• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Urgent Attention Please Read - Claims in Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, sorry if im posting in the wrong place - is this thread closed? I have 3 calim against the Clydesdale Bank, 1 joint person account at one branch in Inverness, my husband has a business account at another branch in Invernss. I had business account at the same branch my husband had his account but they closed it after they levied their unlawful charges and it is now with a DCA but I am going after the bank anywayfor this account . My question is can I put in 3 seperate claims as these are 3 seperate accounts although all with the bank.

Please advice someone:o

:-|

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are three different account numbers, three claims.

Business claim accounts are seperate anyway.

Start a thread for your claims

For the business claims start your thread in here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/business-claims-bank-charges/

Edited by Bigmac versus

Ashleyjane remember that the Scottish system is different to the English system and that the small claims new limit as of January 14 2008 is now £3000 (from the £750 before) and that if over that figure £3001 to the maximium of £5000 is Summary Cause, above that it is Ordinary Cause.

The forms are of course different which can be downloaded from the Scotcourts web site

A little caution should be used in business claims due to the status of the business example UTCCR should not be used in any LLP or Limited Company (PoC) Particular of Claim .......Sole Trader ,Partnership, LLP or Limited company

Thanks Bigmac & Stivis,

I have posted a threat on the business forum. I think I will start the process for personal account since all the work is done and hold off on my husband account until more is known about this. My main worry is my old business account and the DCA - any thoughts on how to get to that particular monkey off my bank in the meantime?

Thank again

Take care if you are approaching the 5 year mark with your husbans account,

You could put the DCA account into legal dispute and then target the DCA to refund the charges , which would most likely be repaid into the account , and any balance owed to yourself refunded , or if there is still a shortfall it would be owed to the bank.

Hopefully the DCA would when face with a struggle hand the account back to the Bank,

I think I would start with this account first and get it out the way , then leave it for a couple of weeks and start your personal one.

The reason for this is they could settle with the personal one and take the money to pay the business one ......This would be under an "All monies due clause" ( RBS are terrible for using this )unless the business is limited

Hi Stivis, Thank you for your comments. Looking thru' my paperwork I see that the bank have sent me a "Notice of Assignment" to Phoenix Recovery who are acting on behalf of it compartment Tessera Recoveries - they in turn have assigned this to Rockwell Collection Agency. I nowassume they "own" this debt. Is the next course of action to send them a letter saying this is in dispute and asking for the CCA?

I also note from the letter that the 'Assignor' is NAG Europe Group which I beleive own the Clydesdale Bank.

Any help would be greatly apperciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my first post :) so hi every one!

I was just wondering if i could get some help?

I am trying to claim my bank charges from clydesdale bank for around £1500, I have written to them etc. and the financial umbudsman service has too, I heard from them a couple of months ago saying that all cases were on hold till after the court test cases. I was just wondering if i am to just wait or what happens next?? if any one can give any advice it would be much appreciated as i just want to get whats mine back from them! :-|

Hi mum26 and welcome unless you are going to claim financial hardship then you will indeed need to wait for the ruling. What I would say is that if you dont continue to court then you may lose out on interest.

I will guide you through the process but you need to start your own thread in the CB forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I am planning on raising an ordinary action against HBOS to recover just over £7000 in bank charges.

No doubt the bank will request the claim be sisted, pending the outcome of the OFT case. Obviously I plan to object to this course of action, and given the amount of successful requests presented to Scottish courts over the past year I hope to be successful with my request also.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what should happen now/what I should do now?

I have made an appointement to speak to a solicitor in Dundee as I do not feel comfortable raising this action without some legal assistance.

Bestest

DT

Well for a start if you wish to raise an ordinary action you WOULD need a solicitor, are you aware that with this action costs could be awarded against you should you lose. My advice would be to consider the FOS as a possible route to reclaiming which would be safer.

To be successful in court you will need to have a very sympathetic sheriff, the cases sisted far outweigh the cases won.

I wouldnt advise anyone to take O A, wait until 7th July and see what comes out then. In the meantime read up a little.

Points noted...

...but no one has lost (so far) and the bank would never risk disclosing it's actual charges if it proceeded to proof in court. Could it be the case that not enough people are requesting the sherrif lifts the sists?

The sheriffs in edinburgh seem to be waiving the sists fairly regularly, but I have no idea about the ones in Dundee. Perhaps I should do some digging.

I have considered the FOS and then re-considered the FOS and I always come back to the same conclusion- if the banks appeal (which they will) then appeal to the European Commission (which they could) they could (in theory) drag this out for a couple of years yet.

Note, I am only considering an OA given the amount involved. I would also consider 2 summary actions if it were possible!

DT

Well people have lost and had to attend cost hearings weeks later.

You can lose without actually having your case heard (technicality)

Im not trying to be negative here just to alert you to the real possibility of costs being awarded against you should you lose. It isnt a route you should take without weighing up the pros and cons and not one many people would advise you to take.

I have attended a couple of cases myself and tried to oppose sists and have argued my points on many fronts only for the banks to get their sist at the end of it.

I agree 100% that the case could be dragged on for some time yet.

If you were successfull using 2 summary actions you could recover £6000 but as your probably aware using this method also carries risks.

If you were paid out on the first SC without appearing at court then you would more than likely get the 2nd SC without much hassle.

If you had to appear at court on the 1st occassion though this could effectively ban you from further action on that account. Its a gamble also isnt it.

It's impatience really

And the constant nagging feeling that I should have done this last year.

I started the process almost 1 year ago but given HBOS' failure to respond to 2 SARs, my complaint/claim came after the OFT decision to take the banks to court, the sunsequent waivers, etc.

What REALLY p****d me off was that the SARs were done in my local branch and written by by the staff themselves!

Furthermore, I'm still not convinced that the OFT decision to take the banks to court was the correct one!

DT

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it sounded like you may be able to help me with something, here is my question:

1) I live in Scotland and bank with RBoS and have been charged about 7/8 times (£35) in the last 2 months for going over my agreed overdraft limit. This happened as it is my Ebay account and have frequent money going in and out. Can I claim this back? and how would I go about it?

Sorry again for the hijack!

Many Thanks

James

Can I claim this back?
Yes.
how would I go about it?
Have a read through the FAQ's and the Bank Templates Library. Also have a read of the Scottish Claims Procedure

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Have not seen the solicitor. Was told over the phone to await the results of the hearing last week before getting some formal advice. Seems some solicitors have a soul!

Has anyone attempted to get a sist lifted lately? I have a feeling that if this drags on for much longer, strong arguments can start to be made.

Have not seen the solicitor. Was told over the phone to await the results of the hearing last week before getting some formal advice
.Not accurate sheriffs do actually know the test case is in England only, the problem is how can I put this , Scottish solicitors will do anything to avoid going up against a bank,In Glasgow they have an agreement aledgedly that states that if they go up against one in particular they will get no more work from the bank

Seems some solicitors have a soul!

that'll be a first

Has anyone attempted to get a sist lifted lately?
there have been a few, check out the govan law centre web site , Mike Dailly has had success, and some failures( In case anyone asks the GLC is a free site and I believe they don't take cases as such more public service, BUT I could be wrong )

You could try this , or at least think about it .I have absolutely no idea that it would work ...submit a summary cause for just under £5000.00 then later after done and dusted submit a claim to FOS.

My thought is If you have submitted a LBA with the full amount then you have started a claim , so the limitation time scale would have started

Think there may be a few people approaching their local courts in an effort to get the sists lifted. "They" can't keep the sists indefinately!

And this case could drag on long enough.

Decisions. decisions....!

It would be as well to go along to your local sheriff court and ask if sist are being lifted, another but not too accurate way would be to look under daily list in your local court to see how many case are coming up the listing would be ........Joe bloggs V Bank Name Plc