Free gas - can't find who my gas supplier is !

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3533 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some advice on this odd situation.

I moved into a brand new house about 3.5 years ago and the original supplier of electricity and gas was Scottish Power. Before I had ever received my first bill for either, an NPower guy knocked on the door and offered me a good deal for both gas and electricity which I signed up for.

About 2 weeks later, I got a letter from NPower saying that they had contacted the previous supplier and they had no record of me so they were not able to continue to migrate the services. They asked for meter numbers which I tried to supply with limited success. Ended up calling Transco and a few other companies but were never able to find the instllation number of the gas meter which apparently installed by United Utilites (who were also unable to help).

After going round the houses with this, I eventually gave up and waited to see what would happen. 6 months later I got a bill from NPower for electricity only. I have been paying Npower for electricity since then but have still (3 years later) never heard anything about about the gas and have never paid a penny to any supplier. I have gas central heating so do use quite a bit of gas (especially in winter).

I tried again to resolve this matter after I had been in the house about 18 months. I rang NPower but they said they couldn't switch me without details from my previous supplier. My previous supplier (Scottish Power) have never heard of me as I don't think the property was ever set up on their system.

My concern is that one of the suppliers is going to realise their mistake and I'm going to get a massive bill for 3.5 yrs of gas usage. Would I be obliged to pay this ? I've heard that they can only charge you for the last 2 yrs of useage - is this true ?

Thanks

Adam

Adam

Not sure about how it works in bonny scotland, but i would suspect they would be able to relciam the cost of the gas based on the mistake elements of the limitations act (sec 32.1.c i think for the english version).

I am not sure how this would work in practice since you could owe somoen a lot of money if they dont work it out soon.

It would be good to find out im wrong, limitations act is normally considered to be about paying money but i dont see the principle any different in that they have supplied you with 'goods and services' for thwich they expect to be paid.

i know you say you have been trying to sort this out, have you written to anyone or has this all been phone work?

if not i would write to the local suppliers and see if you can sort it out. should it all come down on your head, being able to show you had tried to sort things out should provide some mitigation and at least allow you to negotiate from a good position.

JMHO

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

They can only charge for the last 2 years of gas useage that is unbilled. From July 2007 this reduces to one year so if not sorted by then they can only go back one year. To find out who your supplier is phone 0845 601 3048 which is an automated service from transco. You need to choose option 2 and you do not speak to anyone and your provider is not informed you have made an enquiry.

I am a consumer helping other consumers. Together we can and will make a differance. Please double check any information or advise I may give as I like yourself am learning as I go along in life.

1) give a small donation to this site to keep it going because without this forum I would know nothing.

2) Use your experience to help somone else on another thread.

Please do not PM me, my mail address is my username at this site address . I will not under any circumstances give out advise or help through mail, only on the open forum, however feel free to mail me to point me towards your thread and general talk etc.

Ozzy

thats interesting stuff and make me feel glad im wrong, where does the info you posted come from please?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for the info guys. I tried calling that number and told the automated system my address. It spent a while checking and then said that it was unable to provide information for my address and that I would be passed through to an advisor to assist. I hung up at this point as I'm in work but might give them a call back from home later.

Lol Hacka, forgot to mention it doesnt like accents.

Hiya Glenn, Read below m8.

It is on the code of practise for accurate bills, the code was developed by the energy retail association.

• On 21 October 2005 BSI (British Standards Institute) issued a press release outlining a BSI standard in better billing for all the industries, including utilities and this has received some media coverage.
  • Improving billing for our customers is very important and we are working with the Energy Retail Association (ERA) on new initiatives which continue to demonstrate our commitment to better and clearer bills.
  • The industry intends to launch a Billing code and aims to have an ombudsman dispute resolution service, in place by July 2006.
  • The BSI announcement is a continuation of the industry plans revealed in February and is in line with key actions to emerge from Ofgems recommendations, following the super complaint made against the industry in April 2005.
  • The view from the ERA (and therefore the industry view) is that the billing code supersedes and goes over and above the BSI standard requirements.

Ofgems July 2005 response to the super complaint

• In its super-complaint report - ofgrem found no evidence of significant and widespread consumer detriment associated with billing processes

However, energy suppliers were given a year to deliver key steps demanded by Ofgem:

• Suppliers must stop back-billing customers beyond two years, if no bill is issued and supplier is at fault. This falls to one year from 2007 .
  • New independent disputes body will be able to award compensation
  • No evidence of widespread failure of industry billing processes following super complaint
  • Proposals to help customers, particularly the vulnerable

I am a consumer helping other consumers. Together we can and will make a differance. Please double check any information or advise I may give as I like yourself am learning as I go along in life.

1) give a small donation to this site to keep it going because without this forum I would know nothing.

Please do not PM me, my mail address is my username at this site address . I will not under any circumstances give out advise or help through mail, only on the open forum, however feel free to mail me to point me towards your thread and general talk etc.

thanks for that, something else to try to remeber for the future

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

No worries Glenn

• 4 months later...

hakka hi

i work for national grid so can find out this info for you with out anybody being notified if you would like to pls message me with your house number and postcode,

it would make a nice change for me to be able to help somebody on here and return the favour.

if anybody else has any problems with gas and electric meter exchanges then i would be happy to help out where possible,

• 1 year later...

I have had exactly the same problem! I moved into my house in May 2008 and I was told that the supplers of "dual fuel" was Scottish Power. I wanted to stay with my previous supplier (nPower) so rang SP, gave them notice etc. and then started the ball rolling with nPower. I received a letter a few weeks afterwards saying that there was a problem and they could process the new account for my electricity but not my gas as SP had denied holding the account.

I rang the Estate Agent and they contacted the previous owner and again said that SP were the providers. I rang SP and they denied it!!

I contacted Transco by phone and email and I was told that there was no trace of either my address (my house was around 18 mths old at this time) or the serial number from my gas meter.

I asked the woman on the phone what that meant, how did I stand legally? She replied that because there was no-one registered with them as supplying the property, because the property in theory was non-existant and, because there was no trace of the meter serial number then legally no-one could charge me and yes, I do have this bit in writing, I made sure of that!

• 4 weeks later...

this is my first post.

My brother has lived in his house for the last 19years.

poor man has never had a gas bill yet.

he tried everything to find out who to pay.

not one of the gas suppliers wanted to charge him..

he was putting money away up to a couple of years ago

then got a nice car instead.

crank the heat up and good luck.

If my advice helped you please click my star

The same happened to me when I moved into a newbuild flat 2 years ago. "We do not have the address on our database." Then I started to get bills at my addresss for a name that was not mine and for the supply of gas to the flat above who were not that name either.

I foolishly made a great fuss and after 9 months or so it was sorted. A neighbour has not had a bill in 2.5 years so she has had free gas for the firrst 1.5 years. You are expected to inform them that you are the occupier from time to time - but do not overdo it !!. Make sure you keep a record of anything you do. What can you do if they do not recognise the address? Curiously nPower seem to know your address for the electricity!

All the utiilities make horrendous errors over newbuilds. We had problems withe water a well.

Hi,

I have a similar problem I have a dual fuel account with british gas and have only been billed for gas since 2005 but today recieved a bill from 2005 to Jan 2009 for electricity the whole bill came to £1644 they have credited it back to £298 which they are asking me to pay only trouble is the whole thing is based on estimated readings the last one being 10908 but my reading today is 20777 I have had my meter read three times in this period the last time being only a month or so ago. What do you sugest I do as the next time the meter is read I will end up paying over £1000.

thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

hi all,,

niice to be here. i hav a friend with the same problem,, but the difference is that he hasnt tried to make contact for around many years, but before that he did and stopped trying. What would anyone advice he does and who to contact, or should he not even bother as the supplier isn't to bothered either. many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have a similar problem I have a dual fuel account with british gas and have only been billed for gas since 2005 but today recieved a bill from 2005 to Jan 2009 for electricity the whole bill came to £1644 they have credited it back to £298 which they are asking me to pay only trouble is the whole thing is based on estimated readings the last one being 10908 but my reading today is 20777 I have had my meter read three times in this period the last time being only a month or so ago. What do you sugest I do as the next time the meter is read I will end up paying over £1000.

thanks in advance

Hi Ellis

This sounds like an attempt to circumvent the 12 month rule. The actual bill for the last 5 years should have been roughly double, the majority of which should have been written off.

Grumpy

I would start your own thread so that you get proper advice

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3533 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you