• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BC v HALIFAX **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

atfer a bit of advice please, couldn't see it in the FAQs.

I'm osrtingout a claim for my g/f.

2 a/cs with Halfiax

1 for £2250

1 for £700

do we put the prelim letter in for each account or do we do it just as one big claim?

cheers

Chris

EH & SH v The Woolwich/Barclays

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

offered received of £1000 - Rejected

MCOL filed 05/12/06 (messed up)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

£3,628.94 FULL & FINAL SETTLEMENT!!! :)

BC v HALFIAX

£3841.27 FULL & FINAL SETTLEMENT!!! :)

cheers Michael :)

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

• 1 month later...

total claim was for £2914

they have offered £2460 and payment into account within 14 days.

they have gone over their 14 days from LBA letter (I actually gave them an extra 6 or so days)

we want to reject this so is would this be fine:

RE: SORT CODE: xxxxxxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxx

SORT CODE: xxxxxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxx

26/04/07

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Mr Johnson

Thank you for your letter sent 23/04/07 (Your Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx).

I respectfully decline your offer of £2460.00 for Full and Final Settlement.

I shall be commencing court action on 27/04/07 for the full amount claimed as per my letter dated 27/03/07 for £2914.00.

I trust this clarifies my position.

do i need to add anything with regard that we won't accept the funds into the account within 14 days?

also is there a fax/email address for this Steve Johnson?

I will of course be sending the letter recorded delivery.

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

edit forgot to mention the 14 day timescale i was talking about that they have gone over is actually from the LBA letter

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

anyone before i scoot home for the night?

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

Guest littlesally

Hagenuk wrote this out for me at this stage.

They caved in within days.

If you use it, you can't claim interest, also change the name as this is addressed to a Natwest staff member.

All the best

Sally x

Dear Sir

Thank you for your letter dated 16.11.06 from Mr. Stuart Higley.

It is clear from your letter that you are under the impression that I will not issue a claim against you for the return the unlawful bank charges debited from my account.

I am writing to inform you that this will be the next stage unless I receive full payment in the next 7 days of the £380 detailed in my previous letter to you.

However, please accept this correspondence in accordance with my duty under the Civil Procedure Rules to continue to pursue a settlement without the need to invoke the time of the courts

If you do not intend to defend your charges in court, but hoping that I will "just go away" I should to point out that this will not happen and you will incur further costs against you.

Take note that I will draw the Court’s attention to the fact that you have not made any attempts at settlement in accordance with the overriding objectives of CPR. Furthermore I will submit this letter to the Court as further evidence of your intransigence with my case despite my attempts at settlement and the settling by your company of all other similar claims to date.

Alternatively, in accordance with the overriding objectives of the Civil Procedure Rules I would like to give you the opportunity to settle this issue without the need to take the time of the Courts. My claim is for £380.00. If you could ensure that this sum is paid into my bank account within seven days I will inform the court that this matter is settled. If you wish to pursue this course of action please telephone me to obtain my account details.

Please do not waste any further time with something you do not intend to defend.

Yours sincerely

many thanks for this.

do i mention though,the fact they're just gonna pay the cash into her account within 14 days, we don't want that at all, we'd rather it drag on for an extra month or 2 if it means her getting another £800!

oh well I'll file the claim tomorrow anyway

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

ended up sending this in:

Dear Mr Johnson

Thank you for your letter sent 23/04/07 (Your Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxx).

I respectfully decline your offer of £2460.00 for Full and Final Settlement.

I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer and if the money is transferred to my account, it should not be viewed as my acceptance. I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly.

I shall be commencing court action on 27/04/07 for the full amount claimed as per my letter dated 27/03/07 for £2914.00.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours sincerely

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

• 1 month later...

hi guys just wanted you to know that Halifax have just agreed to pay my g/f account in Full (even added on some extra interest payments until they payout, very nice of them ;) )

03/03/07 - PRELIM for £2,914 = no response (which was good)

27-03-07 - LBA for £2,914 = got an offer for £2,460 (23/04/07) tempting but rejected on 26/04/07 (they did in fact pay this into her account, but I sent a letter requesting that it wasn't an acceptance and could they withdraw it!) :D

01-05-07 - issued court proceedings for £3,829.49 (inc £795.49 interest AND £120 court fee) on 27/04/07 =

FULL & FINAL SETTLEMENT for £3,847.41 on 28/05/07!! :eek:

so didn't even defend it, just acknowledged it, so keep your head up guys, don't let the bluff off letters fool you and keep persuing!!!

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

CONGRATULATIONS..!!!!

Thats fantastic news. Well done..:D :D

Dont forget to do the survey..

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Guest littlesally

Congratulations!!!!

It's looking like the banks are caving in a bit quicker these days. They seem to have run out of fight!!

Lot's of money to spend.

Well done, really pleased for you

Sally x

Most encouraging!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

• 1 month later...

got some bad news, just checked my g/f online banking, and now there's no record whatsoever that it's ever been paid in!

except of course the bank statement they've sent through the post & of course their letter to say payment's have been made & will be made!

what else can i do with the fact they seem to have taken out £3200 but left in £600 with no warning or explanation!

not happy, but now they're gonna know even more interest.

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

wait a sec, it gets more confusing!!!

they have in fact paid the cash back into her closed account?????

this statement is for her old account hence, why it looked like they had removed the cash from her current one! doh

so she has £3247.37 in an account that was closed 18 months ago, with no card and not showing up on here online banking!

nice one halifax

double double edit, it appears that somehow they have hidden her account online, but i found some setting for it to show now :)

all sorted

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX

let's just say it's a good job i found it otherwise they were going to get not such a nice letter! lol

£3900 (+ £1500 interest)

waiting on court

CC v HSBC

BC v HALFIAX