Help with budge car insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just reading some of the threads re: cancelling car insurance. To try and keep a long story short, my car was written off in February, I did not replace it, then:

17th March I rang, because they had been trying to contact me, was told my policy would be cancelled on the 1st April unless I replaced car. So I advised cancel it now because I'm not replacing it.

5th April letter dated from Budget giving me seven days notice the policy will be cancelled on 12th April, plus pay an outstanding amount of £90.13 (however my payments were up to date?)

10th April sent them a letter back requesting they adjust their cancellation date to the 17th March plus why the date discrepency.

Today received a letter still demanding £90.13 or else - so I rang and they said that the policy was cancelled on 12th, I queried why when I was told 1st? well actually they advised me it wasn't the 1st but the 5th as it is obviously difficult for me to understand their south african accent.

Have asked them to check my cancellation of the 17th March, they say they need to check recorded phone call all that as been noted was that I said ok (or that'l be fine)?

Is there a standard letter to request how they get to a sum of £90.13 still outstanding.

:confused: Thanks from easily confused.

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

It sounds like a payment plus a cancellation fee. However, I wouldn't get involved in all of that. They should be able to backdate the cancellation.

Have they told you why they are unable to backdate the cancellation until the 17th March?

Have you got proof that the vehicle was written off that day? ie. a Police incident/log number?

Do the Insurers think that they will get a Third Party Claim from the car being written off?

sorry this is more questions than answers, but cant really advise you on the info given!

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

They say that I did not make a request to cancel the insurance on 17th March.

The actual claim for the car being written off has been dealt with and all settled. It's because I didn't replace the car that the policy was cancelled.

I have requested they check that telephone conversation, no idea how long these things take.

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

Right - the claim for the write off. You said you didn't replace it, but did they pay out on the claim? If they did, then the money they are chasing is for the rest of the years premium. At the start of the insurance year, they made a contract with you to insure the car for 1 year. The fact that you dont have a car now is irrelevant to them, as you have a years contract, and they expect this to be honoured. If you look in your policy booklet then your cancellation terms are only valid if you do not make a claim.

They, however, can cancel the policy at any time, providing they give you the notice.

If they do, then they have to give you 7/14 days notice, and no administration fee should be payable.

If no claim has been made then look in the cancellation section of your policy booklet. It might be the fact that, if you cancel the policy then you would have to pay one months premium as a cancellation charge, so it was cheaper for them to cancel the policy. However, you should have been told this.

The best thing you can do is ask them if they have listened to the recording where you said cancel it now. If they are unable to locate it, dig your heels in and demand to speak to a manager.

If they advise that they have located the call, but find no evidence of what you have said, then ask for a copy of the tape!

Regarding how they have come to the charge, they will tell you if you ask them.

Let me know how you get on

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Please help, i have my car insurance with Budget, this policy started on the 1st March. My car went for it's MOT yesterday and failed miserably, the cost for repairs is £300 and that's what i paid for the car so i decided to sell it for parts. I wrang Budget this morning and asked to cancel the policy and they said i had to pay £95 for the privelidge i explained that i don't have a car to insure and argued the fact that i shouldn't have to pay please advise what i can do this is outrageouse and if i had known the cancellation process i would never have insured my car with them

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA sent 22/8

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks