• Tweets

• Journo Russell Scott has been looking at people who sold PPE to the Johnson government. https://twitter.com/RussellScott1/status/1780686322908487787  
    • It is important that you do the reading about this subject in the sub- forum. It's not complicated but you need to be in control and I don't think you are. For instance, much of the information you need and also the case transcripts that you're looking for are in the fixed topics at the top of this sub- forum but clearly you didn't know that. You will gain in confidence if you do the reading. Particularly as it now looks as if the mediation has not worked because EVRi have stayed you up and so you may now be going to trial. You need to understand thoroughly what you are doing. We will help you and you will find our support is unstinting but you have to do your part. Please spend a lot of time reading the stories on the sub- forum especially the pinned posts at the top of the sub- forum and then start preparing your court bundle. We have instructions here for everything
    • I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

foxy v abbey

FOXYLADY1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post with CAG. I am currently in process of taking Abbey to court. They owe me £4,000 in unlawful bank charges.

I am at the stage of having received the same letter FOXY quotes in #16 - that the AQ has been dispensed with. Not sure whether to follow the suggestion quoted on another thread to send a letter to Abbey or yet another thread that suggests sending in my Draft Order without the AQ, which may speed up the process? Or, should I just wait on the court?

Any suggestions at this stage, greatly appreciated.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody just quick update.

Saturday I received at letter back from the court.

NOTICE OF ALLOCATIONS TO THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK (HEARING)

District judge ................ has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

The hearing of the claim will take place on a date to be fixed at ........... County Court and should take no longer than 30 mins.

The court must be informed immediately if the case is settled by agreement before the hearing date.

1. The parties shall by 4.00pm on the 14th May 2007 send to each other statements of the evidence of any witnesses of fact they intend to relying upon at the trial of this matter and shall append to those statements any documents they intend relying upon.

2. The parties shall co-operate to prepare a bundle of documents for use at the trial such bundle to include the statements referred to above.

3. Each party shall prepare a skeleton argument and that shall be included in the bundle referred to above.

4. The claimant shall lodge a copy of the bundle at court by 4th June 2007 and upon lodging of the trial bundle the court will consider the listing of the matter.

5. The Claimant shall, when lodging the bundle, inform the court whether the Defendants have complied with this order and if not in what respects they have failed.

6. The Defendant shall, at the expiration of the time specified in paragraph 4 above, inform the court whether the Claimants have complied with this order and if not in what respect the Claimant has failed.

7. The parties should note that the reference to statements includeds the statements of the parties themselves as well as any other witnesses they intend calling and that the judge may decide not to take into account any documents or evidence not served and lodged as directed above.

8. The matter be allocated to the Small Claims Track and listed on a date to be fixed by the court.

So what do i need to get together is it just the court bundle or anything else any help would be much appreciated.

Foxy

Hey Foxy,

You're getting close now,girl!!

I've just started putting together my bundle............I spent part of Friday printing off 40-odd pages of the UTCCA, and SOGA etc. That's without 100 pages of statements to photocopy.

never mind, it'll all be worth it very soon

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I've not heard anything from anyone since I filed my AQ two weeks ago, but I thought I'd fill my time with getting everything ready.

I'm just following Bookworm's basic bundle at the moment. If I was to do it properly, I would have photocopied all the relevant statements first, and then all correspondence, and then I would be able to number the legal pages by computer, but I didn't do that so I'm going to have to handwrite the page numbers onto everything separately, which will be an ache in the bits, but hey-ho, we live and learn!

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

yes i have been following bookworms court bundle as well but not sure if I will be needing anything else?

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me dont want to leave anything out.

keep me informed hopefully you will hear next few days as we did file AQ at the same time or within few days.

You'll need to talk to someone who's ahead of us...........sam78, Mad Nick, or Grim Reaper have all just won in the last few days, so why don't you try and pick their brains.

Don't forget you can get costs of £9.25 per hour up to about 20 hours work back from Abbey for the bundle prep time.

Where relevant, you need to comply with each clause of the order;

Hi everybody just quick update.

Saturday I received at letter back from the court.

NOTICE OF ALLOCATIONS TO THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK (HEARING)

District judge ................ has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

The hearing of the claim will take place on a date to be fixed at ........... County Court and should take no longer than 30 mins.

The court must be informed immediately if the case is settled by agreement before the hearing date.

1. The parties shall by 4.00pm on the 14th May 2007 send to each other statements of the evidence of any witnesses of fact they intend to relying upon at the trial of this matter and shall append to those statements any documents they intend relying upon.

Basic court bundle and witness statement/statement of evidence

2. The parties shall co-operate to prepare a bundle of documents for use at the trial such bundle to include the statements referred to above.

Not sure how you can cooperate with Abbey, but you can try. Send a letter reqesting their cooperation pursuant to the terms of the courts order. They probably won't reply, which will make them look bad and you good in the eyes of the court.

3. Each party shall prepare a skeleton argument and that shall be included in the bundle referred to above.

A skeleton argument is a list/summary of the main points of your arguments which you would present if it got to court.

4. The claimant shall lodge a copy of the bundle at court by 4th June 2007 and upon lodging of the trial bundle the court will consider the listing of the matter.

Self explanitory

5. The Claimant shall, when lodging the bundle, inform the court whether the Defendants have complied with this order and if not in what respects they have failed.

This gives you a good opportunity to tell the court about Abbey's stubbornness and uncooperative attitude.

6. The Defendant shall, at the expiration of the time specified in paragraph 4 above, inform the court whether the Claimants have complied with this order and if not in what respect the Claimant has failed.

Make sure you comply with your part of the order and rest assured Abbey will not comply with this clause.

7. The parties should note that the reference to statements includeds the statements of the parties themselves as well as any other witnesses they intend calling and that the judge may decide not to take into account any documents or evidence not served and lodged as directed above.

The only witness is you - so you only need your own statement as per clause 1.

8. The matter be allocated to the Small Claims Track and listed on a date to be fixed by the court.

So what do i need to get together is it just the court bundle or anything else any help would be much appreciated.

Foxy

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Foxy , just read you have got a date through from the Court ,looks like you are almost there. I think Mad Nick/Gary H should be able to help with your skeleton argument NOT that I really believe you will get to court . Good luck you are nearly there .

Hi Noobrider Can You Help Me With My Court Bundle Little Confused As What I Need To Put Into It.

Is There A Draft Letter That I Should Attach When I Send The Bundle To Abbey Before The 14th May To See If They Want To Settle And Should I Write To Let Them Know I Will Adding The Cost Of Preparing My Bundle

Your Help Would Be Appriciated.

Hi Foxy, OK here goes...long post

Covering letter I sent to both court and Abbey...address to suit

Mr Noobrider

The street

somewhere

Bradford

postcode

Tel: mobile number

The Court Office 18th January 2007

Bradford County Court

The Law Courts

Exchange Square

Drake Street

Bradford

BD1 1JA

Delivered by hand

RE Noobrider v Abbey National Case No 6QZ 69704

STATEMENT OF EVIDENCE

Dear Sir Madam

Please find enclosed the statement of evidence and documentation to be relied upon in the above quoted case as per the general form of judgement or order dated 11th January 2007. A copy of the statement of evidence and documentation was delivered to the defendant on the 15th January 2007 and proof of delivery and confirmation of receipt has been made.

It is the claimants understanding that the defendant has until 29th January to respond with their own statement of evidence and documentation, otherwise the defence will be struck out without further order. The claimant will therefore apply for judgement on the 30th January 2007.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Then download the zipfile in the court bundle templates library.

essentially most of the documentation is your spreadsheet, all correspondence to and from the bank plus a copy of every statement that has a charge on it with all the charges highlighted. Then use the dunlop case as a precedent demonstrating the contract law and a couple of other included in there.I also believe there are a few new bits of evidence that you can use like the BBC investigation and possibly the whistleblower stuff.

basically once Abbey receive this bundle of documents they will start to talk and take you seriously.

Just remember to use the front sheet which is a contents page. Number every page in order and then add the page numbers to and from in the contents section.

Best of luck

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

Hi Noobrider,

Many Thanks For That Going To Start Putting Everything Together Tonight Should I Send Mine To Abbey When I Am Done Or Wait Until Nearer The Date Order Say?

It Says On My Order That I Do Not Have To Send Copy To Court Until The 4th June?

Do You Have A Skeleton Argument That I Can Look At?

does it also say that you have to send it to Abbey within the same time period or within 14 days of sending to court? Cant hurt to get it in early, once its sent its sent. I think there is a skeleton argument in the templates section. Afraid I haven't kept and electronic version of mine...got a new PC with my winnings lol

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

No My Order Is On (27) Myselfs And Abbey Must Send Statements Of The Evidence Of Any Witnesses Of Fact They Intend To Rely Upon By The 14th May.

The Court Want A Copy By The 4th June

I Take It If I Do Not Hear From Abbey By This Date I Can Let The Court Know Refering To 5 Of The Court Order.

Hi, I ended up thinking that a Skeleton Argument was just a half page summary of your claim - to help the Judge understand your claim without wading through 200 pages. Here's what I put in my bundle:

SKELETON ARGUMENT BY THE CLAIMANT

1. The Claimant has a Bank account XXXXXX ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened in about XXXX.

2. The Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also levied overdraft interest on the charges once applied.

3. The Claimant submits that

a) the Defendant’s default charges are grossly disproportionate to any actual loss arising from a breach of contract and are therefore not a genuine pre-estimate of loss. As such, the charges are unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, the Unfair Contracts (Terms) Act 1977, and the common law; and

b) the consequential overdraft interest levied on the charges by the Defendant is invalid as it arises from the mistake of law at 3a above.

4. The Defendant has declined all the Claimant’s requests for it to justify that its default charges are proportionate and based on a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

5. The Claimant is therefore claiming repayment of the default charges and [whatever form of interest you are claiming : O/D interest, SI, CI]

But I also included in my bundle an 8 page Witness Statement which was effectively the N1 POC but fleshed out. It was going to be the narrative flow of argument which I would have gone through in court. HTH. Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Hi Foxy,

Thanks for asking all the questions you've asked today....they're very relevant to my claim too!!

My Order was:

- allocated to SCT

- exchange witness statements by 4pm 17.5.07

- lodge with Court by 4pm on 31.05.07 bundle comprising:

(a) witness statement

(b) documents upon which they rely

© any case summary or skeleton argument with copies of authorities referred to

- matter listed for Pre-Trial Review on 12.6.07 at 10.30am. If either party fails to attend Judgment may be given in their absence.

Have you started your bundle yet? At what point are Abbey likely to try & settle - is it usually before the bundle is submitted or after?

Villafan

hi villafan

seems so real now got lots to do been doing my bundle tonight yours looks little like mine but think i may have little more to do than you strange really as statement of evidence and witness statements etc all seem to say the same sort of stuff i also have to do a skeleton argument.

just keep a eye on my threads as im not afraid to ask for help if im unsure about something best to get it right.

keep me posted

unfortunately it does seem a bit of a waste as once received by Abbey thats usually the trigger to negotiate. The bundle will never see its day in court. I would definately get your bundle in asap though as you only have until the 14 may to get it to abbey. I would expect a call shortly

hi mad nick thanks for help with skeleton argument i do have to supply a witness statement and statement of evidence as well i understand so got lots of paper to sort out will ask if i need any more help so please keep looking on my threads

and thanks for your help/support

cheers noobrider for your help and support just little real now sitting at computer now doing all the paperwork then will get hubby to photocopy at work as he works nights so will give him something to do.

do you think they will settle even though a date has not been set for the hearing ?

yes because they will be in breach if they do not submit their own documents in time. Essentially its a court order which is as good as a judgement

cool I understand now thanks for that.

I know im not claiming as much as some of you on this site but every little helps and I could do with a bit of luck on my side both my brother and sister have won there cases without having to take bank to courts brother got 8,500 and sister got 4,000 no hassle at all both bank with natwest.

seems to be abby that are the pain.