• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

steviec07 + A+L

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6106 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I've recently started the process off for reclaiming my bank charges. I've got a few questions which I would be grateful if anyone could answer, also correct me if I've done anything wrong.

I sent my SAR by 'signed for' delivery on the 21/02/07 and it was delivered on the 23/02/07 to the Carlton Park, Narborough, Leicester,LE19 0AL address.

So far, my A+L cheque for £10 has not been cashed and no communications received. Do they usually leave it as long as possible to reply. Is the time limit up, 40 days from when they receive the letter, 02/04/07.

As for types of charges to claim back, can you claim back paid item charges? I wasn't intending too as these were incurred when they processed a cheque even though the funds were not available. Also, can any of the charges below be reclaimed. These details are shown as charges to be applied when I log in to Internet banking

15 Mar UNAUTHORISED OVERDRAFT CHARGE 27JAN-26FEB DAY 5 £25.00

15 Mar UNAUTHORISED OVERDRAFT CHARGE 27JAN-26FEB DAY 1 £25.00

15 Mar MONTHLY OD CHARGE 27JAN-26FEB £5.00

15 Mar INTEREST 27JAN-26FEB £5.85

Thanks in advance

Steven

Unauthorised overdraft charges can be reclaimed. The monthly one probably can't if it's a regular charge for providing you with an overdraft facility. Interest - well, it's complicated and depends if you can work out how much is down to charges and at what rate it was charged. Have a look for threads in the General forum on contractual interest.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Cheers for that Advoc8.

I don't think i'll bother with these 2 types of charges, MONTHLY OD CHARGE + INTEREST as one is a fee for having an overdraft facility and the other seems a little to complicated to work out. :(

ta

Steven

Hi steviec07, welcome to the forum.

It's quicker to use the Bootle address for all correspondence in the early part of your claim as Narborough is the head office & they only forward this sort of stuff back to Bootle anyway.

However, do use the Narborough address in the application to the court.

Keep us informed of your progress. :cool:

Hi

I found the monthly OD confusing too. I was confused as to why it varied from £5 to £25. However if you read the back of the statement it says that £5 is for authorised and £25 is for unauthorised charges. So I reckon yeah, you can claim them back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I received copies of my statements at the end of last week and am just about to send my claim in. Just a few questions if anyone could be so kind to answer.

Firstly, I am to be charged £50 on 12th April for unauthorised overdraft charges. As I intend to send my letter in tomorrow, 3rd April, can I include these charges as well?

Secondly, I wasn't going to claim back paid item charges, but chain chick's reply above seems to suggest that these can be reclaimed. Is that so? Can these also be reclaimed?

Thirdly, after getting reimbursed for charges and providing the bank don't close the persons account, what happens if that person incurs more bank charges in the future. Do the banks still apply these illegal charges or do they charge a lesser amount or none at all? Are you allowed to reclaim more than once? Just wondering.

Thanx in advance

steviec

Guest ian cognito

You cannot claim charges until you have paid them so you can't claim these future charges on your prelim but you will be able to with your LBA.

Paid item charges are penalty fees for when they have paid out a cheque or DD when you didn't have sufficient funds so yes, you can claim them.

They will close your account so make sure you have a pparachute account set up. I wrote and told them I was withdrawing my permission for them to take any more penalty charges from my account, they did pay them back but then closed the account anyway.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

Sent my claim in on Monday 16th and they signed for it on Tuesday.

Asking back £2218. Think I'll be in for a bit of a wait til it's settled ;)

Got new account opened so it's just a matter of following the great advice found here.

Hello, another update.

Received a letter Friday 20th from A+L stating briefly:-

Our fees are reasonable ... OFT have commented on charges being unfair but applies to late payment fees for credit card payments ... discussions are ongoing between banks and OFT and A+L will review it's position ... have made customers aware of fees when opening accounts and through website etc so can't refund your fees ... will keep file open for 8 weeks blah blah blah ...

I presume this is just the standard reply to the request for a refund and it's just a matter of waiting until the 14 days is up then send them the LBA?

cheers

stevie

Guest ian cognito

Apologies stevie, when I read

Sent my claim in on Monday 16th
I assumed it was to court, that'll teach me to read thoroughly!

Yes, standard reply, yes, LBA after 14 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update.

Sent in my LBA, signed for, on 30/04/07. They received it on 01/05/07.

Received another standard reply letter 05/05/07 saying basically, "we are looking into it ... you will have our response asap ... blah blah".

Will be spending most of today looking at starting the court action, which will be on 15/05/07.

Just a few questions:

Is it better to do it online or via your local county court office in person.

The amount being claimed is approx £2300, is there anything in particular to be aware of with this amount. Any other rules apply etc.

Once A+L receive the notice, how long does it take until they pay up.

Do you send it to their Bootle or Narborough address.

Any other bits of advice/help/info is appreciated.

thanks

Stevie

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

Hello

The 14 days for responding to my LBA expired on the 15/05/07. I have had to wait til payday this month before I can start the court action and pay the £120 fee. (claim is for just under £3K)

I received a letter off A+L on Saturday 26th May, which was an offer for a little under £600. In the letter they talk about the OFT reviewing the issue of account charges, they believe the charges have been applied in accordance with the T&C's of the account, if I accept their offer they will not close my account, their offer is made on an entirely ex gratia basis ... blah blah blah ...

Just a few questions:-

1) Is this just another standard reply letter.

2) As I'm at the stage where I can start court proceedings, should I go ahead and do it without replying to their 'offer' letter, or should I send the rejection letter in, wait a few more days then start the court process off?

I don't want to give them any excuse to have the case dismissed on the basis that I didn't reply to their letter but if I can go straight ahead, then I may as well.

Any other helpful comments are appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hi,

have a look at my thread - followed a similar pattern to you. Am now at the last stages of the claim and awaiting a court date.

Try to stick to the deadlines that you either give or they advise on here and just keep looking through all the threads on here - I found all the advise with regard to filling in the N1 and the AQ if received, which unfortunately it was !

Any questions, feel free to ask again and I hope I can help - many more people on here who are more knowledgeable but am happy to try and help.

The standard rejection letters are on here i think under step by step instructions - why not just do both at the same time - I have just filed by MCOL and found instructions by Michael Browne very useful.

Check other threads but I think that if you reject the offer they will take things right to the line anyway so you might as well go ahead with the claim .

I am no expert though so keep reading:D

jansus

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE