• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Andy-T v Clydesdale Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been meaning to start this process for a while now and bitten the bullet and written my info request after discovering £135 worth of charges last month alone after getting into some financial difficulty and going beyond my overdraft limit.

So far..

23rd Feb - Request for Information Letter posted 1st class Recorded Delivery

26th Feb - Royal Mail reporting successful delivery

27th Feb - Cheque Cashed By Bank

So guessing I should have some more news by the 7th April providing Clydesdale fulfil my request within the 40 day period.

Wish me luck..

You won't need it.;)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

ok, times running out for the bank to get back to me with the deadline occurring this Saturday (7th April), all I've had in response to my request for transactions is two copies of their standard responses (dated a day apart).

While it is possible I will get a response in the next few days im not going to hold my breath and want to get ready for the next stage. Which is the best way to proceed from here? Should I be making a complaint to the information commissioner or allowing the bank more time and threatening them with a complaint if they again fail to meet my deadline? Really just looking for the quickest tactic here.

Andy

Ok, just received a letter from the bank confirming that they are going to be unable to comply with the Subject Access Request within the 40 day time period and that I am within my rights to complain to the ICO. Would like to put a bit of pressure on the bank to fulfil the request as quickly as possible rather than sitting around and waiting for them to respond in their own time..

Am considering sending the non-compliance template as found here. If this process is followed, should I also be informing the ICO or does seeking the court order bypass the need for their involvement?

You can do both, although I think it is likely to be the court action that speeds up the response. I believe you should also complain to the ICO though to make sure they are aware of just how much this bank are avoiding meeting their legal obligations, so they will step in and put a stop to it in future.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Caro,

Have slightly amended the template to inform the bank of my intention to complain to the ICO and allowing them a further 7 days before taking legal action.

• 2 weeks later...

Clydesdale recieved the SAR non-complience letter on their 11th and I've had no ackknowledgement from them so I guess I'd better carry through my threats and proceed with court action. There's a couple of things im not sure about though and would be grateful if anyone could help me out on the following:

1) All correspondace so far have been with the branch im registered with rather than the local branch. Im in Edinburgh so was hoping to use Edinburgh Sherrif court to avoid travelling. Is this alright? Also, should I be taking action against my branch or use Clydesdale HQ address as the defendant?

2) I've read throught the paticulars in the template's, I pressume these also apply to claiming in Scotland?

Any help on these issues would be appreciated!

Andy

Have been reading round some of the FAQ's and still can't find the answers to the above issues, if anyone even point me in the right direction?

Also, it just occured to me, while I don't have statements going back 5 years, I do have them from the start of the year. At this early stage, would it be un-reasonable to write to the bank with a preliminary approach for an estimated refunded calculated on the basis of what i've been charged over the last four months?

I realise this makes a sweeping assumption that I've been charged consistently throughout the last 5 years though in light of the clydesdales failure to comply with the SAR, surely it is up to them to disproove the accuracy of the figure?

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Still not much to report back yet.. Despite numerous phone calls and a couple of letters placed to the bank I have still not received a single statement from the bank after 87 days!

Did go to the court to enquire about forcing compliance and the clerk advised me that he didn't think there was much which could be done, rather I may be better arguing for damages when I finally get to put a claim in.. Is this really the correct process in Scotland?

Seems unlikely I'd be able to successfully claim damages on top of what they owe me given the £750 limit here and the likelihood that I'll have to apply through the FOS.

Thanks for the info diddled, it's somewhat comforting to know im not alone though it's not exactly reassuring!

127 days really does seem way out of the bounds of what Clydesdale suggest is merely a reasonable delay due to the volume of requests.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys how u all getting on?? any more success yet??

ive now left my complaint to the FOS My last prelum letter, the bank was late in replying, havent sent them another LBA, (first one asking for my copy of charges) It took me months to get my copies of charges sent to me, and i fairly enjoyed highlighting the unfair charges - i got a sore hand - lol! :-)

i have spokn to the financial ombudsmen now, hopefully they will pull teeth out the clydesdale bank now... sent them a copy of all of my letters i have sent to the bank and all the letters i have recieved from the bank including the copies of my charges which are all highlighted!! they also asked me for my first reference that was on my first letter from the bank, im sure it will all be in safe hands now??

i dont still send the bank my LBA now surely??

Thanx for your help again,

Caroline x:p x

Hi Andy, I am in the very same situation as yourself.

I sent my first letter away to Clydesdale Bank on 27th February along with my £10 Cheque which they cashed on 28th March! I did receive 2 letters 2 weeks apart stating that due to demand, I would not receive my statements within given timescale. I still haven't received my statements! I was advised by a sympathetic lady in Leeds office at the end of April that due to all the requests, these statements were being printed in Glasgow and I could expect them at the beginning of June! This was not due to manpower she assured me, but due to the machine not being able to cope with the demand! It 's a bit gauling though, 4 of my colleagues started this process (with different banks) and they have all been paid out. I haven't heard of anyone being successful with the Clydesdale yet!!

No progress as yet.. still waiting 107 days and counting..

Caroline, Looks like you were luckier in getting your statements when you did. Not really been reading much on here lately so not sure what your next steps are..

Aidcam, yeah, it's really frustrating.. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be much we can do about besides wait around though. Don't get too disheartened though, I've read numerous cases of people who've won against Clydesdale in this forum. Stick at it, im sure we'll get there eventually.

ok guys not happy!!! just came home from work and noticed a letter from the bank with a check for £200 when my original claim was for £1642.. and as abouve the FOS Are now in control with my claim as of yesterday x what do i do?? gutted!! :sad:

not so lucky now...

Oh my God!!!! That is so awful! Was there an exclamation for what that is for- surely not your claim!!!

Please, please do not bank that cheque! :eek: Just that I've heard if you do, the B******* take that as their final offer and that you have accepted it!

Shocking!

Marie

Oh my God!!!! That is so awful! Was there an exclamation for what that is for- surely not your claim!!!

Please, please do not bank that cheque! :eek: Just that I've heard if you do, the B******* take that as their final offer and that you have accepted it!

Shocking!

Marie

Tell me about it!! Not a happy camper!! but i spoke to the FOS and i faxed them a copy of the letter and check to carry on with my case!!

they told me to send the check back to the bank with a letter explaining im not taking it as my final settlement!!

anyone know of any templates here i could use to send back my check!? prerebly a harsh letter!!??

Hurray!

Finally got my statements after 113 days! Got the highlighter out and spent an hour or so going through them.. It's already been a worthwhile experiece just realising how badly I've been managing my finances of late! Oddly enough, it seems the more I've been earning over the last 6 years, the more trouble I seem to get into :confused:

Anyway, first count puts my total at around £1700 but i think im going to go through a couple more times to make sure I've got things right before moving on to the next stage. I've also not included any unathorised interest charges in that as im not sure im confident that i know which o include, though interest charges do seem extortionate for months I've gone over my authorised overdraft.

Anyway, off to go and double check my figures before trying to get my head around the interest spreadsheets!

Andy