• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Slick v Barclays(business) ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Barclays filed their AQ 5 days late and Court tells me judge will consider next move by 22nd. Waiting now to see how judge deals with CAG-suggested Draft Directions Order.

Meanwhile Barclays have written me a nice letter offering £1,240 to settle which is half my claim with no interest. Nice but not nice enough.

Do I have to send rejection letter in the meantime?

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Saintly.

I'll wait for the judge's directions this week, then send the letter you suggest, amended as nec'y.

Slick:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Baahhh, Just spoke to Court to hear Judge has put my case to a pre-lim hearing in September!

The Draft Directions didn't work here in Thanet.

I'll wait for the Order befrore I consider next move.

Shouldn't have been so impatient. Have a good w/e.

Slick

Spoke to Court today - V Disappointing.

Judge has looked at file and suggested 15 min prelim hearing but next dates available in my Court are September and beyond unless they get another Judge to help shift cases. Clerk said they'll send notice of hearing date IDC.

Stuck in limbo then OR is there anything else I could do, please.

Any word on the Chatroom - I could hang out in there till September.

Slick

• 2 weeks later...

Just called Court to chase up for a date and heard they've got some extra time allocated for these cases and my prelim is on 11th July.

Time to try the Lit'n team I think. Sgotta be worth a try?

I'll update my SOC first. V excited.

Slick

Sent updated SOC by email to Dino who replied in 8 mins to say who's d/w my case. Left message with Kate asking her to contact me asap, please.

Slowly, slowly - Catchee money.

Slick

No word from Kate today in response to voicemails and emails so sent following to Dino:

Hi Dino,

Claim No. 7XXXXXXX

Thanks for your very quick response yesterday.

I have called Kate 3 times but no reply so left 2 messages.

I also emailed her at 13.04hrs today with no response, despite the hearing being just 6 days away.

I appreciate how busy you and your colleagues are but would just like to know if this means you are not prepared to settle.

I need to know so I can take time off work as necessary.

Thanks for your attention.

Dino was slow today taking 13mins to respond saying he'd make sure Kate replied today. 20mins later, Kate called to say letter was going out tonight offering to settle in full with interest up to today. She had no copy yet of Hearing Notice so I offered to copy it to her (even though it's for Prelim) but she said not to worry.

So I've been lucky with the short-notice Prelim date saving several trees in not having to prepare 3 Court Bundles.

I'll wait for offer letter and dosh before discontinuing but, in the meantime, Thanks to Dar£n and Saintly who do such great work here. Thanks also to everyone who's threads have answered questions, inspired me and kept me going when doubts were all around.

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAA

Slick

PS Donation will follow receipt of dosh - worth every penny.

CONGRATS SLICK

Well done im really pleased for you.

will have to wait and see on mine but will keep you informed of how its going when and if i get my money!!!

If of course i will.

once again congrats on your win.

nic

Letter offering full settlement (charges, s.69 int't and court costs) rec'd this am. Marked Without Prejudice but they reserve right to disclose its' contents if I reject offer!

Just doing the letter of acceptance to fax back to Kate, wait for money in my a/c, discontinue at court, wait for Mexican Wave from Dar£n, then donate to CAG.

Thanks for your good wishes, Slick

Well done Slick,

My letter was also marked without prejudice but then said that the same thing about disclosing contents if I rejected. Strange cause I thought marking something without prejudice meant it can't be shown at a later stage without the agreement of both parties. Anyway i'm no solicitor so could be wrong.

Once again WELL DONE :D

MBNA **WON** at prelim stage £1518.30 :)

Barclays claim for £1800:- S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 08/12/06 / Prelim sent 20/02/07 / LBA sent 08/03/07 / N1 submitted 29/03/07 / AQ Submitted 11/05/07 / Defence struck out 05/06/07 / Judgement Order filed 07/06/07 /Cheque received and cashed 14/06/07 £2692.00

Congratulations...

Im just about to set out on the long Barclays Business Claim.... (17 years)

I paid Account control management fees £20, then £30 not to pay transaction, £50 in one go is taking the proverbial..

Did you get all your claim ?, and what did you claim for ?, which charges ?, Thanx, and well done

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

RFisher33 - Solicitor or not, You're RIGHT.

Hello peeps,

Tonycee - My claim went back just over the 6 years and was paid in full for all Paid Referral, Account Control and Unpaid fees. Are you going for 17 years in one go? Good luck.

Thanks for the Congrats but, blimey, some of you guys should try going to bed - I thought I was a night owl but I don't even compare....

Slick

Thanks for reply..Barclays technically defaulted thursday (05 july) by not entering a defence against my 6 year claims X 2 accounts Total £3,603.34. I only claimed 8% stat on this one, but if/when i get my money back i want to go for CCI, but STILL cant wrap my head around it.

Im at my desk now (12.56) and am going through my old business statements. In December 98 alone they charged my 19 X £27.50p (£522.50p) unpaids.... IN ONE MONTH. And i have 11 years to sort out.

Im also noticing dozens and dozens of maintenance fees of between £7.50p and £12.50p in my quarterly "Advance Notification Of Charges Statement"

I want every penny that i am entitled to, so thanx for help..

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

CONGRATS SLICK ENJOY EVERY PENNY

Progress

Barclays/Woolwich Claim 1

Pre Lim letter sent 15/12/06

LBA sent 29/12/06

N1 filed 25/1/07

Acknoledgement received 15/2/07

Defence filed 26/2/07

Amendment submitted on 5/3/07

AQ submitted on 15/3/07

Hearing Date 13/07/07 friday

Offer received on 07/07/07

Settled in Full on 09/07/07

Barclays/Woolwich Claim 2 (Pre 6 Years)

Pre Lim Letter sent13/07/07

Response Received

LBA sent 24/07/07

Response Received

N1 Filed (07/08/07)

NatWest Claim 1&2 (Pre 6 Years)

S.A.R sent 11/07/07

Statements received 04/08/07

LBA sent 04/08/07

Associates CC

S.A.R sent 13/07/07 - Awaiting their response

Capital One CC

Working out charges

Thanks again peeps.

Tonycee, I've replied on your thread.

Thanks to whoever for my ***WON*** banner but I haven't got the dosh yet.

Nor have I got a MEXICAN WAVE form Dar£n!

Do I need to PM a mod with Lit'n dets when I'm paid and how do I do this please.

Slick

Kate's quickly replied to say my pay't is being processed so should get it in the next few days.

May be going to Court on Thursday after all.

Might go even if pay't IS rec'd, to tell the judge, 'Thank you' - all I needed was a court date and Barclays settled.

Slick

Update, Just had phone call from Kate in Litigation Team at 8.35pm to say my pay't should be through by 10am tomorrow (Court day) ie before my hearing at 12.30.

She said they are so busy now and it's made worse by some people trying to claim back thousands when they have suffered much smaller charges but are just trying it on.

I'll be back when the money is in, Slick.