langhar

Lowell Financial/Red debt collection services

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4207 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been reading about many peoples experiences with Lowell Financial Ltd. I have similar problems to everyone else and would like some advice if anyone can help.

Back in late 2000 i had a very messy divorce which left me in all kinds of debt. I couldn't afford to make mortgage repayments that resulted in me being repossesed and i fell into £10,000 arrears with the CSA which i am still paying back and i defaulted on a Capital one credit card (amongst other things). Due to my repossesion i have only been able to rent houses and have moved approx. 6-8 times in the last 6 years. In that time i have not heard anything from Capital One with reference to the debt (to be honest if i had i would probably have ignored it as i have been concentrating on paying CSA to avoid prison). The lenders from the repossesed property are asking me to pay back approx. £16,000 which they say they lost when house was auctioned.

Just recently i settled into my current home and to my horror received a letter from Lowell saying that they had purchased the debt from Capital One and they wanted me to pay £840 to them to clear the debt. I must admit i have not replyed to them yet. Yesterday i received a letter from RED Debt Collection Services saying that they where acting on behalf of Capital One and unless i contact them and agree to repay the debt they will advise their clients to make a claim in the County Court which could ultimately result in a petition for my Bankruptcy.:-( Interestingly at the bottom of the letter in very small writing is "Red Debt Collection Services is a trading style of Lowell Financial Ltd".

What is my best course of action? Is the debt Statute Barred? Is there any way of finding out how much of the £840 debt is charges and interest? Am i best to try to reason with them and make an agreement to pay an amount which i can afford?

Please any advice will be much appreciated. Sorry that thread is so long.

Think you need proper help to deal with all the other debts. They make the difficulty with Lowell seem like small fry. It needs to be sorted though and perhaps the best way would be to force Lowell to provide the proof needed to make this debt stand up. You could send them a CCA letter or you could ignore them and get hold of your credit file. If it makes no reference to Cap1 you may be right in assuming the debt is statute barred. If it is there post back for further help.

I have a copy of my credit file from experian and the only mention of Capital one is under the linked addresses heading dated 10/09/00.

I am paying the CSA both maintenence and arrears repayments and to date am awaiting confirmation of repayment amounts for the repossesion shortfall, which is why i am reluctant to acknowledge the CCRD debt if it is in fact statute barred.

Thanks for your advice.

If you believe it's been more than six years since you have acknowledged the debt then use the link below and send letter M.

Good luck.

Pam.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

I too am being chased by Red and Lowell.

I sent letter N to Red Debt collection Services, but their answer was: We are in receipt of your request of a copy of the executed credit agreement in accordance with section 77(1) and / or 78 (1) of the consumer credit act 1974..

The account agreement to wich you seek is not a regulated agrement.

Please contact us to put forward your proposals to settle the outstanding debt.

Today I got a card through my letterbox saying they are urgently trying to contact me. At my door!!

The easiest would be to pay, that would get them off my case and stop this stress, but I simply cannot pay for something I am not even sure I owe.

Is anyone able to advise me what my next step ought to be?

I would be very grateful for any advise!

-Catjeposh

Catjeposh, I would advise starting a new thread where you will get good advice, but I wouldn't worry about that card. Look at it again, I bet it's franked with second class postage. Many of us have them and yet they don't seem to want the tea and cakes that we all have waiting. Don't pay. If you don't even know what it's about you shouldn't be paying. I think there's a letter around somewhere that states they've no right to be chasing you if they're not sure that you're the person who owes the money. Anyone?

Stay strong, don't let them win.

Thank you, Fuzzgin. I will start a new thread, just trying to figure out how - lol. I am pretty new to all this. I just hate unfairness.

Thank you again!

Good luck. Me too on the hating unfairness.

Red is just a trading name of Lowell if you look at the small print at the bottom of the letters. They are one and the same.

3 days ago I received a communication from Lowell Portfolio, saying that

they had me listed as having lived in Wick, Caithness..........I have never

been to Wick, or even Caithness.....

Their letter said that if I did not phone the given freephone number they

would assume it was true.......

Naturally I phoned, and exploded !

They said that they had receivd the information from "Experian" ( The credit

check organisation )

I have since replied by recorded delivery, to tell them that was a complete

LIE, as had they done so, they would have found that I had an exemplary

credit record. Also I have told them that I have legal protection insurance,

and intend seeing my solicitor, as I regard this as a defamation of

character, and a slur on my honesty, and integrity, and that I will seek

substantial damages, unless they give me a full apology, and compensation

for my trouble ....

I suspect that what they do, is write to everyone of a similar name, from

the UK Electoral Register, as it is cheaper than doing an individual credit

check with Experian ! ( I wonder if they checked with a famour actor of the

same name ? )

I believe that if it is more than 6 years since you

a) repaid any money on the account or

b) Wrote to your creditor regards acceptance of the debt with no monies being paid then I believe that it's Statute Barred as you say.

I am going through this at present with the same company and will keep updated. I believe my case to be statute barred and have today sent a recorded letter asking them to acknowledge this fact.

However, don't phone them - without using 141 before the number to be dialled (to hide your phone no) and personally I would never phone them. Keep all letters sent to them - I would ask for a copy of your signed credit agreement, by recorded delivery and wait for the reply. Don't sign any letters you send out to these people - and finally you will recieve plenty of more idol threats - some offering reduction of debt if you pay up others threatening the big guns and bankcruptcy. All mine to date have been empty threats and from what I have read on here most other people as well.

Best of luck

Can someone please help me. I have an account with lowell financial, I have written them letters offering repayment but just get a letter saying i have not been in touch, i have also recieved letters from red which i have since found out is the same company. I have also sent e mails but they come back as address not know.

How do i get in touch with these people?

cazza09 You might be better starting your own thread and explaining in that what the letter said, what the debt is for, when you last made a payment on it, etc.

If its a loan or CC debt you should be asking for a copy of your original CCA use the template here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

letter N

If you want to email it's post@lowellgroup.co.uk.