• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Someone to hold my hand (doing battle with Halifax)***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, What you need to do....

If money has been put into your account without you accepting it, turn it down and ask them to remove it from your account. There is a rejection letter for this in the templates, and carry on for the full amount.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, but can I send the rejection letter without including how much I am claiming for.......because I still don't know!

12th March 2007 - sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and £10 to Halifax.

3rd May 2007 - LBA sent to Halifax.

15th May 2007 - £2,500 offered over phone (full amount asked for is £5,300) - OFFER DECLINED.

17th May 2007 - Filed claim via MCOL.

18th May 2007 - Claim request issued.

Notice of Issue received from Court - 22/5/07.

Claim deemed to have been served as of 23/5/07.

Notice of Acknowledgement received from Court - 31/5/07.

Halifax now have until 20th June to file defence or whatever......

also......(sorry to be a pain!!) which template do I use as none of them seem to fit........

15th May 2007 - £2,500 offered over phone (full amount asked for is £5,300) - OFFER DECLINED.

Rejecting Offers try this one

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

You can still accept it partially, you will not loose anything by it, you can still claim in full + contractual less the amount they paid you. You can amend the rejection letter to what suits your claim. I would imagine if they have already refunded you £6k without an argument, there must be loads more. They don't just pay out willy nilly, I am sure they have a pretty good idea what the total will come too. Have you asked for your statements! and when did you do this! Can you gestimate the total of your claim going back 6 years, do you have any statements ay all! and can you put this on a spreadsheet with the interest rate they charged you.

DS

But they all talk about accepting the offer as part payment and not about wanting it all removed from the account. The only one that says that is the one mentioning court action......and I haven't even got my list of charges yet!!!!

Does this seem bizarre to you guys?? Cos I'm struggling to get my head around it.

Yes, have statements back to December 2005. I put them on spreadsheet and charges total just over £3,000 back to then - thats only 16 months of charges!!!!!!

I sent SAR and £10 on 12th March.

if your thinking of accepting it as partial thats fine, i did with hailfax, but i now regret it as i am now in court 1 week tomorrow, with very little chance of winning, but thats my own fault:o , all i'm saying is don't rush, have a good think about ALL your options, THEN decide whats best for YOU. it may not cause you any problems, in fact it probably won't, just don't rush headlong into something you not sure of:D . i'd write to them and tell them they've now had their 40 days and if you don't get the info within 7 days of the date on the letter you'll start court proceding against them, don't accept or reject the offer yet, just wait 1 more week

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

if your thinking of accepting it as partial thats fine, i did with hailfax, but i now regret it as i am now in court 1 week tomorrow, with very little chance of winning, but thats my own fault:o , all i'm saying is don't rush, have a good think about ALL your options, THEN decide whats best for YOU. it may not cause you any problems, in fact it probably won't, just don't rush headlong into something you not sure of:D . i'd write to them and tell them they've now had their 40 days and if you don't get the info within 7 days of the date on the letter you'll start court proceding against them, don't accept or reject the offer yet, just wait 1 more week

Thats what i would do too-in the offer letter does it not give you 8 weeks to get back to them anyway? They have kept you waiting so you can keep them waiting for another week. Then hopefully your statements will be here.Sounds like they DO know you are due much more of YOUR money back.

Prelim Sent -27/02/07....

Response Letter rec'd -13/03/07....

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Offer received(10p/cent short)-declined for full amount-28/03/07

Success FULL 6yr amount offered-29/03/07:D

........not yet received because they want me to accept conditions!!:(

Anyway, for time being have phoned Halifax and asked again for the list of charges to be sent to me. 'Nice' man on phone said he would see they were sent out today.......won't hold me breath then......lol!

I didn't say anything to him about their offer and he didn't mention it either.

Hi Debs I have had a quick read through your thread, firstly I think you need to slow down a bit ;)

Ok you dont have your statements yet so I would strongly advise you not to accept the cash as a full and final settlement of your claim. Also I advise you to send the letter from the rejection of settlement link below, accepting the cash as a part settlement.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

I also advise you to send the letter from the non compliance link below. You can wait to see if the statements arrive in the post tomorrow if not I would send the letter. They have had long enough to comply.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Once you have the statements and you have worked oou how much they owe you send the LBA from the link below include a schedule of charges.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

Should they not settle in full after 14 days I would issue the court claim.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 1

OK - I have sent (faxed one and also posted a hard copy) the rejection letter (regarding the money they paid in to our account), and if the list of charges etc has not arrived by the time I get home from work today I will send the non-compliance letter also this evening.

Thanks for your help ;)

good work, theres no point rushing

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

Well - today the list of charges finally arrived - it has crossed in the post with the non-compliance letter, because it took them almost 50 days to send them to me.

Anyway, have spent afternoon putting charges on spreadsheet and I was pretty much right in thinking the amount was considerably more than £6,000. It comes to £11,352!!

So am I right in thinking I now send the LBA and put the amount in the letter, minus the £6,000 they already paid?

I thought so, they were to quick to fob you off with £6k, so just deduct this from your spread sheet total of Charges and Interest together leaving a net amount of £5352 assuming that you wrote partially accepting the £6K, and that you would be reclaiming the balance.

Let us know how you get on.

Ds

Yes, I have already written to them saying that I did not accept it as 'full and final payment' but as a partial amount, and that I would be claiming for the rest in due course.......will let you know.

Sent LBA yesterday by recorded delivery.

And you won't believe this but........you know they paid £6,000 into our account? Well, yesterday they took £28 in charges(!!!!???) out of the money they paid in......are they losing the plot??!!

Will just add that on to list of charges if we end up filing for Court!

Have seen on Royal Mail website that the LBA has been delivered today.....

Watch this space....

• 2 weeks later...

It will be 14 days up on this Thurs (17th) and we've heard nothing from the Halifax since they received the LBA.

Is it worth a phone call to the man I've spoken to previously in Customer Relations to see what Halifax intend to do, or shall we just wait for the 17th and file the claim in court?

btw, any help on this would be appreciated. I know about MCOL and the other way of doing it (sorry can't remember name!!) but am not sure what to do. Our claim will be for £5,300 plus around £3,000 in interest.

Well no more Mr Nice Guy.......

I phoned the guy in Customer Relations this a.m and asked what Halifax intend to do about the LBA we sent. He stalled for time and made me tell him what I had written about. He said that their charges AREN'T UNLAWFUL !! And that there no statutory body has said that.

He took my number and said he would get back to me......

He just phoned me again and offered £2,500 - I have asked for £5,300. I refused his offer and suggested he go and consider increasing it to the full amount. He says they can't do that cos they only offer 75% of what any customer asks of them (haven't heard of that before!!). I told him that actually I know of many cases where people have got 100% off them before filing for court.

I then confirmed that our next step will be to file for court on Thurs. He said that they will take back the £6,000 they already gave us ('as a goodwill gesture'). I told him that he won't do that because we already accepted that as a 'part payment' from them pending the return of the full amount.

- hope you're still with me......

he just phoned again and said they will take the £6k out of the account if we go to court. Will do that today - but if they do it will put us £1,300 in the red!!!!! Can they do this?

PLEASE HELP.......

I told him to go and ask 'them' for another £1500 taking the full offer to £10,000 and we'll forgo the other£1,300.....rigthly or wrongly....but I'm done in over this and my dad is ill in hospital and I really cant deal with this much longer.

HELP.........

He phoned me again, saying that another £2,500 is the most they will offer, and that if we intend to go to court we are clearly not accepting the original £6k and they will remove it from the account. Well, can they do that? Ther eis now only £4,500 in there cos we were already £800 overdrawn when the amount went in and we have since spent some of it. We will be £1300 overdrawn if they remove it - but he said 'that will be an unfortunate consequence'.

Are they trying bully boy tactics, or are they right?

Do you know of them taking back the initial money paid if someone goes to court?

Am feeling sick right now. Don't want to go o/d again and incur charges again.

ANY ONE THERE?

Nudge - anyone there?

Please?

Sorry guys ....have to keep this up top as I really do need advice on this.

Please....