• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Urgent Attention Please Read - Claims in Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone on this site please explain all abbreaviations?? im am getting a wee bit confused on all of these four lettered words? would maybe understand them a wee bit more if the words were included? just a suggestion..

Thanx for your help again,

Caroline x:p x

Caro, the quote on post 250.

While you could go through the FSO,may I clarify

Claims in Scotland all at the Sheriff Court

Up to £750 Small Claims

£750 to £1500 Summary Cause

Over £1500 Ordinary Action

All these figures omit the interest , which is added on as a percentage only not as a figure on the Particulars of Claim which should be correct for the Sherrif Court that the claim is filed

trust this will be of benefit

can someone on this site please explain all abbreaviations?? im am getting a wee bit confused on all of these four lettered words? would maybe understand them a wee bit more if the words were included? just a suggestion..

which ones do you want explained.

• Haha 1

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

hi new to all this

have sent second letter to BOS for £2,889 plus interest of £504.62

and suprise have received no reply.

want to send letter to go to court BUT confused about what court and how to go about it with a claim of this amount

any ideas???????

Just lately Clydesdale bank have changed their defence and have had success from this and been awarded costs, this has been tried and tested so please be aware and move carefully.

Advise had been given not to run smallclaims at the same time to avoid the action being moved to OA and quite rightly so, however after claiming an earlier smallclaim for £750 i had my second smallclaim case thrown out today as incompetent due to having claimed earlier.

The ruling was that i should have claimed all the charges at the same time and not to return at a later date and claim again for other charges as i knew or should have known at the earlier smallclaim that these charges were to be claimed also.

So in Scotland against CB only at the moment as i expect other banks to use this soon, if your charges are say over £1500 then you will only get one claim at it so decide if it is worthwhile raising an OA or accepting the £1500 (summary cause) if you are not the much over it.

Hello,

Could you clarifiy for me if it is ok to put 2 claims in if they are different accounts (with the same bank) - I have one claim for about £500 and another for £200 but once interest is added its over £750 so would like to do 2 claims. If not I will just claim both but not interest.

Bigmac,

i spoke to the FOS today re: 2nd claim to CB (1st claim was summary cause, settled out of court to my satisfaction) for the repayment of further charges.

The gent i spoke to explained in no uncertain terms that the FOS would not touch my 2nd claim, as i had already raised a court action and settled.

I tried to explain that in my view, they were 2 separate actions, as the total amount of charges was about £3K and the court action was for about £1.5K, therefore I wanted the FOS to consider a second, separate claim of around £1.3K, but he wasn’t interested. He was definitely a bit annoyed that i wanted to discuss this rather than just except his explanation as final.

I am of the opinion that the gent I spoke to did not fully understand my situation, as he wouldn't let me explain it completely. He seemed much more interested in getting me of the phone!

Has anyone come across this advice from the FOS before? or can anyone confirm that the chap i spoke to was in fact a clown?

cheers

PandHandJ

Bigmac,

i spoke to the FOS today re: 2nd claim to CB (1st claim was summary cause, settled out of court to my satisfaction) for the repayment of further charges.

The gent i spoke to explained in no uncertain terms that the FOS would not touch my 2nd claim, as i had already raised a court action and settled.

I tried to explain that in my view, they were 2 separate actions, as the total amount of charges was about £3K and the court action was for about £1.5K, therefore I wanted the FOS to consider a second, separate claim of around £1.3K, but he wasn’t interested. He was definitely a bit annoyed that i wanted to discuss this rather than just except his explanation as final.

I am of the opinion that the gent I spoke to did not fully understand my situation, as he wouldn't let me explain it completely. He seemed much more interested in getting me of the phone!

Has anyone come across this advice from the FOS before? or can anyone confirm that the chap i spoke to was in fact a clown?

cheers

PandHandJ

Will try and find out more for you.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll see the FOS backing up the courts in telling us we should be claiming everything in one go. This wouldn't bode well for those who started splitting their claims before it was evident that the courts were taking this step.

Ok here is some info on the FOS

The FOS cannot investigate a complaint until the firm has had an opportunity to put things right. The procedure is explained fully on their website http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

If you have carried out legal proceedings over the same issues you wish to refer to them and a ruling has been made in court they would not be able to consider a complaint about the same issues. As long as the same issues have not been addressed in court and a ruling has not been made on them they would be able to consider the complaint. If a court case is ongoing they would only be able to consider a complaint which relates to the same issues if the case has been put on hold.

You can request interest if you would like this as part of a settlement to your complaint and an adjudicator would consider whether or not this would be awarded if an investigation is carried out by our service. If an offer has been made in full and final settlement and it is accepted the FOS would not be able to consider the complaint. If it is accepted but is not on this basis they may be able to consider the complaint.

If you wish to pursue a complaint, unless you have already done so, you should therefore complain to the firm and inform it of your contact with this office. You can do this in two ways.

(a) You can contact the firm yourself, when you should ask that your complaint be put through the firm’s internal complaints procedure and resolved or a final decision letter issued. The firm is expected to complete this procedure within 8 weeks of the date the complaint was first lodged.

(b) The FOS can send details of your complaint to the firm, on your behalf, if you submit a complaint form to us. (Alternatively, you can provide the FOS with the necessary details by speaking to a member of their staff, on the telephone number shown below).

If you want information (or the form) by post, you will need to confirm your postal address.

I should add that they need a form endorsed with your original signature when a final decision letter is submitted to this office, or if you wish to report that the firm’s time limit has been exceeded.

Please note our postal address and enquiries telephone number:

The Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

Tel 0845 080 1800

Tel 0207 9641008

Fax 0207 9641009

stivis

yes iam in scotland (edinburgh)

it appears it would be so much easier to do this in england

£750!!!!!!!!!!!small claims pretty poor

It isn't

because I've done it in Scotland and England , several times

remember £1500 in Summary Cause

although Edinburgh to Berwick on Tweed isn't that far

pandhandj

Personally I would not bother with the FOS , I would file the claim , split it if you have to ,but that is only my opinion

As long as the same issues have not been addressed in court and a ruling has not been made on them they would be able to consider the complaint.

You are not complaining about the same issues that were adressed in court, these issues have bean dealt with, your issues you wish to complain about have not reached a court room so therefore no decision has been made in relation to them.

My case is being considered even though i had my second case thrown out as incompetant i said it should be allowed to be investigated as the decision reached in court was about the process i took not the charges, the charges have not been ruled on in court.

I also spoke to the FOS a couple of weeks ago and asked the same question in regards to pandhandj's situation and was told as long as a court case isnt in process they will accept a complaint even though an earlier case had been settled.

All,

I did try to explain all the details, but the chap was much more interested in getting me off the phone. He did mention "full and final" but i pointed out that i had only accepted the CB's offer on the court claim and as yet i have not taken any action wrt my second claim.

It now looks as if the guy i spoke to did not fully understand my situation.

I will now contact the FOS with regard to my second claim. I intend to use the letter i recieved bak in Dec '06 from N. McMurdy stating that the CB had rerached it's final decision and if i dont like go and see the FOS!

yet again, thanks to all at CAG for their help.

cheers

PandHandJ

Hi Juleslivi you CAN have two actions as they are two accounts, hope this helps.

That was a helpful *ruling* Bigmac! Thanks!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Afraid I have to agree with Bigmac. The chances of CI and beyond 5 years in Scotland is unlikely to be supported by the FOS.

However, I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding my claim, so if by some miracle they DO agree it should be claimed, I'll be straight on here to let everyone know.

But don't hold your breath.

Seahorse - has the situation changed now about the 6-year limitation thingie in Scotland - since that response of yours in April?

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

pandhandj

Personally I would not bother with the FOS , I would file the claim , split it if you have to ,but that is only my opinion

Stivis - Unfortunately he doesn't have that option as his claim is against Clydesdale who used an old law to successfully defend Bigmacs second claim.

pandhandj - I knew Bigmac had the info on FOS that I was thinking of. Have you got everything you need now?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.