bewildering nonsense and contradictory statements as your efforts at sending e-mails have.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Are you being serious?

I have already requested a deadlock letter, and I request it again. This matter clearly cannot be resolved by you. You must allow it to be referred to the regulator. Send a deadlock letter NOW. (Please don't send it to any address that you know I don't live at.)

No - as explained before correspondence shall be in writing or by e-mail, where there is a record of what has occurred.

In the meantime, I have had three further letters from your erstwhile ever competent debt collectors. They were all in response to messages saying that matters need to be in writing. They were all identical letters saying that they had noted the contents of my messages, and then promptly proceeding to ask me to phone. It would be appreciated if you could ask them to send a letter that actually means something. Small mercies being what they are they do actually send them to the right address, the pity is that they send things that don't mean anything. Probaby best would be if you could ask them to send a County Court Claim pack. Having been provided by the court, these are structured such that they actually say something, and one of these may be the only way this matter will ever be resolved.

Unless of course you send a deadlock letter at the, ehm, how many times of asking? But I bet you won't :(

For your information, details concerning this email communication have been added to the notes on your ----- account.

They must make some for some reading.

Kind Regards,

With many thanks

I must do something with this now - I've been busy at work recently... I don't actually owe them money, so I do have a bit of extra leverage.

The other half of me wants to know how many times they'll send the same letter.

I'd also love to know if they'd send it in response to made up gobbledygook, but this does look like it will end up in front of a district judge, and it's not worth it when you don't know if it'll be one with a sense of humour or not....

• Haha 1

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya

What a joke!!!!! LOL. If it were me I would be getting the forms ready for a court action. You can claim damages for all the time you have spent replying to their letters; harrassment etc., Report them to FSA and OFT too.

If you dont do something it looks like this is going to go on forever!!!!!!!

Good luck

Annie

Isnt it funny how all the financial institutions have an 0800 or free number for you to call when you are taking out an account but then overnight the customer services changes to 0870 so you have to pay for it!!!!! It always used to be a free number. Last night I had to phone technical support at Toucan to set up my email. I got somebody that I couldnt understand and eventually I had to say "look, lets cut to the chase here. This is what I need. Time is moving on and so is the cost to me!!!" Why do they do this? Well, that's a rhetorical question isnt it because we already know why they do it!!!! LOL

I always state in letters that I refuse to call a premium rate number and yet they always ask me to call them urgently on a premium rate number!!!! ROFL. Needless to say they dont get the call!!!

Go for it gingerheid!!!!!!

Gemspan

I will... I will.

But I'm working about 50 hours a week at the office, at least another 20 at home, and I like to try and do some social stuff too...

I'll get round to them when things calm down. It looks like they'll still be there!

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

Just one point...If they hold a valid address for you, you can ask/demand that your telephone number be deleted from their records. If they fail to do this, ask to speak with a supervisor and explain that as they hold a valid correspondence address they MUST remove your phone number immediately. Get them to confirm this has been done. If the supervisor refuses, say that you will report the matter to the Financial Ombudsman. At the outset of the conversation, say that you are recording the call (even if you are not). You are quite within your rights under Data Protection legislation, to request your information be deleted from anyone s records provided they still hold a valid means of contacting you.

This has actually been going on a lot longer than the the period I posted the convos for.

They have finally taken my phone number off their records, that problems seems to have been fixed and I think it's this that seems to have caused them to go into their slightly hilarious loop mode.

It seems that if 1st credit can't phone and you contact them with any question, they merely write asking you to phone.

The phone conversations were quite good.

One went something like:

> Hello, I'm Miss Strident or Mr Cheeky, is that Gingerheid?

> Is it alright for this conversation to be recorded?

> I'm looking for Gingerheid, is that yourself?

> I need to confirm that it's ok for this conversation to be recorded. Are you happy with that?

> We're recording the your conversation.

> So I presume it's alright for me to record the conversation too?

> We're recording your conversation.

> So are you happy for me to record it?

> We're recording your conversation. You can't record ours.

> How many conversations are there here?

[...]

*it is finally confirmed that I can record the call.

> What's your date of birth?

> What?

> I need to take you through security

> Your phoning me.

> If you don't tell me your date of birth I'm afraid I'm going to have to terminate this call

> No bother.

> That's it, I'm going to terminate this call

*click*

Last one went something like

> It's Mrs Cheeky / Mr Rude from 1st credit. I need to speak to gingerheid.

> First of all can I take you through security. What's your date of birth?

> Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?????

> In order to deal with your call today more effectively, I need to take you through security. What's your date of birth?

> You can't ask me that, I need to ask you that.

> But your calling me, in or

> Is that gingerheid?

> As I said, before we can take this conversation any further I need to take you through security. Unless you will tell me your date of birth, I'll need to terminate this call

> You don't need my date of birth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> You're right, I'm sorry. It was a stupid thing to ask. How can I help?

> *Quietly, realisation dawning...* Eh, I need ... to confirm your ID. What's your date of birth?

> What? You call me, you refuse to give me any information about who you are, and then you ask me my date of birth??????

• Haha 1

I would suggest EVERYBODY does this!!!!

This thread is pants-wettingly funny :D

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I would suggest EVERYBODY does this!!!!

This thread is pants-wettingly funny :D

If it was in a book no-one would believe it. So unless you answer their 'security' questions they terminate the call.:D :D :D

This is absolutely hilarious!!!! You should be on the telly gingerheid!!!!

Anyway, here's another one for you that is just as stupid.

Had work done on my car last week and the bill came to £501.86. Paid £400 by debit card and said I would phone on Monday to pay the remainder. However, didnt receive my charges cheque until Saturday and it didnt go into the bank until yesterday. So, being a good citizen and wanting to pay her bill on time - I actually went to the dealership today and gave them a cheque for £101.86. The guy told me he couldnt accept it because I didnt have a cheque guarantee card. I said "but its over the threshold anyway and you've already done the work!". No, he couldnt accept it. So I said "don't you want me to pay my bill then?" He said "yes, but we cant accept your cheque". I said "well, if you dont want my money then!" and walked out.

Phoned the MD of the dealership in question and he said "but we get so many bounced cheques!". I said "but you've already done the work; you know where I live; you know my car; I've already paid you £400 and just want to pay the remaining balance" "I've brought it in because I wanted to pay it promptly!". "No, we cant accept your cheque".

Anyway, I have decided that they will send me the bill; I will send back the cheque to the MD and advise him that this is how I want to pay my bill. If they dont want to cash it, then send it back to me and I'll take it they dont want the money!!!

How daft is that? First company I've ever known not to want you to pay your bill!!!!!! ROFL.

Annie

I got a another letter from them today. Guess it says?

Yup, you were right.

Yours faithfully

Thank you for your letter date 12 March 2007, which I received today.

It is clear you are not reading my e-mails. Why are you not reading my e-mails?

You couldnt make it up. Obviously their computer system does not have the capacity on it to allow it to be programmed to send out meaningful leterrs. Either that are they are trying to wear you down until you eventually ring them. Somehow I cant see that happening. If this matter ever went to court I can imagine the red faces

If this matter ever went to court I can imagine the red faces

If they have humans there, or if computers get red faces. I'm beginning to suspect they don't have humans there, and that their computer can't feel shame.

Yup, you were right.

Yours faithfully

Groan.

I refer to your latest letter, dated 13 March 2007.

This is not funny; it is beyond a joke. I do not feel like I am banging my head off a brick wall; I am. You are driving me to the point where I feel like I am going bananas.

Dealing with you is like being stuck in a bullying and oppressive Kafkaesque nightmare. Stop sending me identical letters. I will NOT phone a premium rate revenue sharing number to talk about a debt I do not owe. There isn’t even any point in what you are asking me to do because you refuse to speak to me when I do call or when you call me.

I have sent you a recording of a telephone call to your client where I referred to your correspondence and they proceeded to tell me that I do not owe them money. I have sent you a letter from your client showing I do not owe money. I have sent you an e-mail from your client showing I do not owe money. I have asked you for the information you need to give to show support your claim.

Tell me what I can do to take this out a nightmarish loop.

Have you lost copies of correspondence or accidentally deleted e-mails? Do you need me to send copies?

Have you lost the recording of the phone call I sent? Do you need me to send you a copy?

Can your e-mail system not cope with attachments? Do you need me to post copies of the documents or the recording?

Send me a letter and tell me what it is I need to do. Please please please do not send me another identical letter.

Guest The Terminator

Yup, you were right.

Groan.

I've had countless letters from them and guess what they say yeah you've got it.Mind you when a S78 request was sent to them they actually wrote back and I quote." It will take at least 30 days to retreive the agreement from our client then we will expect payment in full".As they've already defaulted and are well on their way to comitting a criminal offence I'm just going to let these muppets hang themselves.

You know, come to think of it, I got the it will take at least 30 days to get the info letter from them too. That was in November.

I remember writing back and saying no it sodding won't take at least thirty days, it'll take less. Some hope; I'm still counting.

Guest The Terminator

I read on one thread that their only interested in going to court for "charging orders" on property.

You know, come to think of it, I got the it will take at least 30 days to get the info letter from them too. That was in November.

Photocopy every letter they have sent you, hilight the dates on them and post them recorded delivery. In fact photocopy them at least 20 times and post them daily to them. If you happen to forget to put a stamp on the letter they will have to pay the post office postage plus £1. So please dont forget the stamp. To guarantee acceptance mark the letter as they do IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION THIS IS NOT A CIRCULAR

Nah, if you were going to do that you would write "Urgent - bankers draft for £15000 inside" :)

But it wouldn't achieve anything. ...

Nah, if you were going to do that you would write "Urgent - bankers draft for £15000 inside" :)

But it wouldn't achieve anything. ...

Except annoy them as much as they are annoying you:D

If there are humans there capable of suffering annoyance that may be the case. But I think it is just a rumour that there are humans in that building. I suspect that it is just an evolved computer printer.

1st Credit is owned by Bridgepoint whos' directors include Alan Milburn MP & former minister

Perhaps a 'nice' letter direct to him might result in a response

& whilst your at it ask him if it's because of his involvement with this company that he is keen to see debt collectors given the right to break into peoples homes & assault them