heating disfunctional

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been renting for over two years

the heating system was inspected by a backyard jack of all trades engineer.

it appears the heating system does not have what i refer to as a "Y" valve.

when the hot water heating comes on the water flows through all the radiators thus heating the house and not direct to the boiler tank

when the heating comes on it works as it should, heating all the radiators.

during summer i have to close all the radiators to avoid creating a Sauna. when winter comes around i have to clean all the radiator valves ( by removing them ) of limescale.

The landlady has aggreed that this must be rectified but this has gone on for over 2 years and still nothing, I had a gas Corgi engineer come in and inspect the system. he recomended the whole heating system including the boiler be replaced.

this is costing me approx £80 a month in gas alone

In the entire time i have not recieved one gas or electric certificate

where do i go from here.

If you have no gas safety certificate then it is illegal to rent th eproperty and the landlord can receive a nice fine.

Having hot water that has come through all your radiators is not right and doesn't sound very hygenic to me either - would possibly get onto the council about that as well.

your landlady is legally bound to ensure that all gas, electric and plumbing is 100%, and if there is a problem then to get it fixed within a reasonable time, ( certainly a lot quicker than two years ).

take it up with your local C A B, and enquire with your local council, particularly about the hot water being fed through the rad's before going where you need it. is it possible for you to track any previous tenants, to see if the problem was there then.

my local council provide annual safety checks to all council homes, perhaps this is something you could ask your landlady to commence.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

the previous tennant was the owner who has left the country i am the first tennant under new ownership.

I mentioned the central heating again to her tonight and was told to unplug the power to the water pump near the boiler to stop the water from being pumped through the house, I told her this was unacceptable she then suggested putting a timmer adapter on the pump plug which would regulate when the pump goes on or off.

I have had this very same problem in my house. As you correctly stated, there is a valve that controls the water-flow to the boiler / radiators or both depending on how the timer is set. The valve is controlled by a small electric motor that is either open for both radiators and boiler or closed to either radiators or boiler depending on the timer settings. Either the valve or the motor that operates it is broken meaning that the valve is permanently open to both heating and boiler.

I know because I cooked for a while last summer when my heating was off but the boiler was on, the radiators were still red-hot regardless. Your landlords useless response to this problem, especially given the time-frame is just unacceptable. Frankly, I'd tell him / her that you are giving 1 months notice to get this problem fixed and failure to do so will result in yourself calling a Corgi registered gas-fitter to fix the problem and you'll be deducting the cost from your rent.

Having said that, he / she is already well in breach of their tenancy agreement if you haven't had an annual gas safety inspection and you could press this point home also.