• Tweets

• I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Direct Here We Come! - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We're new to this so hope we're posting correctly!

we've just received the statements from FD - a good ream of paper! I'm hoping FD buddies can help us out on this one. Are we right to just add up the bank charges as in all charges other than interest or do we include interest too? Oh and what time period is it again? Like others, we've just a whopping £89 charge so we're even more determined to go all the way on this.

FIRST DIRECT:

CLAIMING £2053.00 + court fee £120

Data Protection Act SENT 6/5/06

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Half offer received and declined 3/7/06

Full offer and fees received 7/7/06

Credit rec'd in bank 12/07/06 Yippee!

BANK WITHDRAW BANKING FACILITIES!! 1/11/2006

Wow - I'm certainly a novice and questioning my intelligence! I'm still determined but my head is spinning!! Can I just give the stage I'm at.... I wrote a letter as suggested: "Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my bank account since 1st Jan 2000 to 30th April 2006. Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

You have 40 days in which to comply"

FD have obliged and sent me the statements and reference notes and 'martini' notes. Very scary reading them back - I feel like I'm reliving all those dark tense financial moments! I have begun to put them on my own spreadsheet - split (so far) between: Interest; Overdraft fee;excess overdraft fees; arrangement fees and service charge (whatever that was for!). I'm confused over what I can potentially claim for in these catagories and also what other considerations I should take into account ie what specifically is meant by 'manual intervention'

I think this site is fabulous although I feel daunted and a little doubtful of the payback - the usual 'it'll never work for me' attitude I'm afraid. However, I really realy appreciate any help and also time spent in replying and reading my bits.

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Interest; Overdraft fee;excess overdraft fees; arrangement fees and service charge (whatever that was for!). I'm confused over what I can potentially claim for in these catagories and also what other considerations I should take into account ie what specifically is meant by 'manual intervention'

Interest - that's a separate issue, check my notes in the spreadsheet.

Excess OD fees - claim them

Arrangement fees - these were probably agreed and they should have looked at your file in detail and discussed this with you, possibly even a meeting at your branch

Service charge - claim them

Anything else that appears to be automated - claim them

With regards to manual intervention, it is up to you personally reading through your notes as to whether or not a charge that has been applied justifies it's cost, but everyone seems to be claiming everything and asking the bank to justify their costs in court. Have a good read around the site on this issue as it has been discussed in length.

Hope this helps.

[

Me again - just about to prepare letter to send to bank requesting refund of the charges £2099 over 6 years. Apologies for not finding this info myself but could you remind me of how far I can legally go back to claim and if say it's 6 years is that 6 years from the date of the letter that I send in to reclaim? Also, I've decided not to claim for interest, the amount above is simply made up if o/draft fees and other charges - I assume that this is still acceptable and that by not claiming the interest I won't be compromising my claim? Incidently, having just received another recent excess charge, I complained and were happy to give me a full refund (not including interest of course) - I wish I'd been more proactive in the past - you live and learn eh? When I send the ltter in do I list how the charges are made up ie date and amount etc or can I just put the lump sum in the letter alone? Many many thanks for any help received.x

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Firstly you are entitled to claim any interest that relates to the penalties you've been charged. You'll find more notes to this in my spreadsheet in the bank templates forum, along with how to calculate a good estimate.

The six years has been long debated on this site. I would claim six years back from the date you calculate it, but send the letter sharpish.

You can request a total, and this is normally the case, but my bank asked me for a breakdown, so I now include it to start with. That's your decision.

At the end of the day you must make this claim personally between you and your bank. They won't appreciate a copied template that bears no relevance to your account or circumstances.

Well done on claiming the recent refund. Keep it up with any future charges.

Good luck with the biggy.:)

[

• 2 weeks later...

Well as expected, I;ve received the 'First Direct does not agree with your contention' letter. They have quoted the operating your account clause 6.9. I assume this has been the same for everyone else?? They do say that I can contact Robert Kernaghan the Customer Relations Manager and they also mention the Financial Ombudsman. The date of their letter is 25th May. Could anyone keep me right with when I should be putting my next letter in by and confirm which one is recommended. Many thanks for help on this scary but exhilarating journey!!

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

By asking these questions it is obvious that you have not read the FAQ's . please spend a few days to read around the forum and especially the FAQ's.If you have any questions then please use the search facility where you will find most have already been asked.This is not to be awkward but it is in your best interest so that you fully understand what you are undertaking and each stage of it.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Hi

sounds like you have sent the first letter giving them 14 days.................now its the LBA which you will find in the template library.......good luck

Barclays claiming £5269.63

LBA sent 17/05/2006

money claim filed 31/05/2006

court date 8th September 2pm

offered full refund 1st Sep

:D money credited to account :D

2nd September

:) Help this site to keep going please donate by clicking the button:)

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I have had hours of reading others and I do think the website is fantastic (after all we wouldn't be doing these claims without those experienced at it giving help and advice) but this is something I've never attempted (just heard the 'beating the bank charge' advert on the TV while tying this - how spooky!) and just need my hand held - please be patient with me :-(.

Anyway I understand this is my next approach (I've included this letter as much for others benefit as my own). The letter received from my bank just suggested that I escelate my concerns if I want so that no deadline is in place so it'll be getting sent off tomorrow. ???? Do you have to send everything recorded delivery??

"Further to your letter dated 25th May, we are very disappointed that you have failed to respond satisfactorily to our letter of the 23 May 2006.

We still consider that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to our account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

We would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that we opened our account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

We are frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

We calculate that you have taken £2053.00 in charges and we enlose a copy of the schedule of the charges which we are claiming. We have already sent you a copy of this in our original letter of the 23 May 2006.

We require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then we shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus our costs and without further notice.

Furthermore, we shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department."

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Do you have to send everything recorded delivery??

There is no need to send any of your letters by Recorded Delivery - ordinary First Class will do, you don't even need proof of posting.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

True... however if they deny ever having received it, and you have a signature and a delivery receipt from the Royal Mail Website (as provided with Recorded Delivery) it can prove to the court that their contentions are inaccurate. It can also act as a catalyst to get the bank moving prior to court if you say (for instance) "I have proof that you received my request at your offices on and therefore your 40 days to comply with my request expires on ".

Personally, I'm sending everything recorded except LBA's which I'm sending Special Delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Well FD have kindly replied to my LBA to say that they still don't agree with me, they've repeated the 'clauses' and pointed me in the direction of the ombudsman. So ........ I'm off to research my next scary step! Any help or advice would be greatly received. One question is - do I need wait until the 14 days notice that I originally give FD or because of the fact they've replied to say no already make any difference?

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

It does seem that waiting the time you set would be seen as you being reasonable by a Court should you get there. Anyway you waited this long so 14 days won't kill you :) - But it so horrible waiting I know! :p

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

I've familiarised myself with the moneyclaim website in preparation for my next hurdle but I'm after a little bit of help ...................

- my last letter to FD warning them was 6th June (I did get a reply to the LBA from FD dated 9th June) I know that I should wait until the 14 days are up from the 6th June - this is probably a ridiculously obvious answer but can I wait more than 14 days to raise the claim or does it have to be excactly 14 days? Reason is I'm working away next week and won't have access to the moneyclaim website until Friday??????

Another question I have is the letters that have been sent to FD sofar have been from my and the hubby as it's a joint account - whats the facility for the moneyclaim - to me it looks like a single individual only. If it's a joint account does it have to have a claim from both parties???

One last one - have many had their FD accounts compulsory closed after all of these claims? If so, at what stage does this happen. I have to say that other thans the naughty over the top charges (like most banks) I've been really happy with their service (shrug)

Thanks in nervous anticipation x

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

No probs with a joint account, mine is, I have had no problems.

Some have not waited the 14 days, but I feel waiting the full time shows you to be reasonable. Unlike the bank. :grin:

As for account closures, this is very rare, and even more so for the HSBC group as far as I can gather. Best to open a parchute account though, just in case.

Try not to be nervous, it's you that has got the bank on the run.... :grin:

Crusher :grin:

Many ta's - I guess all is ok (deep breaths - deep breaths!!) I'll be making the claim on my return on Friday and try not too lose too much sleep. What an anxious annie I am!!

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

I've just received my First Direct statement and I'm furious with the £66 of bank charges for being over our overdraft limit by £3!! This happened at the end of May and was due to our automatic trfs from other banks crediting slightly later than usual and during this time a DD came out. I've complained by phone but they were not interested. Outrageous...from the bank that loves to promote itself as the most recommended!

To clarify there was a bank holiday at the end of May which caused the credits from my partner and I to go in 1/2 days later than usual.

Hi tcakes

I'll be submitting my claim against First Direct on Moneyclaim at the end of next week so I'll be comparing progress!! ;-)

Mine is also a joint account & I'll be submitting in my name.

Cheers!!

FIRST DIRECT: £4751.86 SETTLED IN FULL 5/07/06 :-)

TESCO VISA CARD: £90 SETTLED IN FULL 12/08/06 :)

LLOYDS TSB: £4403.59 SETTLED IN FULL 17/08/06 :)

EGG: £451.52 SETTLED IN FULL 18/01/07 :)

Opinions and advice of kazzaw are independent, offered informally, without prejudice, without liability, and not endorsed by the Bank Action Group. If in any doubt, seek the advice of a qualified, insured professional.

Thanks for all of the support.

I'm back and eagerly composing the money claim form. One thing that has thrown me (so far) is the date that my contract commenced with FD?????? Does everyone else know this date for themselves - I haven't the foggiest. Do I need to go back to my bank and ask them?

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Thanks for all of the support.

I'm back and eagerly composing the money claim form. One thing that has thrown me (so far) is the date that my contract commenced with FD?????? Does everyone else know this date for themselves - I haven't the foggiest. Do I need to go back to my bank and ask them?

I didn't bother putting it in. They don't need to know, it's not relevant to the claim.

Notice of Issue received today!! Northampton County Court. It confirms that the court sent it to the defendant by first class post on 26th June 2006 and it will be deemed to be served on 1st July 2006. First Direct have until 15th July 2006 to reply! Eeeee well, I wait with baited breath and will be waiting at my door for the postman like a snappy little puppy!

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

Letter from DG solicitors received today offering half of my claim. I've prepared the reply - thanks but no thanks - which will be posted tomorrow.

Watch this space for the further news!!!!!!!

FIRST DIRECT:

PRELIM LETTER 23/5/06

LBA 06/6/06

REPLY REC'D 9/6/06

MCOL FILED 26/06/06

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks