• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Comet - Be Very Careful

jjandbump
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We brought an oven from comet about 20 months ago we were sold a extended warrenty.

The oven was a electric double free standing oven in stanless steel, In Novemeber we notcied the side pannels were bowing, we had an engineer out and his idea of fixing it was to hit it with a hammer and peice of wood...... Yes you read this right, since then we had 7 visits everyone said that it was cosmetic and they wouldnt do a thing.

Heat loss after this bashing became so extreme that i burnt my hand, I was advised by the manufacturers that they needed to do a accurate Suface heat temperature check. When i requested this they said that "i was not an engineer and didnt know what i was on about". They refused to do it.

I then had no choice to get Trading Standards involved, as soon as they made contact with comet,,,, like magic they agreed a replacement. (although this was a week ago now and i am still waiting for the letter to take in to store to pick a new oven).

Just be very careful with Comet, copy everything nad send every letter by recorded delivery. And keep notes of every person you speak to, visits your home and what they do.

The joke is they will only give us the current selling price as an exchange cost too, where we paid £699 for it and its now £459,, but i suppose that the difference to pay is better than a whole new oven,

• 2 weeks later...

Comet and hammers...the installers who came to replace my 10 month old washing machine which had broken down for the second time took a hammer to my cupboard breaking the door and carcass, then the guy sheared off the pipes to my waste disposal unit. Water from my sink has to be collected in a bowl and carried outside to be dosposed of. I am disabled with a spinal impairment. Comet say it is my fault because my kitchen is 20 years old. Their claims handler tell me I have to get all the quotes for the repairs and if |I don't I am obstructing the claim and they won't pursue it. This is in addition to the mad engineer who left me with damaged clothing.

In response to Comet capers, I bought a tumbler dryer from them 13 months ago, after three months it broke down I was told it would be two weeks before an engineer would be able to look at the machine, which I disputed, to which I was told by the call centre girl that was the choice.... so after two more phone calls to the supervisor and an hour later I had had enough, I phoned the manager of the store it was bought from and told her Comet had supplied me with faulty goods, not fit for purpose and I had every right to return or replace the item as it was well within the six months...after her hearing that we were already in the car with the dryer in tow she relented and swapped it immediately..problem solved...nope just 13 months after the first one this one broke down with the same fault...again some stroppy call centre girl said I had to pay to get an engineer out as it was out of warranty..then she put the phone down on me.. nice customer service..again i called and got another stroppy call centre girl who assured me I WOULD be paying for a call out so I used a different tac... I emailed the customer service dept and also filed in their survey online which gave them a terrible slating for their shoddy aftersales skills.. emails flew back and forth and after threatening them with the small claims court and a personal letter to Hugh Harvey (he is the MD of Comet) I was "granted" a free call out but if it was deemed to be wear and tear I would be expected to pay for this...The engineer came out a week later and said the motor was done and was not the falult of mine just a manufacturer fault... but because I had waited so long I had gone and bought another more expensive one ... After some wrangling I was told I would get a cheque in the post for £130.00 the full amount I paid 13 months ago... well pleased peservere always and dont be beaten by their flannel consumer 1 Comet nil points...hurrah for me and boo to Comet

call consumer direct and get them to pass it to trading standards, it was only when this happened they became very nice, i am awaiting a new oven now.... the laugh is they delivered one last week but it had clearly been dropped.

Thanks everyone. I`ve now had a letter from the claims handing company saying I must get a quote for the replacement of my cupboard and that they will consider a `contribution` to the repair to the pipeworks that they damaged - very big of them! This is because the unit is rusty. well, there may be rust on the bottom of the unit but the photos clearly show the pipes are plastic and have been broken away from plastic mountings not the bottom of the unit.

They will not compensate for the bath sheet and clothes that their muppet engineer ruined, the costs of using the launderette and leave I have had to take from work, the costs of developing the photos I was forced to take and all the stress caused. The reason I found the whole experience so difficult and stressful was that at the time I was recovering from abdominal surgery and had lost 3 stone in weight in 10 weeks so had a very few clothes that actually fitted me. I was also having to do the horribly soiled washing of the elderly relative I care for who was in hospital at that time with a broken hip.

I am determined not to let them get away with this - I would welcome any ideas on how to progress this.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had found this website a couple of years ago. We bought a dishwasher from comet & after about 7 months it caught fire.

When I phoned comet I was aked if I was sure I hadn't mistaken the steam for smoke!!!

I assured the woman it was definately smoke & I also had a few other clues to confirm it was a fire such as flames coming from the top & a kitchen full of firemen!!!

We got passed from pillar to post between comet & whirlpool neither of whom accepted responsibilty ( both of whom thought if they sent someone with a screwdriver they could repair dishwasher which was at the time melted to my kitchen floor!!).

I think comet assume that if they ignore us for long enough we'll go away, unfortunately I did but I wouldn't if had known about this website & realised I wasn't on my own in taking them on.

I urge anyone with a similar complaint to keep on pushing & don't end up like me - out of pocket & with a very strange pattern on my kitchen floor!!

I HAVE ALL THE MONEY I'LL EVER NEED - IF I DIE BY 4 O'CLOCK THIS AFTERNOON!!:-|

• 6 months later...

I can sympathise with a lot of the comments being closely associated with the situation in general. I would like to say that the sort of service, although not always accurately reported by the consumer, is, in many cases caused by many factors, including I am afraid to say the lack of true concern generated by management. They are driven by their immediate superiors to produce results based on spreadsheets created by the unseen motivators to achieve "profit". Service will never be a direct contributer to profit in my view but should be provided to encourage customers to return to , in this case Comet for further purchases. I know...... that it is the short term appearance of profit encouraged, often untrue figures which contributes to this quality of service. I would apologise to anyone who is subjected to inferior provision of service as management seem to be unable to respond likewise. Anon.

Service will never be a direct contributer to profit in my view

Can't agree with that. I made service my number one, it was to be above all else. Within 18 months of starting my business I had to employ as the workload from 'recommendation' was too much for one.

Thank you for your comment Connif. The point I was trying to make does in no way contradict your statement. I am sure that your success in providing service had more to do with the quality of service you provided rather than the profit you made from it. If all took this approach, success would follow success leading to satisfaction all round. Short term profit, I stress should not be achieved by poor methods. This in the long run only leads to failure. Sorry if I did not make this more clear.