• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

santamonica v RBOS **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to post.

Received my statements which show charges of £1746. Sent my prelim letter yesterday for £1393 (already had £353 refunded by going into the bank on numerous occasions and disputing them)

Despite reading the FAQs loads of times I still messed up and asked for the total amount back, can I start to break it up into claims of £750 when I send the LBA or will I need to just claim it all back at once now through the sherrif court rather than the small claims court? :confused:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already.

Gillx

p.s. I'm in Scotland

Hi Santamonica. Im prety sure that in Scotland you would need to split the claim - although despite being born in aberdeen thats about as much as I know about Scottish anything :)

Although I DO know that even though your LBA asks for the lot you are still able to claim it as you see fit.

Best of luck with your claim(s)

Thanks for the reply, when I send the LBA I'll stick to claiming £750 and then claim the rest after that ones finished.

My claim will be higher anyway if it gets to court, they charged me another £35 yesterday for 'card misuse'. I wrote a cheque knowing it wouldn't clear until money went into my account, phoned the bank to tell them the money was there so I wouldn't get charged (done it befoer and been fine) but was told by the teller the money had to be in the account the day before. She then told me that writing a cheque when the account was empty is illegal :shock: and they would be applying the charge.

The bloody cheek!!!!!

Got a reply today after the sending the preliminary letter from Tommy McLean, he is a busy man:rolleyes: . Seems to be a standard letter, the same as everyone is getting, going on about credit cards!

I didn't ask for credit card charges to be refunded (yet!!! they're next on my hit list), I just want my BANK charges refunded.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got a reply from the LBA from Tommy McLean again. Standard letter, pretty much the same as the reply to my prelim with a couple of extra paragraphs directing me to the FOS.

Looks like it's off to court so I will hand the papers into my local sheriff court asap.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Finally got a response from the bank offereing me £389 (half of claim) as full and final settlement.

I'm really not very good at the wording in letters, is there a standard letter I could send to accept this as an interim payment?

Also, when this one is complete do I need to start from the LBA letter again? My original letter requested the full amount but had to split the claim as I'm in Scotland.

Thanks in advance

Gill.

Sent an email to Judith Carrie (solicitor for RBS) accepting their offer as an interim payment, she replied sayingthis wasn't an option and it had to be accepted or rejected as full an final settlement.

Replied rejecting it and within 30 minutes she replied with an increased offer of £639, we're getting closer to the amount claimed ;)

Part of the email says

'Notwithstanding this increased offer, please note that the Bank does not

consider that the interest element detailed in your schedule is recoverable

by you on the basis that your statement of claim is for interest from the

date of service and not the date of each charge.'

Anyone know what she means by this, before I reply to her message?

Interest has been calculated from the date the charge was applied to my account using the spreadsheet on this site.

Will ask her to clarify before I reject this offer, it's still just under £200 short of my claim.

I replied and asked for clarification regarding the statement

'Notwithstanding this increased offer, please note that the Bank does not

consider that the interest element detailed in your schedule is recoverable

by you on the basis that your statement of claim is for interest from the

date of service and not the date of each charge.'

I got a reply saying

'You are required to set out the full extent of your claim in the "statement

of claim" section of the court papers. You have done this by stating that

you claim:

" .........the sum of £744 with interest on that sum at the rate of 8%

annually from the date of service for each charge ....."

This means that you can only claim the 8% interest from the date of service

of the court papers and not from the date upon which each charge was applied

to your account (as you have detailed in your Schedule).'

Is this right, will I need to change my claim and only claim 8% interest from 8 June when I handed the papers to the court?

No it's not. The daily rate is the bit that is claimable from the date of filing, but 8% is claimable on each charge from the date it was applied to your a/c.

They're either lying or don't know what they're talking about.

I suggest you set them straight and tell them the claim is not settled until this is paid.

Received an email today agreeing to pay £792, £40 less than the claim. I'm probably going to accept (I have no job therefore i'm skint). The bank has said they will credit my account as soon as possible with it.

The problem is I don't use this account anymore and it is £460 overdrawn (£320 of it charges :rolleyes: ) can I insist they pay me by cheque before accepting this.

Thats a tough one, I would say if you haven't filed a money claim yet, and you will have to pay 120 quid upfront is it worth it? I mean you are going to get it back in the long run but... you would get it all if you stuck it out. If you consider what your time is worth as well...40 quid? for possibly stress of filing and court documents ect;

I'd say take it, if they credit your account you probably won't have to sign any "full and final" settlement letter so it leaves the door open to go back for the remainder.

Most likely they won't send you a cheque unless it gets to Cobbett's stage. It would clear your overdraft anyway?!

Claim has already been filed, they have a return date of 18 august and hearing date of 25 august.

I'm going to accept but have just received a letter this morning saying the account is now in default and closed and they've cancelled my card and cheque book.

If they pay me by cheque I'll go in and pay my overdraft minus the charges of course :rolleyes:. If they credit the account how am I supposed to withdraw the remainder?

I've just won my first claim and am about to start claim number 2. I'm getting ready to send them the lba requesting the rest of the charges, question is, should I send it to head office where all my other letters went or should I send it direct to Judith Carrie, the person who dealt with and paid out on my last claim??

• 2 months later...

Won my first claim against RBOS and in the process of doing the second one but getting really quite worried now. Al, the letters have been done and court papers issued.

The return date is tomorrow with the hearing 9th November and I've heard nothing from the bank, :confused: not even a letter saying 'go away'. I'm prepared to go to court as I knew there was always a chance it would but still nervous.

Anyone tell me what actually happens when you get into court?

2 things to do. Firstly keep checking your bank balance (monies often magically appear at the last minute)

Secondly, if you go to court, get ready for a wee suited chappie to aprroach you with a letter offering full settlement. This has also happened on a number of occasions.

There is a third scenario.........The bank have administratively cocked up and not filed a defence/ do not turn up on the day. If this happens, then file for a judgement by default.

Look on the bright side, your money is now within touching distance. Let us know how you get on.:grin:

j

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks