• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Beyond a joke! - ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After the Halifax taking total of £415 in charges during a 30 day period in March-April I'd had about enough.

Having read through the site, found the PDA template and sent the request for the information on the 21st April, my second chase up telephone call of this morning revealed the Halifax has no record of my letter on their system (ok, made the newbie mistake of not sending the letter recorded delivery!)

I was told the request was put on system there and then and the information I requested (copy of all statements from Feb 02) will be processed today and I should receive them beginning of next week.

Not going to hold my breath!

- HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 08/06 - £2334

- HALIFAX II SETTLED IN FULL 08/07 - £1785

- INTELLIGEN FINANCE SETTLED IN FULL 07/07 - £380

- EGG SETTLED IN FULL 08/07 - £348

- BARCLAYCARD SETTLED 01/09 - £708

- MONUMENT SETTLED IN FULL 02/09 - £790

- HALIFAX III - LOST - £1497 :mad:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, spoke to soon! Post arrived this morning containing 28 envelopes with requested statements. Charges totalling £1504 since Feb 02.

Also received the following letter:

"Completion of request for a list of transactions and charges - X/XXXXXXXX-X.

Thank you for your letter requesting specific information on the above accounts.

I confirm that copies of duplicate statements have been ordered and will be sent to you under separate cover at the latest by 2nd June 2006

With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with this request.

Should you have any general account queries please contact the 24 hour banking helpline on 08457 20 30 40 or if you have any data protection concerns relating to your personal data, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Details of how we use your data can be found on the Internet under Security and Privacy section at www.halifax.co.uk or www.bankofscotland.co.uk. If you would like a copy of the registered Data Protection Notification details, this can be found at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk. Alternatively, please let me know if you would like me to forward a copy of either to you.

I have enclosed a copy of our leaflet for your information, 'Personal Customer Complaints - Here's what we'll do'.

Yours sincerely,

Adam Schofield

Data Protection Consultant"

So, just sorting out the Prelim Letter but was wondering how I caculate the interest or find the spreadsheet from the BankingActionGroup.

S'ok, found the spreadsheet in the library. :oops:

Ah OK, so to work out the overdraft interest I just sort through the statements and total up all the "Interest Debited" amounts?

UPDATE: Letter received this morning

"...Thank you for your letter on 17th May 2006.

I am sorry to learn of your concerns regarding charges on your account.

We're keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. a customer Relations Manager will investigate the point you have raised and you will receive a reply shortly.

You will find enclosed a copy of our leaflet, which tells you how we handle your complaint.

Your concerns will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but to help us deal more efficiently with your enquiry, please quote 0843##### when writing or telephoning the number at the top of this letter.

Yours sincerely,

Jane Preston

Customer Relations Manager"

Then followed a phone call from another Customer Relations Manager saying he was reviewing my case with regards to my letter and as a gesture of good will he could offer me a refund of £136 in lieu of the charges made in March and April. When I explained the figure was unacceptable due to the erratic nature of the charges, he then offered me £500 as "maximum amount, one off good will gesture". It was then explained to me that if was HBOS policy not to offer more than this amount in respect to excessive charges and that if I wasn't happy with the amount then it was within my rights to complain to the Financial Ombudsman and he would put a leaflet in the post explaining how I go about this.

What made me laugh was the jump from £136 to £500, there wasn't even any negotiation. The minute I said that £136 wasn't acceptable he went straight to £500! Ahahahaha!

So, what's my next step?

isnt it amazing beggars belief, im sure they pick amounts out of thin air,

you keep going and the best of luck.

I had a similiar letter to yours only when it says you will receive a reply shortly i have this other bit added 'but certainly no later than 4 weeks'

and no direct number to call.

I think you accept the £500 but not in full and final settlement, from what i have been reading on the forums, have you had it in writing yet, offering the £500? when you do, reply with a letter stating that you accept this payment as a part payment and will be pursuing the balance.

please someone correct me if im wrong :0)

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

A letter confirming the £500 offer and a leaflet on how to complain to the Financial Ombudsman should arrive by the end of this week.

oh right just dont accept as full and final settlement. only partial.

im looking to see if there is a letter to this effect im sure ive seen it somewhere lol, but where im not sure,

ill keep looking for ya. cause i know its here somewhere lol

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

I would say something along the lines of.... "In response to your recent offer with regard to ...... May I remind you of the details of my original letter stating my request for re-imbursement of unlawful bank charges (quote the bit about unlawful in common law, statute and recent consumer regulations).

Although I appreciate your offer, I would like to notify you that my request was for £xxx, and should a positive response not be received by xx-04-2006, (quote your original deadline for payment) then I shall have no option but to file court action.

I do hope this matter can be resolved amicably blah blah.

(ive pasted this from chipsandsausages, Hope you dont mind chips if your reading this) lol

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Bugger! I've screwed up here!

Letter arrived this morning

"..Thank you for your recent letter.

We offered to refund you six months worth of charges to your account, which you refused to accept. Please understand that we are not prepared to refund all of the charges that you have incurred on your account over the last six years.

To comply with legislation, I would like to let you know that if you remain unhappy you can refer your concerns to the..... blah blah blah"

I was expecting the offer of the £500 refund to be put in writing, and not just given verbally over the phone!

At a loss as to what to do next? Any suggestions??

It doesn't actually matter, mate. All you need to do is stick to your guns, adhere to the deadlines you set and continue claiming for the full amount.

Send them a LBA with a clear date as to which you will file a claim against them. They may well write you another offer, they may not. Either way, you WILL need to file the claim and make sure you do it on the date you said you would.

Only at this point can you add 8% interest on what you're claiming, so it's probably an idea to work this out now using the spreadsheet so you're ready to go on the date of the claim.

Good luck to you mate.

Claim against Halifax for £492

:: Moneyclaim form filed 22nd May, total claim now £649.57 including costs and 8% interest.

:: £210 offer recieved 19th May, rejected

:: LBA sent 8th May, 22nd May deadline.

:: £70 offer recieved 6th May, rejected

:: Recieved Halifax charges leaflet: 28th April

:: Original Request Sent: 25th April / Deadline: 10th May

View my progress

Cheers all, was going to wait for today's post, as that would have been the 14 day period since sending the prelim letter. But from the letter I received last week I doubt very much they're going to re-offer me anything. LBA letter will go out via recorded delivery today.

• 2 weeks later...

The Halifax have replied to my LBA with a letter with the following points:

"...You understand that like other organisations we incur costs for every transaction made. we pay an item against an unauthorised overdraft or return an item unpaid, we incur extra coasts regardless of the shortfall involved. We believe it is fair to pass these costs on to the accounts affected, rather than absorb them into other areas of our operations, penalising all our other customers as a result.

We clearly outline our charging policy in the terms and conditions that apply to your account. In addition, we are committed to complying with the Banking Code, which sets standards of good banking practice for banks and building societies to follow when dealing with personal customers. The terms and conditions of your account state that you must have funds in your account to cover your transactions. We cannot be responsible if you have authorised payments against funds that were not available.

As a gesture of goodwill we offered to refund six months worth of charges to your account, which you refused to accept. We have also advised you that you can refer your concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service. We are not prepared to refund all of the charges that you have incurred on your account.

I trust that it clarifies the Bank's position on this matter.

Yours blah blah blah

Wendy Jack. Customer Relations Manager"

On the subject of the 'good will gesture', I was expecting it to be put in writing and not just offered verbally during a telephone conversation. Despite mentioning this in my last letter to them they keep referring to the fact that I refused to accept the offer.

Looks like I'm going to court!!

Keep on going - I'm raising my first court action tonight, so I'm at about the same stage as you.:D

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

OK, as it's very unlikely I'm going to get another reply from the Halifax, changing their position and offering me the charges back in full, it's time to raise my court action.

I've used the XL spreadsheet from the Lib to work out the interest and it's the next part where my nerves are kicking in and I'm beginning to panic just in case what ever I do next is somehow incorrect and will ruin any chances of me getting my money back.

So basically I need the following help:

1: the best/right text to enter in the 'Particulars of claim' box from the Money Claim website, I've had a good search through the threads and FAQ's on here and found several versions that appear different?

2: having used the XL spreadsheet I've got a figure of £1682.00 charges and £187.41 in 8% interest. I've also calculated they have charge me a total of £30.24 in interest payments for the times I've been in overdraft. Do I add this to the charges and 8% interest figures, or is interest calculated on this too?

So, any suggestions?

Hi,

I'll type up my claim text shortly (see my PM to you). On the form you should be claiming for the charges plus the amount of interest charged on those charges. You also claim back the cost of the DPA (if charged) and I'm also adding about £5 in postal charges (special delivery, etc.). In the box marked Value on the N1 PDF I have amounts for the following: -

Charges

Interest on Charges (using Vamp's extended spreadsheet)

Subtotal (total of the above lines)

s69 Interest (8% interest on subtotal calculated using spreadsheet)

Postage (if applicable)

DPA (if applicable)

Grand Total (Sum of everything from subtotal downwards)

and a note showing the daily interest (in pence) that will be added each day until settlement.

I'm not sure if the Moneyclaim site form works the same way. I used a variation of the text from Bankfodder's guidance note on filling in the Moneyclaim form http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=634 as my Brief Details of Claim, and used a version of Bankfodder's particulars of claim http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=681 to fill in the Particualrs of Claim on the reverse of the form. I assume that is correct...?

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Cheers for the advice, but it's now brought up even further questions!

Is is best to use the Money Claim website approach or the old fashioned way and visit the court. After looking at both the Money Claim way seams to limit the amount of information you can submit, where as by using the N1 pdf gives the opportunity to enter better details of the claim.

Plus, this is going to sound a real 'blonde' question - appologies to all you blondes out there - but where do you get the daily rate of interest from???

I'm obviously having a bad week, either that or I'm going to be the first of us to actually lose a claim - lol!

Cheers for the advice, but it's now brought up even further questions!

Is is best to use the Money Claim website approach or the old fashioned way and visit the court. After looking at both the Money Claim way seams to limit the amount of information you can submit, where as by using the N1 pdf gives the opportunity to enter better details of the claim.

Plus, this is going to sound a real 'blonde' question - appologies to all you blondes out there - but where do you get the daily rate of interest from???

I'm obviously having a bad week, either that or I'm going to be the first of us to actually lose a claim - lol!

I used the N1 because I wanted to attach a printed list of charges and avoid the restriction on the amount of text. It costs £10 more for my level of claim, but I'm expecting to get that back.

Multiply your total claimed by 0.00022 to get the amount in pence to add as a daily rate.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

"Ah, light dawns on marble head" - cheers.

I think I'm going to do it the old fashioned way and visit the court myself, only because you can get/show more information using the N1 form. Plus no way can I get all the details on the Money Claim form in under 24 lines.

OK, anyone got any advice for my visit to the court?

• 2 weeks later...

Halifax! - more like Halifux!!

Got to the court with copies of all the relevant documents, all went nice, easy and smooth until they tried to take the £120 fee. Card was rejected due to 'them' taking another £76 in charges.

This is now waaaaaaaaay beyond a joke. Will have to wait until next week and I have the funds to pay the £120 cost.

Def not going to give up on this now. Will keep you updated.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks