• Tweets

• Thanks Dx. Still finding my way around this forum thing. Cant tell you how grateful I am for all the help. Just submitted the 75 to Natwest. Fingers crossed.
    • ok nothing historic there then. dx  
    • Hi All,  I have tried to use my own words as much as possible, any better suggestions are welcome.  I have been sleepless and hence i can't really think of alternative words, will definitely give it another go if you have points that i may have left out? Worry
    • Thanks all for all your input. I have decided to follow this all the way. So far, I have not replied to Alliance Parking's original NTK letter. The time-period for the reduced amount has now finished, and the time to appeal (21 days from the date of letter) will finish on 25th Apr. No further comms received from Alliance Parking. Could you please guide me, for my readiness, on what happens next? Am I going to start receiving letters from Alliance Parking > Debt Collector letters > Letter of Claim? Who sends me the Letter of Claim - Alliance Parking / Debt Collectors / Solicitors / court? How many weeks / months from now is this likely to be? Once Alliance Parking passes the debt off to the Debt Collectors, is there a risk of anyone turning up at the door? Do I need to reply to any other letters from either the parking company, debt collectors, or solicitors? Many thanks in advance.
    • I've just noticed this so wanted to my apologies for my response to this yesterday I didn't realise his name was worry, I thought you meant worry as in be concerned not referring to his name.   My apologies.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Strange Response From Abbey To Request

NickR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After reading about so many situations similar to my own I sent my letter to Abbey's Complaints Dept in Milton Keynes requesting 6 years worth of statements. I sent the letter together with a cheque for £10.00 on 14th April via recorded delivery. I checked on the Royal Mail's online track and trace service which confirms the letter was delivered on 19th April after the bank holiday.

It has been 28 days and I'm getting a little impatient so thought I would phone the complaints dept so they could confirm receipt of the letter and that progress was being made.

I have just been told that they have no record of the letter on their system and I quote "No way of possibly finding the letter"!!! and if I would like the statements I simply need to speak to the banking dept in Bradford.

Is this just a tactic of theirs????:mad:

My cheque has not yet been cashed.

What should I do???? Do I wait until 40 days are up and see what happens??:?

Do I send another request and cheque??? Do I speak to the people in Bradford??:-|

Just wondered am I the only person in this situation and can someone please advise.

Many thanks :D

I would re-send your DPA letter as it was originally sent (i.e. with the original date) with a covering letter telling them that they have 40 days to comply. You should tell them the 40 days began on the original date. I would send it Special Delivery (GUARANTEED delivery, next day). Don't send another cheque, you have proof that they have received the first one; if they choose not to cash it that's their affair.

Then wait...

You could be cheeky here and tell them the 40 days began on the original date.

Then wait...

that's not cheeky - the 40 days IS already running, as delivery of the letter has been confirmed. If they lost the letter after that, that's no resaon for the 40 days to start anew. That would be a stalling tactic.

Call or resend the letter by all means, but stick to the original deadline - not your fault they are incompetent.

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

Thanks for the advice.

I am sending a copy of the original request to the manager of banking services in Bradford (thanks to members of the forum for the contact details). I have mentioned in the letter that I am also writing to The Information Commissioners Office and The Banking Onbudsman. (I'm not really going to, but they don't need to know)

I've asked for all the statements be sent to me within the next 14 days, and made it clear that I find the situation completely unacceptable.:cool:

Oh I've also included a copy of the proof of delivery from the Royal Mail. (Let's see them get out of this one!!):?

Although I have attached another £10.00 cheque I have told them that I do not expect both payments to be processed.:-o

Let's hope this approach works, I'll let you know in 14 days time.

I have mentioned in the letter that I am also writing to The Information Commissioners Office and The Banking Onbudsman. (I'm not really going to, but they don't need to know)

This will not concern them a great deal - although it is something that is worth saying, and I would actually consider making a complaint in due course. Abbey now have two county course cases in progress under the Data Protection Act, and should they start to get too many the IC may be forced to put some real pressure on them.

I would seriously consider adding that if they don't comply, you will issue a court action under section 7, and section 15(2), of the Data Protection Act 1998.

• 3 weeks later...

Following my 2nd letter as mentioned prviously in the thread...

Well as expected still no statements or confirmation letter from Abbey and my records show the 14 days is up tomorrow 08/06/06. So I have just rung their complaints dept. The young lady was quite helpful and confirmed that my 2nd letter has been recieved and that a request has been made for 2 months statements!!. :o

She also tells me that a letter was sent out to me confirming that the request has been made on 27th May. (Not surprisingly I have never recieved this letter). She has now changed my request to 6 years and the relevant dept have marked the request as urgent. It should take about 2 weeks. At least she has given me a reference number regarding her help

This is becoming very tiresome just trying to get to first base, I'm sure that Scabbey are making thing as difficult as possible and using every delay tactic possible.

Because their 14 day stay of execution is over tomorrow, should I proceed with court action for non comliance of my DPA request or hold out some faith in the helpful woman I've just spoken to???? :confused::rolleyes:

Do you have this assurance in writing? If you ask them to write to you within 48 hours confirming the date by which they will have fufilled their DPA obligations. If they refuse to write or if the write and refuse to give you a date or if they write and give you an unacceptable date, then commence a DPA claim when your deadline expires.

Never accept any verbal promise or vague written promise from Abbey. Their behavior over DPA compliance is scandalous and, in my view and I know of at least one of the other mods, unfit to hold a consumer credit licence.

I am aslo going to be going down the same path as your self, if l were you never trust what any individual on the phne tells you, if they have missed the date, take your next action.

good luck;)

Guest louis wu

I am sure I have read that transcripts from telephone conversations can be requested, but can't find the post. Am I losing my marbles or can it be done, if the answer is yes then perhaps we should all do it after every phone call.

If the Abbey want to stall us at every opportunity, then perhaps we should be creating some work for them to actually do!!

I have said this in another post but ............

I have worked for a call centre, and when they say your call MIGHT be recorded for information or training purposes, your call IS being recorded. Most of these systems store the sound file on hard disk, so I would have thought they would be covered by the DPA ....... but don't quote me on that.

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

I work in a call centre where every single call is recorded and held on file for anyone to access for 3 months. These are then saved on disc and stored for 12 months before being archived. they are then held on record for 2 years before being destroyed.

Archived files can take a considerable amount of time to recover and will incurr costs to retrieve. Unarchived data ie anything within the last 12 months is free to access but a minimum process charge may be levied to retieve the data. This data also is subject to DPA.

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

I am sure I have read that transcripts from telephone conversations can be requested, but can't find the post. Am I losing my marbles or can it be done, if the answer is yes then perhaps we should all do it after every phone call.

The best thing to do is to record the phonecalls yourself. I think it is important to record all conversations you have with all companies as a matter of routine - you never know when you may need to refer to them.

I have worked for a call centre, and when they say your call MIGHT be recorded for information or training purposes, your call IS being recorded.

Not true. Just because your call centre does it that way, doesn't mean that all companies operate the same way. Some call centres just record calls on an ad-hoc basis for training and development purposes only. They may just record a few calls on to tape and then tape over them a month later.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Guest louis wu

Unfortunately, me and technology do not get along. So I will ask the, probably, really dumb question of, "how do you record your phone calls"?

Do you need extra equipment, or will a dictaphone next to the earpiece work (yes I really have no idea)?

Then, do you need to tell the person you are talking to that the conversation is being recorded.

I can see the advantage of recording your phone calls, but is it viable for everyone?

Thanks

It's very simple to record your calls. Holding a dictaphone probably wouldn't work as you'd have to hold it right next to the earpiece - then you wouldn't be able to heard the call!!

You can get a lead for a few quid from an electronics store such as Maplins which plugs into your phone then plug the other end in to your dictaphone/tape recorded/MP3 recorder etc.

You do not need to inform the other party you are recording the call as long as the recording is for your own personal use.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Guest louis wu

Thanks BARRACAD, even though I suddenly feel as old as my grandad. Damn this new fangled technology lol

Not true. Just because your call centre does it that way, doesn't mean that all companies operate the same way.

Agreed, it was a generalisation. However when you are dealing with the large companies such as the banks and mobile phone companies, your conversations are being recorded. Either that or the people I talk to at all of the above all have very good memories. Utility companies, councils, they all have a unique insight into my life ................................ or they are recording my conversations.

Now I'm just starting to sound paranoid ................. although the milkman always knows how many pints to leave. ROFL :)

If money is the route of all evil, I must be a Saint

Most large companies have a system call " ONAir" which is linked to both the PC and the telephone system of the operator. It records both the telephone call and the screens accessed by the operator. However due to the storage reuired for both sceen shots and telphony it will depend on the type of storage contract the company has as to what percentage of screen shots are recorded. from my experience the screen shots are genreally around the 15% mark however all calls are stored whether screen shots are available or not. Phone calls that ar recorded are subject to the DPA and therefore can be requested in addition to any other DPA requests. This will of course be a considerable undertakiing for the company as the sytems cannot record the exact details of the call unless there is another form of call logging system in operation, this also brings into afeect any written records of call logging that is used to idetntify the call.

it may be very interesting to request these records as part of your DPA request as any written comments such as "" this cust isan arsehole" could add fuel to any claims

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

I've always taken the opportunity to record my calls to these places. It's got to the point now where I have a small DVD collection with them on.

It also helps that I have access to a large radio studio, which obviously has the ability to put calls out to any media possible.

This is good, as the quality of the calls are superb.

I've has to use 1 or 2 of the recordings in proving what a company has said in the past, simply by replaying it down the line to the manager or supervisor...

Priceless moment, I can tell you !

It's about time we started taking greater control, after all, we are THEIR customers !

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I returned from holiday with expectations only to find 12 months worth of statements together with the usual "Im affraid the information is held on microfiche and will take some time".

Also I received a letter from the debt chasing department demanding that I pay my outstanding £2,000 overdraft in full as the next step is legal action.:o

What do I do next????

They have given me no indication of when I will receive the remaining 5 years statements other than to tell me the £10.00 I sent them will be used for this purpose.

How can they take me to court over an overdraft that is mostly made up of charges that I am disputing and they are not enabling me to resolve??

Has anyone ever received 6 years worth of statements from The Abbey???

I just want to find out how much I can claim for and can't even get the information that I'm entitled to.

Still I'm not giving up yet!!!:cool:

You need to ensure that they haven't changed your request from a subject acces under DPA regs to an ordinary request for copy statements. If they have done this (and recent letters from Abbey suggest this is their latest ploy), then you need to write and confirm to them that it was a subject access request. This ensures they have a 40 day limit. If they are treating it merely as a request for copy statements there is no time limit and you''ll probably never get them.

Some people have received 6 years of statements but they seem to be few and far between.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

Thanks for the advice. Is there a letter template that I should use regarding my subject access request not being changed to a request for copy statements and who should I send it to.

Regarding the debt collectors, is there a standard letter I can send them explaining that they are not allowed to chase a debt that is partly made up of disputed charges.

Also what's my next step as they have not sent statements within 40 days of my original letter.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm keen to follow advice based on experience from the site rather than branch off on my own.

There're templates for DPA non-compliance in the template library; I would use one of those to request the missing information. Add a bit if you like (but you don't need to now that 40 days has elapsed) that despite their contention that this was a "request for copy statements" it was in fact a statutory request for data under the Data Protection Act - as clearly stated in your first letter - which is what your £10 was intended to cover.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks