me & mum v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an additional card on my mums Halifax credit card account on which I have racked up over £1k in charges over the last few years. I want to reclaim this as it will clear the balance. However, mum is worried that they will close her current account with them (and her husband will then find out and threaten to divorce her as he doesn't know about the credit card account balance and he doesn't believe in debt etc - anyway that's another story).

The thing is also that on quite a few occasions if I have missed a payment they have taken it straight out of my mums bank account (on payday)which is shocking that they are allowed to do this - has anyone else experienced this?:eek:

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be worried but because of this I am. I want to clear the balance but don't want to cause a problem for my mum.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Munchkin

Egg - settled in full at LBA

Barclaycard - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

Barclays - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

Stop living lies!

Get everything out in the open then deal with it!

I am twice divorced and believe me the reasons were not as petty as one of us had a bank account we didn't tell the other one about! A whole thousand pounds!!!! Get a divorce for cheaper than that and I'll give you a grand!

Stand on your own two feet, read this site totally, because all the info is here and help yourself.

Finally if you have done all that and are still unsure, by all means get in touch and I'll help.

A D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

Hi

Start by sending off your SAR, then you will get a better idea of exactly where you are. Once you have considered your position carefully you will be able to make a descision whether you want what is rightfully yours back.

Follow the procedures correctly and you will get your money back.

Regards

I claimed for a bank account and credit card and won,theyh didnt close my account,its an awful position to be in when someone dosrt know what you owe,I would reclaim them,theyh will pay you and it will make your debt less,just open another account somewere else just in case,but they didnt close with me,I think they make too much money out of me lol cos im rubbish at money,need any help,just ask

Hi

Thanks Barbershop0. I already have all my statements so am ready to go. If it was my potential divorce problem I would deal with it but it's my mums so I don't want her to be in that position. Anyway that's not really that issue it's an aside. I was wondering if they would close her bank account because of a claim on her credit card.

Thanks for letting me know they didn't close your account Mo.

Cheers

PS When I've sent all the Prelims off I'll have 12 cases ongoing. 8 already started, 4 to go!

Munchkin

Barclaycard - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

Hi - Halifax don't seem to be closing current accounts after one claim, so hopefully it will be the same with credit cards!! I'm certainly no expert, but I know if they close accounts that it's seen as retaliatory and they can be fined for it.

Good luck with all of your claims.

Best wishes.

jaxads

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

I sent off the Prelim letter today. Watch this space!!!

Munchkin

Letter received today:

"I am sure you will appreciate that like other organisations we incur costs for administering your account for late/unpaid payment or overlimit situations. The Bank believes it is fair to pass these costs on to the accounts affected rather than absorb them into other areas of our organisation, penalising all our other customers as a result.

HBOS clearly outlines our charging policy in the Terms and Conditions that apply to your account. In addition we are committed to complying with the Banking Code, which sets out standards of good banking practice for banks and building societies to follow when dealing with personal customers.

In view of the above, I regret to advise I am unable to refund the charges in question as they were applied to your account as per your original agreement.

I trust this clarifies the situation....."

Next step LBA!

Munchkin

• 2 weeks later...

Sent LBA on 19 March and yesterday received response as follows:

"With reference to your recent communication about fees and charges, we regret that you have found cause for complaint.

We are keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. I have asked for one of our Complaint Advisors to investigate the points you have raised and you will receive a response from us within a maximum of four weeks, in line with the Financial Service Authority regulations. We will of course, endeavour to reply to your complaint as soon as possible...."

Is this 4 week response correct? As I have had a couple of other institutions saying they will get back to me by a certain date which worked out about 4 weeks and how does that fit in with the CAG template '14 days' deadlines?

In any case I am OK with waiting a bit longer as I can't afford to file the claim yet (yet another £120....).

Munchkin

Sent LBA on 19 March and yesterday received response as follows:

"With reference to your recent communication about fees and charges, we regret that you have found cause for complaint.

We are keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. I have asked for one of our Complaint Advisors to investigate the points you have raised and you will receive a response from us within a maximum of four weeks, in line with the Financial Service Authority regulations. We will of course, endeavour to reply to your complaint as soon as possible...."

Is this 4 week response correct? As I have had a couple of other institutions saying they will get back to me by a certain date which worked out about 4 weeks and how does that fit in with the CAG template '14 days' deadlines?

In any case I am OK with waiting a bit longer as I can't afford to file the claim yet (yet another £120....).

You should stick to the set time table, 14 days is all they have.

Response received today!

Usual blurb ....... and then this paragraph:

"To demonstrate our commitment to you I am prepared to offer you a refund of charges to the value of £X, representing all charges applied to your account in the last year that you are eligible to claim back. Unfortunately you are not entitled to claim back any charges of £12.00 or less, as these charges are deemed to be within the law and will not be awarded by a county court" .....

Signed by Sam Goldie

Hmmm... where on earth do they get that from? One year?, £12.00 charge lawful? A rejection letter will be on it's way shortly!

Munchkin

Response received today!

Usual blurb ....... and then this paragraph:

"To demonstrate our commitment to you I am prepared to offer you a refund of charges to the value of £X, representing all charges applied to your account in the last year that you are eligible to claim back. Unfortunately you are not entitled to claim back any charges of £12.00 or less, as these charges are deemed to be within the law and will not be awarded by a county court" .....

Signed by Sam Goldie

Hmmm... where on earth do they get that from? One year?, £12.00 charge lawful? A rejection letter will be on it's way shortly!

Excellent, give them no mercy.

• 5 weeks later...

Today received a letter offering a bit more but as it's still slightly less than half of the claim another rejection letter to be sent. And so it goes on....

Munchkin

• 1 month later...

Received letter this week. Offer now increased to £1000 against claim for £1168. After much deliberation decided to accept on this occasion as doing claim on behalf of my mum really.

Already filed 5 claims and another 4 to go so this is the only one we're giving in on!

Looking forward to receiving money!

Munchkin

Let us know when you recieve it.

As long as you are happy with the settlement.....then

WELL DONE :D :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .