style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Zebra222

Good News!!! I emailed a copy of the letter to Ian Duncan Smith's website last night as I thought he was my local MP, I received a call today from Lee Scott MP informing me that he had been passed my email by Ian Duncan Smith and asking me to send him a letter of authority to him at the House of Commons as he would be delighted to act on my behalf as well as all the copy correspondence. Guess its a blessing in disguise that my area is governed by the Tories!! I was shocked but thrilled to bits to get the phone call. I'm feeling empowered!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

• 2 months later...
Hi

I am being chased by Equita for unpaid council tax of just under £1700. Now I have dealt with Equita before and wasn't too impressed by the way they operate and ended up paying over £800 for 2 unpaid parking tickets. I should have taken legal action to try an claw back some of the charges but I let it slip. This happened last year, is it too late to pursue this?

Any way back to the problem with the council tax. They first wrote to me 2 to 3 weeks ago and again last week. When I phoned them and typed in my bailiff reference number I got an automated reply telling me that a bailiff was now in charge and that I should phone him and arrange payment with him. Now I have tried a couple of times to call him but he does not answer his phone. I have also spoken to someone at Equita who told me that he has my file and that they can not access my information, and they will not deal with me until he authorises them to.

After reading a few posts on this forum I would like to know if I should just start paying the council the arrears or try and speak to the thug, sorry bailiff and arrange payment. I can afford to pay it off at £250 to £300 per month, but I know for a fact that when I tell him this he will demand £400 or £500 per month and I defenetley can't afford that.

They are threatening to send him around with a van and that I should wait in all week for him to arrive lol! what a joke. My wife is in a terrible state telling me that I should just keep phoning him and agree to what ever he demands, but to be honest I am not getting my self too stressed out over it. Although to be honest I am a bit worried about the extra charges.

So basically I need to know wether I should ignore these idiots and go straight to the council or instead of speaking to them, write to Equita telling them how much I can afford to pay and that is my final offer and just keep sending them the cheques each month.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

as a bailiff with over 15 years experience i take exception to your remarks about bailiffs being thugs etc,most bailiffs that i deal with are more than willing to accept arrangements to suit your and the clients needs,saying there is no point in putting a person on arrangements they cant keep,but also has to be in the time scale set down by the client.After all we are working people like yourselves who choose this work rather than be a joiner, electrician etc.i think if you contact the bailiff in a correct manner he will only more than helpful to sort out your problems,if not, he is not doing is work correctly,but remember be awkward and rude to him will not get you the results only get his back up

Woody - I can appreciate why you take acception to the above remarks. I feel that it is more than likely that the OP is angry upset and frustrated, as our many people on this site.

We would welcome your input on this forum so please do not think that someones personal experiance means that you cant post.

As you will see there are many many cases of injustice done by bailiffs and I for one am pleased to know that there are bailiffs who have integrity and are proffesional.

SFx

Woodywhite, may I suggest that you take a look at the posts in here and see how bailiffs have acted with regards to how they carry out their duties, you wonder why people call bailiffs thugs well its pretty obvious, they use scare tactics to enter peoples homes and seem to prey on the vulnerable and most act out side their given authority. If you are one of the 'good guys' then why not speak out against the bullies, because at the end of the day they are the ones who are giving you a bad name. Not the people of this site. People only complain when an injustice has been done, Ive not read anything here from anyone who has had a good experience with a bailiff. I understand you are doing a job but if bailiffs did their job in the correct manner then they wouldnt be called bullies/thugs would they

Woodywhite, may I suggest that you take a look at the posts in here and see how bailiffs have acted with regards to how they carry out their duties, you wonder why people call bailiffs thugs well its pretty obvious, they use scare tactics to enter peoples homes and seem to prey on the vulnerable and most act out side their given authority. If you are one of the 'good guys' then why not speak out against the bullies, because at the end of the day they are the ones who are giving you a bad name. Not the people of this site. People only complain when an injustice has been done, Ive not read anything here from anyone who has had a good experience with a bailiff. I understand you are doing a job but if bailiffs did their job in the correct manner then they wouldnt be called bullies/thugs would they

I agree with what you say about bailiffs bullying people,there is no reason for it to happen,and i cannot justify anyperson using these tactics.

As for myself iam 54 years of age and would not dream of using force or unreasonable behaviour .Ihave a good relationship with lots of clients who i put on arrangements that is suitable to them and the council ,i can only say that if anybody is threatened or intimidated,contact the council and report the incident and ask them to be removed from dealing with you.

Obviously you have had a bad experience,all i can say stick to your agreed arrangement if you incurr any problems notify the bailiff who is dealing with your case and he should be able to sort matters out.

Ican only say that it is much easier doing business with somebody who is helpful,rather than a client who gets irate .

Please if you have any doubts about the cans and cannots of bailiffs go to google and search bailiff guide,and if any doubts when the bailiff calls quote from the guide,also special thoughts must be given to clients on jsa./income support,and vunreable people.if in doubt dont let bailiff in or tell them to call back when you have somebody with you.

hope it helps a little

woodywhite

I agree with what you say about bailiffs bullying people,there is no reason for it to happen,and i cannot justify anyperson using these tactics.

As for myself iam 54 years of age and would not dream of using force or unreasonable behaviour .Ihave a good relationship with lots of clients who i put on arrangements that is suitable to them and the council ,i can only say that if anybody is threatened or intimidated,contact the council and report the incident and ask them to be removed from dealing with you.

Obviously you have had a bad experience,all i can say stick to your agreed arrangement if you incurr any problems notify the bailiff who is dealing with your case and he should be able to sort matters out.

Ican only say that it is much easier doing business with somebody who is helpful,rather than a client who gets irate .

Please if you have any doubts about the cans and cannots of bailiffs go to google and search bailiff guide,and if any doubts when the bailiff calls quote from the guide,also special thoughts must be given to clients on jsa./income support,and vunreable people.if in doubt dont let bailiff in or tell them to call back when you have somebody with you.

hope it helps a little

woodywhite

hope it helps a little

woodywhite

I wasnt threatened or intimidated I was assaulted, I didnt threaten or intimidate or even speak unjustly to this bailiff, and he found it highly amusing that I had injuries that he explained to the police as being caused by me not letting him in. I didnt have to let him in, he showed no paper work, infact I wasnt even in debt and never have been in debt. My local council had made a mistake !!!!!!! This thug was certified so he should of been well aware of the procedure, but no, he decided to pick on a defenseless woman, who not only is registered disabled but was very ill at the time. this man has left me petrified to go out on my own, I dont answer my door unless i know some one is coming round. Its not only my life that has been disrupted but my partners and my family, I cant even stay at home at night on my own. If this bill gets passed then this wont be the first horror story you will hear, and I can guarantee that blood will be spilled because people will fight back. I had to beg certain people not to get involved because they wanted to 'teach' this bailiff a lesson but I now know that I have the law now on my side, you defend your colleagues all you like, but just remember that mistakes can be made and although I do not wish this to happen to anyone you mark my words it will happen again and again if this bill is passed.

I think that you are not reading my reply correctly i have stated i dont condone or defend any bailiff who do not work to the correct standards .but dont tar all bailiffs the same,or are we to believe all plumbers,electricians,gardeners house buiders ariel fitters are as portraide in the house of horrors show on bbc

I think that you are not reading my reply correctly i have stated i dont condone or defend any bailiff who do not work to the correct standards .but dont tar all bailiffs the same,or are we to believe all plumbers,electricians,gardeners house buiders ariel fitters are as portraide in the house of horrors show on bbc

No not at all, I hope that there are some 'good bailiffs' out there, and if there are then speak up against those who are giving you a bad name.

Woody, we always value input from people actually operating in the profession. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can appreciate, due to the nature of your job I'm afraid that it's possible you will meet with bad reactions from other members at first, especially those who have had particularly bad treatment at the hands of more unscrupulous bailiffs, like seanamarts above.

I'm sure though that when feathers have settled and after a few more posts from yourself, you'll fit right in. Decent law-abiding bailiffs who are able to explain the current system and its workings are very helpful to people in desperate straits on here, and I welcome you. :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

If You Were On Income Base Support The Council Should Have Taken These Accounts Back,and Deducted From Your Benefits Unless You Already Have Attachments On Them,as A Bailiff Myself I Would Be Looking At £5 Per Week As Council Instuctions,i Have Only Just Started Viewing This Site And Amazed At The Lack Of Bailiff Response,did You Not Inform The Council Tax Department You Were On Income Support,bearing In Mind The Housing Department Are 2 Seperate Departments And Often Dont Correspond

• 7 months later...
as a bailiff with over 15 years experience i take exception to your remarks about bailiffs being thugs etc,most bailiffs that i deal with are more than willing to accept arrangements to suit your and the clients needs,saying there is no point in putting a person on arrangements they cant keep,but also has to be in the time scale set down by the client.After all we are working people like yourselves who choose this work rather than be a joiner, electrician etc.i think if you contact the bailiff in a correct manner he will only more than helpful to sort out your problems,if not, he is not doing is work correctly,but remember be awkward and rude to him will not get you the results only get his back up

Ah! The "typical bailiff" rears his head.

Most people say that "most of" their own kind are fine, upstanding members of society.

I've dealt with far too many bailiffs, both due to a few incidents of my own misfortune, and also on behalf of others. Unfortunately, your assertion that "most bailiffs are not thugs" is just not true.

It seems that one of the main functions of a bailiff are to instil fear into the heart of the (alleged) debtor. I'm sure there are some reputable bailiffs around, but I've not met them yet.

In fact, I don't really care if you take exception to comments made about your "profession" (if you can even laughably call it "professional") — too many times THUGS are sent out on near-illegal missions based on erroneous information.

The fault lies just as squarely with the clients who hire these "legal thieves", but unfortunately the problem is far too prevalent for many people not to simply loathe the entire "profession".

Were it just a few bad eggs in the batch, that would be unfortunate but understandable. Unfortunately, it will take a very long time to convince me otherwise.

Perhaps the law does need to be changed, but it seems to me the law can do precious little anyway.

woodywhite may be an honest Joe but both his colleagues at firms such as Equita and the bailiff's representative body have no real concept of lawfulness, fairness or honesty.

I took Equita to Court in 2006 and was successful. They had embarked on a campaign of dishonesty in order to extort money from me. They failed to comply with almost all the industry guidelines for bailiffs and, worse, their paymasters (in this case Westminster City Council) had absolutely no interest in ensuring that they followed said guidelines. I showed how Equita had breached their own contract with them, but WCC were utterly uninterested.

In person the bailiffs lied and threatened and made ridiculous legal assertions. How woodywhite can "take exception" to this is bizarre. I suggest that he gets a WCC parking ticket and fails to pay, and he can see for himself exactly what his colleagues, their industry watchdog and their paymasters actually get up to. While he is waiting perhaps he could also take his head out of the sand and take a long hard look at the "profession" he has chosen.

LA

:wink:

• 6 months later...

Hi, just read a few posts about those cretins at Equita and the handling of council tax debts. I am currently paying off a £380 C Tax debt after having a tricky few months and the council passed the debt to Equita. To cut a long story short the bailiff involved tried to charge £180 for two fictional visits and I've also had every threat letter from them including one today 'recommending that proceedings are commenced for my committal to prison'. These guys only need a GCSE for their job and they reckon they can influence the law!!! Own little world aren't they! How cute.

Anyway, theres a small amount left to pay which is fine but most importantly remember that a council tax debt is limited by law in terms of how much a bailiff can charge. The bailiff will of course attempt to bully and scare you into paying whatever he can think of so don't back down, get the statement of charges and then use this i your complaint against the bailiff in the court where he/she got their certificate. In my case when the bailiff was 'reminded' of this he soon backed down and with the other fairytale stories they've sent I've got enough to complete a Form 4 complaint against him for his attempt to defraud me of money. Hopefully the miserable runt will lose his certificate and given the nonsense I've put up with despite clearing the amount very quickly that's exactly what he deserves.

As for equita I have someone on the inside which is very useful. The stuff they get up to is obscene and the law does what? Nothing. So, if anything is to change and if these morons are ever to act in a professional and legitimate manner we all need to push for change. Its very simple these days to fall behind and the last thing you need to deal with is parasitic companies like this who currently get away with all sorts.

When you think one of the owners of Equita is driving round in a Ferrari paid for with misery is makes you a little angry eh? I might post the registration plate on here in a while. Open season eh? :-D

As the Magistrate Court do NOT provide you wit

h a copy of the Liabiliity Order , the majority of debtors do NOT have any idea how much is actually owed to the council.

It is for this reason that our office now advise that you contact the local authority IMMEDIATELY to confirm the amount of the LO as many companies are sadly applying not only a first and second visit charge.....but with debts over £1,000 they are also applying an "attending to remove/enforcement fee" as well BEFORE the debt has ever been passed to the bailiff !!!

Have you requested a copy of the breakdown of fees and charges?

If you look through simlar threads you will see standard letters put on them by wwow who wentthrough a worse experience and had the time and money to fight them through the courts. You are usually advised to put in a S.A.R and if you feel that you have been treated unprofessionally or had illegal fees levied you can put in a Form 4 complaint to the magistratres or county court that the Bailiff is registered, complaining aout their behavior. Under the Council Tax Legislation the council cannot refuse payment, you can pay them and tell the council that the payment is for councol tax only and that no fees are to be deducted. Finally the council is legally and financially responsible for any overcharging or illegal fees levied or charged. I stand to be corrected as I'm no expert but wwow and tomtubby are.

ihave been receiving hassle from these guys i have had the phone slammed down on me and been cut off as been told speak to the balif we aint listening no more i received aletter telling balifs are coming with a removal van to collect my stuff for aution if it is insuffiant to cover bill i wiill then be committed to prison can this happen what to do

• 1 month later...

This is my first time here; so if I make any mistakes I'm sorry :smile:

I was sent a letter from equita :-x last Jan 2008, so I phoned them about arrangements to pay my outstanding council tax of £905, all I could afford was £50 a month (paid by building society cheque each month, the female at equita told me it has to be two payents of £300 and one of £305. I told her that I could not afford that much as I'm a low earner and on low rate disability, she gave me the phone number of the balliffe dealing with my case.

I phoned him (Kevin) who said that £50 a month is ok and that his office is not in the real world. so each month I paid £50 a month by cheque, I was late by two days just the one month, I wrote to them to explain why and apoligised.

two weeks later I recieved a letter to say that they were comming to visit me with the viewe to remove certain items from my home, we choose to ignore thinking that the letters had crossed.

Three days later RUSSEL from equita turned up at my door saying that he is here to remove my goods if I dont pay £810 (£220 he added on) now.

I told him to wait there so I could phone my wife as I cannot afford to get stressed to too much or I could have another stroke, his reply was;

'Not my problem mate just give me the money or I take your goods'

As I phoned my wife I noticed he had walked into my front room, I told him to get out of my house or I call the Police and several friends of mine. he said he would wait in his van, by the time my wife and friends arrived I was so worked up that they had to get my local Doc out to me. between my friends and my wife we got just enough money together to pay him off that evening by credit card.

This russell never cared once about my health, even when the doctor was talking to me he asked me for a signature from me, neadless to say I didn't sign.

It has been 7 days since then, I'm back at work but we still have not had the final reciept from this dog face russell in his beat up ford escort white van. (As my dear wife said he reminds her of a London gangster (no disrepects to Londoners) who only wanted the extra £210 to gamble on his familey (the dog tracks).

Thats it I've said my piece, thanks ;)

F.edup - I truly sympathise. Equita, like other bailiffs, are pretty unscrupulous when it comes to collecting revenue for those that are supposed to serve us.

There are some rules to follow when dealing with bailiffs, although it sounds like you've got them off your backs.

1. Never ever let them into your house.

2. Sign nothing, especially a Walking Possession.

3. Remember that they cannot force their way into your home.

4. They cannot remove anything unless they have already visited and made a Walking Possession.

5. They must show you a warrant, their certificate and instructions from the council when they visit.

Also, remember that the council are not interested in how the bailiff behaves so there is little point in making a complaint to the council about sharp practices.

All bailiffs make money from visit charges and fees. These are often made up. For example, regulations made state "reasonable costs incurred", but the bailiff's idea of "reasonable" and yours may be quite different.

If you have been charged for a fee that the bailiff has "incurred", then always demand to see an itemised breakdown of that fee. The bailiff has to justify it by law. He will almost always be unable to.

In your case Equita has acted illegally. They cannot visit your home and remove goods without visiting first to make a Walking Possession. The £220 charged is a blagged fee and, as this is Council Tax, then probably comes under "reasonable costs incurred". Write to Equita, demand your money back if they cannot furnish you with details of how they incurred that cost, then sue them when they do not pay you. It can be done online via MCOL and the cost is small. I have successfully done this against Equita.

It might be beneficial to write to the Chief Executive of your local council to complain about sharp practices, but as councils (a) have no sense of responsibility towards those that they serve and (b) this is such a cost-effective way to collect unpaid taxes, it is unlikely that this will achieve anything.

Hope that helps!

LA

icon12.gif

Lord Alcohol- I thank you kindly for your reply and advice.

I have been looking at all the posts on this site, it seems to me that equita is made up of local thugs and criminals that use the law to thier own ends.

It needs somebody like channel 4 to do an undercover investigation programe just to show how this company works just to get money from people that are down on thier luck, I do know that our poll tax should be paid, but most of us cannot afford to pay as much as they want.

thank you again

Lord Alcohol- I thank you kindly for your reply and advice.

I have been looking at all the posts on this site, it seems to me that equita is made up of local thugs and criminals that use the law to thier own ends.

It needs somebody like channel 4 to do an undercover investigation programe just to show how this company works just to get money from people that are down on thier luck, I do know that our poll tax should be paid, but most of us cannot afford to pay as much as they want.

thank you again

THEY are trying to con you. The legal charges are £24.50, if they've come once plus £18 for their second visit. They cannot charge for subsequent visits. or anything else, as you have not signed a Walking Possession Order.

Also, as a sick person, you come under the category of 'vunlerable'. This means the council has, in the jargon, 'a duty of care' towards you and that they shouldn't send the bailiff round as there is a very real risk that it will further undermine your health.

Write to the council, pointing out (a) that the bailiffs have grievously overcharged you and (b) that you are vulnerable. Send the letter by recorded delivery. If you hear nothing after say, seven days, complain to your local councillor.

You should also make all future payments direct to the council. Write to the bailiffs telling them that you are classed as vulnerable and also that, as they have deliberately attempted to overcharge you, you will in future deal only with the council. Quote the legal charges I have mentioned above. Do not sign your letter in the normal way but print your signature in block capitals. If they appear at your property again, refuse to let them in.

sorry you had a bad time if you got the name of the bailiff tell the local court only certifacated bailiffs are allowed to collect council tax arrears and they have to give a bond of £10'000 pounds to the court let the court knoe how you were treated the courts take this kind of behaviur very seriously and if found that he actted wrong you will be copensated out of his bond.

hope you get on the mend soon.

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks