• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

sococarolyn v Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If they're both personal accounts it would be best to do them together.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it!! Gulp... I've submitted a claim for three accounts. Still waiting for my 18 years of statements for my own account but have filed a claim for our joint account, hubby's account and his old business account. I presume I just keep checking the moneyback claim site to see how it's progressing?

Carolyn, you should claim the business account separately. It is covered by contract law, not consumer law.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/64975-business-claims-basic-guide.html

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

As long as you didn't use the standard POC for personal accounts which quotes consumer law it should be fine.

Thanks for the link Caro. I had got confused, I hadn't submited the business claim but I have just done it using your business claims link - thanks very much for that. So now I just wait two weeks and see if I hear anything from the Yorkshire Bank? I'm not sure what happens next, getting a bit confused again :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I've filed three claims with the Courts and received the documentation from them acknowledging the claims. Yesterday I got letter from Yorkshire Bank's solicitors offering me a payment of £460 and I have 10 days to mull their offer over! I am claiming for about £1000 plus expenses so it's not even half but I don't relish the prospect of going to Court!

They are also late in sending me the statements for my last account. After talking to Caro, I sent off for all 18 years worth of statements and they are now about a week overdue. Do I ring the bank first or go to the ICO? And if I have to go to the ICO does anybody know what to do lol?

Carolyn ;)

Can anyone help me here? I have rung the Yorkshire Bank about my statements being overdue from the allowed 40 days. I have requested my banking history from them but they are saying I can only claim for 6 years. They have given me the number of the Customer Relations department but it is constantly engaged...just wondering if anyone knew for sure about claiming the full 18 years I have been with the bank?

Thanks

Carolyn

Can anyone help me here? I have rung the Yorkshire Bank about my statements being overdue from the allowed 40 days. I have requested my banking history from them but they are saying I can only claim for 6 years. They have given me the number of the Customer Relations department but it is constantly engaged...just wondering if anyone knew for sure about claiming the full 18 years I have been with the bank?

Thanks

Carolyn

I don't know about statute of limitataions but just think of this as an example you got a loan 12 years ago for 10 years you are now in process of reclaiming charges do they get rid of all info over 6 years old including the CCA. That would mean they would have no proof you signed an agreement no proof of the terms etc, no way are they going to get rid of important documents. I have read threads where SAR for mor than 6 years have been used ok and others where perps have had to go to court and have got the request granted.

The company I used to work for kept all records for at least 6 years from account closure and now that they can be recorded onto dvd disk etc they keep records for 10 years

dpick:p

Have a read of the link below, it should help you understand the basis of claiming past 6 years a little.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/yorkshire-bank-clydesdale-bank/76009-yorkshire-bank-limitation-act.html

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled

Hi sococarylyn,

Disregard what they told you though it interests me that they said "you can only claim for 6 years" you should request that in writing (via registered post)!

My pre 6 year statements are now overdue also by about 3 weeks. That in itself has prompted me to claim contractual interest!

Hi

Have you done anything about it such as contacting the ICO? I keep ringing customer relations at Yorkshire Bank but it is permanently engaged! Think they've taken the phone off the hook! Don't know whether to wait a bit longer or what?

Carolyn

Have eventually received some statements from the Yorkshire Bank but only for the last 6 years even though I applied for my banking history. No attached letter saying there is more to follow or anything! Don't know whether there are more to follow or are they just playing dim?

Carolyn

SNAP!

No not playing dim just hoping to drag things out!

Immediately write to them hi-lighting their error and point out the fact that others ( I too am in same position as you regarding pre 6 years statements requested and not received) are aware of their stalling practises and that any response with OVERSIGHT is not acceptable!

They are getting tougher on us but we as a group need to be even more tougher! Remember to keep proof of deliveries.

Cheers Gogivit, I haven't kept proof of postage up until now though! Just checked with the Post Office that they have received them - gulp. I will write to them tomorrow stating that they owe me another 12 years statements yet!!! See what happens from then eh? Got the letter from them offering me £460 as a one of gesture of goodwill, surely a small proof of guilty actions? Got three claims in already but I so don't want to go to Court. I think their 28 days to file a defence is up on the 3rd July. Haven't heard anything apart from the offer of goodwill.

Carolyn

If you told me I owed you £50.00 I would think "what you talking about", the fact these banks offer good will gestures is beyond me!

If they feel they owe us nothing then why offer these goodwill gestures?

Maybe only coincidental but I received a goodwill offer for £200 on my birthday!

Naturally I returned it and pointed out it did not cover general costs for postaage etc let alone the refund of charges in there thousands :p

Please always send letters registered post, is expensive at £3.20 but at least a form of proof you have tried to settle the matter out of court and I assure you without proof they will deny any knowledge!!!!

Victory of sorts ;) Just had three letters from Yorkshire Bank re the three Court claims I had submitted. They have offered me a full refund of the charges plus Court costs but excluding the interest. I am accepting this (coward that I am) but the interest for all three accounts only comes to £102.03. I will gladly sacrifice that rather than prepare my Court bundles and go to Court!

On the matter of trying to get banking statements for my 18 year history with the bank, I have sent them a letter by recorded delivery requesting again my statements for my banking history. They have only sent me 6 years worth even though I requested all of them. I am presuming that they have to oblige under the DPA? And am I right in thinking that with the Yorkshire/Clydesdale Bank we can submit a claim for refund of charges throughout our banking history? Any help I would be grateful as the guy I spoke to at customer relations said I could only claim for 6 years.

Thanks in advance

Carolyn

Victory of sorts ;) Just had three letters from Yorkshire Bank re the three Court claims I had submitted. They have offered me a full refund of the charges plus Court costs but excluding the interest. I am accepting this (coward that I am) but the interest for all three accounts only comes to £102.03. I will gladly sacrifice that rather than prepare my Court bundles and go to Court!

On the matter of trying to get banking statements for my 18 year history with the bank, I have sent them a letter by recorded delivery requesting again my statements for my banking history. They have only sent me 6 years worth even though I requested all of them. I am presuming that they have to oblige under the Data Protection Act? And am I right in thinking that with the Yorkshire/Clydesdale Bank we can submit a claim for refund of charges throughout our banking history? Any help I would be grateful as the guy I spoke to at customer relations said I could only claim for 6 years.

Thanks in advance

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn I do know that other members of CAG have claimed back further than 6 years, I believe I have read a thread back to 1996 that was won. I am in the process of getting all the history and any other documents pertaining to my account from MBNA. They replied to my SAR with "on this occasion we have not treated your subject access request as a full subject access request and returned you your £10 fee (still waiting to see that £10) I sent LBA and received 4 years statements and nothing else. Then received a list of transactions and charges for 2004 to Feb 2007, but no other documents at all. Anyway to cut to the point I have filed at court for none compliance with SAR and they have till 9th July to reply to court. I want another 2 years of transactions, plus transcripts of recorded calls and any manual interventions all documents regarding my account.

So you can take them to court yourself if you continue to get nowhere with them.

all the best dpick:p

Thanks for that dpick. I have sent aanother letter informing them that I have statements missing, I opened my account in 1989. I'll see if anything comes of that and if not I'l copy you! Did you use a template for the Court claim?

Carolyn

Hi I used this standard template even though they have sent some info they had still not complied with the request.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6971-data-protection-act-non.html

Have no problem with you sending PM I can scan the N1 form and email if you want it.

Bit of advice you have to enter a monetary amount to allow claim to got through N1 I just put less than £1000 at discretion of the court to cover and court manager passed the N1 OK then.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received some more statements going back to 1996. The problem is that my previous statements which I need look like they were in a joint account with my ex husband! Question is, can I still claim this money back from '90 to '96 as this was the time that I was in desperate straights and paid a lot in charges? I remember getting letters saying that my wage was suposed to clear my overdraft! How do I do about finding that account number out though? All I have is the address we were at and the joint names.

And how is this for a breach of the DPA Act? Along with my statements was included another statement from some poor woman in London whose account details etc I am now aware of? Do I do anything about that?

Any help please

Carolyn :confused:

I have just received some more statements going back to 1996. The problem is that my previous statements which I need look like they were in a joint account with my ex husband! Question is, can I still claim this money back from '90 to '96 as this was the time that I was in desperate straights and paid a lot in charges? I remember getting letters saying that my wage was suposed to clear my overdraft! How do I do about finding that account number out though? All I have is the address we were at and the joint names.

And how is this for a breach of the Data Protection Act Act? Along with my statements was included another statement from some poor woman in London whose account details etc I am now aware of? Do I do anything about that?

Any help please

Carolyn :confused:

Hi Carolyn definitly a breach of DPA if statements have an address have a look on BT directoty enquiries (online) see if you can find anything and give a ring or write. If you cannot find any thing them ICO and report them for breach DPA