dodgy petrol claim

smudgeruk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my cars poo poo'd by this petrol prob im gonna claim for me petrol the

repairs a bunch of flowers for be brothers gf for lending me a car as its cheaper than me

claiming for a hire car you reckon i can claim for lost time going to the garage phone calls

and writing the letter lol

That post made little sence.

Regarding the petrol, it was tested and did meet to EU standards, so the retailers selling it, did sell a legal product. If you purchased from tesco they are offering to pay for the repairs to the car.

Depending on the retailer on question, will vary the result, you can try and send a letter to them asking for reimbursment of repairs, and if you can prove that the breakdown affected your work or incurred additional costs that were necessary you could include those in the letter.

Whilst it may be painful for you, it is also painful for the retailer, they didn't go out and chuck lots of silicon in petrol for fun.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

It was tested but the reason they did not spot the problem was because they were checking for things that were present rather than looking for things that should not have been in it at first. This was why Tesco et al issued statements saying they had had the petrol tested and it was fine etc once TS got invovlved and tested it properly looking for more "exotic" elements that should not have been present although there seems to be some debate as to whether it was silicon or silicone but I suspect thats just poor journalism.

Painful for Tesco who make £2bn a year profit it wont be painful to them nor the other supermarkets at all as it will barely dent their wallets and they will simply pass the costs upstream to the suppliers do you really think Tesco, Asda etc will just oh well thats ya luck I don't think so.

As to the OP

You can try to claim for anything you like they can only say no, however be reasonable they do seem to be bending over backwards since TS discovered the contamination theyre playing fair with you so try to do the same for them :)

Of course Tesco's will offer to foot the bill for repairs etc, but bet your bottom dollar thet Tescos will then have a big claim against their supplier..

Tesco wont Loose out.. Its called Publicity:)

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Of course Tesco's will offer to foot the bill for repairs etc, but bet your bottom dollar thet Tescos will then have a big claim against their supplier..

Tesco wont Loose out.. Its called Publicity:)

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!

Tesco/Morrisons are the face of the problem and i wouldn't be surprised if the claim against the supplier is for a lot more than the claims that tesco pay out for car repairs.

They are getting good PR at the moment for saying they will pay out on claims but at the actual time of the contamination they were getting bad PR so no doubt there legal eagles will claim for damages.

In addition the supplier deserves all they get as it was a completely avoidable situation which should never have happened. A diesel additive into petrol, where are their safegaurds?

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you can read it in english thank a soldier.

well i think a few tesco vouchers by way of a sorry and a bunch of flowers for the person who's car ive borrowed for 10 days is more than reasonable and a damn sight cheaper than if i had hired a car.

and i agree about it not being painful for tesco what they pay out for repairs they make back in a day or 2 before they sue the arse off their supplier!

Believe me it will be thir supplier that will end up paying Big time for this cock up..Thats the way Tesco work..

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tlusnoc
Believe me it will be thir supplier that will end up paying Big time for this cock up..Thats the way Tesco work..

Rightly so in my opinion, whilst not being a lover of Tesco, at the end of the day it was their supplier who messed up. Therefore they are the ones who in the end will be footing the bill for all of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had it confirmed to me by Tesco Claims that I will not be recompensed for the garage bill of £820 (2 x o2 sensors, filter, fuel, etc) because I am one of those people that don't bother keeping receipts and only pay by cash, no club card!! no credit card!! Just faith in a large company to supply a product as stated i.e. fuel fuel nothing but fuel. We have been informed there is no recourse to take this any further, however, I will be boycotting Tesco's (and all my friends who use them) even though this will mean myself and the wife having to travel further to shop and refuel.

According to the Claims Representative and we have spoken to many of them, all with a different story, I am the first one they have heard of that has no proof of purchase, I find this hard to believe.

We was also informed by the claims rep' that it was not down to them to prove

liability, this is contrary to an article I read on a legal forum, who is correct?

This is not only bad PR on Tesco's part but false economy, i.e. 4 or 5 shopping trips with a few fuel fill ups would have recouped the compensation amount but now they will lose my custom.

One other thing, its been mentioned about getting the cctv footage, unfortunately I have been informed that cctv is kept on a 2 week loop so will have been erased and is also covered by the Data Protection Act, which is convenient for them. It shows little forethought on their behalf.

Batanbowl - I take it that you have been speaking to GAB - Tescos' loss adjusters.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate your case, i.e. you purchased petrol from Tesco and here is evidence.

I have a claim against Tesco too, but I have the contaminated petrol receipt and I am awaiting the outcome:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/garage-services/75541-contaminated-fuel.html

I would not give up yet, they need to be pushed harder, write a letter before action to Tesco's head office setting down your position. Have a go at one - if you post it up I will have a look at it.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

• 2 weeks later...

i succesfully claimed from asda and have just been told tesco will also pay me out plus 150 quid compensation i claimed off both seems they are not cross referencing and i was just lucky i bought petrol off both in the affected time and areas! im gonna try get compensation off asda too now! so far im 320 up on my original claim!

Nice work Smudger - they seem to be really good, they paid me a tidy sum too:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/garage-services/75541-contaminated-fuel.html

I did not read the post properly initially, it is not correct to claim twice, I thought you have two separate lots of damage on two vehicles.

i succesfully claimed from asda and have just been told tesco will also pay me out plus 150 quid compensation i claimed off both seems they are not cross referencing and i was just lucky i bought petrol off both in the affected time and areas! im gonna try get compensation off asda too now! so far im 320 up on my original claim!

The title of the thread just about sums up this post.

CAG does not and never has approved or encouraged this sort of behaviour.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

This is called fraud.

There is no basis in law for you to make a profit on a compensation claim - it is designed to put you back into the same position you were before the event.

In actual fact, O2 sensors are lifed items and therefore everybody who has been compensated for replacement actually has achieved slight betterment.

Since neither Tesco nor Morrison will be footing the bill at the end of the day, you had better pray that the petrol company don't cross reference or you could find the BiB on your doorstep.

That is a good point, Asda's and Tesco's insurers who face primary liability will using subrogation rights go after Vopac (I think this is where the fault ultimately lies) and all the claims will be consolidated.

It is therefore possible that any duplication will be picked up then. Not worth it for a few hundred pounds.

and ultimately the price of petrol will rise again.

ISNT THIS THE SAME REASON WHY WE ALL PAY THROUGH THE NOSE FOR CAR AND HOME INSURANCE

UMMMMMMM.......................YEP ITS FRAUD

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.