• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

mariejader v Abbey **DEFENCE STRUCK OUT!**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

£10 will get you the last 6 years of statements. Period! According to the Data Protection Act. With Abbey, however, you may have to wait longer than the 40 days. I did. They have been reported to the information Commissioner for non-compliance a few times. Report them again if they do not comply with your request within the alloted time.

Check out the stickies for the correct contact address.

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!:grin:

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya! :grin:

Barclays - settled in full £4799.38 ;)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Just about to send LBA to Abbey which I have copied from the template section, and note that the items in red need changing etc I don't understand what

plus a claim under ss.7 and 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998

Means so I am not sure if I should include it, can someone please tell me I have tried searching but can't find anything that helps me

Thanks in advance

this is regarding the non compliance with a request for account information under the DPA, if you have your statements and dont havn't requested any account information or if it has been supplied upon request, then you dont need it

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 1 month later...

Having followed all the details on here I have now completed my N1 returned it to the court and it was served on Abbey last Friday they have till the 9th of March to reply.

I have just received a letter which I think is slightly different to most of yours:-

Thank you for your letter dated xxx about bank charges. I am sorry you feel these contravene the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Having carried out a full investigation, we are satisfied the charges do not contravene those regulations and therefore cannot agree to refund them.

The regulations say that we must explain our charges in plain language and that we have to act in good faith, which, according to the OFT, means dealing fairly and openly with customers.

I therefore reviewd the literature and information you received when you opened your account, including the terms and conditions. This explains that charges will be applied if you do not keep to the terms of the account. Because of this, I believe we have been fair and open in telling you about them. The charges were correct because you did not have enough money in your account to cover payments requested from it. When I looked at the history for your account I found that, unfortunately, this was not the first time this has happened.

I am confident that I have been fair and have taken into account all the points you made in your letter, but if you have any additional points that you would like to discuss with me, please call me on xxxx. I have enclosed a leaflet about the FOS, in case you are not happy with my investigation or decision. If so, you should contact them within six months of the date of this letter, enclosing a copy of it, as they would need tthis for their investigation.

I hope we can work together to help you avoid charges in the future. Little things can help, like checking your account balance as often as possible and looking at the dates of direct debits to make sure they are teken shortly after money is paid in. In addition, we might be able to help by providing an overdraft facility to give you more flexibility. This could help to keep your costs down, as there are no charges unless you exceed your overdraft limit. So, if you would like to talk to someone about the options available, please call our telephone banking centre on xxxxx. Alternatively, if you think you might need longer-term help to manage your bank account, please call xxxxx and we'll be happy to help.

Any comments?

• Haha 2

I hope we can work together to help you avoid charges in the future. Little things can help, like checking your account balance as often as possible and looking at the dates of direct debits to make sure they are teken shortly after money is paid in. In addition, we might be able to help by providing an overdraft facility to give you more flexibility.

They quite clearly have not looked at my account the last time a charge was applied was March 2004 and then interest September 2004.

Since then I have no dd or payments going out of this account and it's just short of £500 in credit.

What do you think I should do give them a call and point out the above or just sit and wait?

To date I have not received any GOGW offers like the rest of you

It's a standard letter, they probably didn't even check your account before sending it to you.

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

Hi Marie,

Just had a quick read of your letter and it's word for word the same as a letter I received on 12thFeb apart from I had a two line paragraph about a GOGW payment they'd made, and they offered me an increased overdraft where they offered you an overdraft facility.

Otherwise it's identical and it's so obvious that they haven't really done anything because they withdrew my o/d facility on Jan 1st, and here they are 6 weeks later offering me an increase!!

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

It does seem stange to me that they say they have investigate fully but obvioulsy they have not!!!

Also everyone else apart from me has received a GOGW offer, I wonder if this is because I have been a good girl since 2004?

I am in two minds if I should call them or just sit and wait until next week?

I am on my second claim with them because since starting my first claim (which is at court stage) they have taken another £700 since November. I have not used the account since this date and my account was within the od limit when I left it, but now I am over the overdraft limit and they are sending me nasty letters saying they will send my account to a credit reference agency and default me for not making any payments.

The 2 letters I have received off them for my second case are word for word the same as what I got for my first claim! They must just have a stack full of numbered letters and they pull one of the top and send it out, whether it's relevent or not.

I haven't had any joy with phoning them, and now I have been advised to wait until my court date is through until I try again.

I hope you have better luck than me, because I started in July!

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

Thanks Kerry I started in March it took them until July I think from memory to send the statements (sorry all dates were in my signature) but due to other matters at home I did not do anything till December.

well I have phoned the court to see if there have been any correspondence receive from Abbey and guess what?

They acknowledged my claims on the 27th Feb 2 working days after it was served and they are defending in full, so now they have until the 23rd March so I am told to reply to the court.

Can someone answer this as I am now confused, the lady at the court said that this means they have a further 2 weeks which takes them to the 23rd March, does the two weeks start from the date they were orignally to reply which was this Friday 9th or does the two weeks start from the 27th which would then take it to the 13th March?

Hi Marie

As a matter of fact, the account is over the agreed overdraft limit (because of their damn charges) I tried to arrange to pay them off over a month (we get money paid in at various times in the month) but, when I said that a couple of the credits were benefits they seemed to stop listening to what I was proposing, kept saying they'd cancel all transactions on the account and take payments from the other non-benefit credits! So that's what happened and now we have a useless bank acount til the charges are paid! That was the straw that broke the camels back and made me decide enough is enough! So, maybe that's why I'm not in the GOGW club! (I can wait!)

:) KnellyK:)

Received the paperwork from the court yesterday advising Abbey has filed an acknowledgement of Service on the 25th Feb.

When I took my original paperwork to court (3 x N1 and list of charges etc) I left them all there,

It took a week for the court to raise the notice of issue which they sent me a copy, however I have not received my copy of the N1 back should I have a copy?

Good luck with your claim Marie. I have had pretty much the same experience as Kelly, my second claim has produced the same letters as my first. Abbey will just string you along until the final deadline and then pay up. Hold tight. You will probably need to produce a bundle to the court and an allocation questionnaire so you might be wise getting some research done about what these entail so you are ready when that stage is reached.

Marie, I believe you should, yes - a nicely court-stamped copy with the claim # entered on it. Regards, Mad Nick.

Oh no I think I've screwed up!

I sent 2 copies of the N1 to the court and KEPT a copy for myself, which obviously means it doesn't have a court stamp on it. Is this going to be a problem?

Sorry for highjacking your thread, Marie.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks