Are you browsing this site and scared to start action?

BBB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thats how i felt at first, was so daunting but have a good read over, the mods and members are more than happy to help you.

Look at my signature! So come on, don't lurk, start the ball rolling :)

• Haha 1

LBA email sent 26/04/2006 - Claiming £1073

Offer of £201 on 13/05/06

Offer refused on 15/05/06

Offer of £692 offered on 15/05/06

Offer refused on 18/05/06

Offer of £850 on 18/05/06

Offer accepted.

Case closed

Taking your bank to court is a daunting prospect. However, if you take the time to read the forums, the FAQs and the library, and familiarise yourself with what is required, you should be able to get your charges refunded...as BBB so rightly says. :)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It feels a lot less daunting once you set the ball rolling as you feel like you've got some control back :)

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

i joined this site months ago,and browse through it everyday,and read up on everything,but i am still terrified to try and reclaim charges back from halifax and cap 1,as i have an authorised overdraft over £800.00 with the halifax,and i owe nearly £2000.00 with crap 1,and i would be in the deepest financial hole,if both decided to close my accounts and make me repay them immediately.i just haven,t been able to work up the courage yet to take them on.

i joined this site months ago,and browse through it everyday,and read up on everything,but i am still terrified to try and reclaim charges back from halifax and cap 1,as i have an authorised overdraft over £800.00 with the halifax,and i owe nearly £2000.00 with crap 1,and i would be in the deepest financial hole,if both decided to close my accounts and make me repay them immediately.i just haven,t been able to work up the courage yet to take them on.

Hi Maggie

I completely understand how you feel, but why don't you send the DPA request and find out how much they have taken from you in charges, you never know they may owe you more than you owe them. You would not be commiting to anything at this stage just gathering information.

Good luck!

thank you colour me happy,i know that the halifax have at least incurred me £350.00 charges over the last 8 months,(BEEN WITH THEM SINCE 1999)and crap 1 £160.00 in the last 12 months(i have been with crap 1 for nearly 4 yrs,and i know it was stupid of me to spend so much ).i am finding it diffucult at the moment ,to even raise the money to send the £10.00 dpa request to both of them,as i am in yet another financial rut at the moment.it seems to be one bill after another everyday.

Guest Lueeze

we are all the same! I checked my account and have £31 to my name...Hey ho!

I think you should claim when you have the funds. You might be surprised!

At least is reduce your debts! Lou xxxx

thank you both for your words of encouragement,and i think once i Do have the funds,i will send off both dpa requests.(hopefully very soon).

Just remember you have nothing to lose just by requesting your information, just take it one step at a time, when I sent my prelim letter requesting a refund I felt ill for days, I just kept thinking "what on earth have I done"! Then I received an offer (pathethic offer) and I felt fine then! :)

ok. will let you both know when i take the plunge.i think i will have a lot of support from you,when i do.thanks again maggie

Maggie, I am £1500 overdrawn with my bank and will issue my moneyclaim in 2 days time. I also owe nearly £4k on one of my CC's and am hitting them for the massive sum of ... £125! The point is it's my money not theirs, if they default me because of my claims (I am up to date with all payments) I will take them to court for that as well.

Don't worry, at least send the DPA, and when you work out how much they have taken of YOUR money (it is your money remember!) i'm sure you will want to go ahead and claim it back.

Keep reading!

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Hiya,

For me, an issue that's given me great confidence is that, in my view (and the view of quite a lot of others i think!) the banks would be very silly to take any action such as cancelling an overdraft etc for a customer who is making a claim against them. The reasoning is that we are reclaiming money which they had no lawful right to take. Any retalitory action would look absolutely terrible in the press, or in short, a PR nightmare. That's one thing the banks definately dont want!

Hiya maggie,

I was like yourself, a bit apprehensive at first but took the plunge and followed the excellent advice from the forum and established members. Started one step at a time, first with my bank and then one of my credit card suppliers.

Got over £2,500 back from the bank before even getting my list of charges and what a feeling that was. I've still got my account with them, and my £500 'fee free' O/draft, plus a loan of £4k and not heard a peep out of them since then.

This gave me encouragement to start County Court procedings against Citi and have just had them write off my outstanding balance of nearly £700. £3,200 not bad for a few phone calls, letters and an £80 court fee. Seeing that's 2 out of 2, have gone for my old mortgage supplier and the other credit card suppliers for me and my wife.

When dealing with these people, get all your info to hand and do not let them bully or scare you off. That's their tactics. Decide how you want any conversation to go and try and keep control of them.

Good luck when you go for it. Though you don't need luck, you got the law on your side. Look at the total reclaimed back of over £300k for the 400 or so members.

sunseeker.

Smile: £2,522 full payment received,

Citi Cards: £693.71 balance written off. Full value of Court claim,

West Brom Building Society: DPA request sent 15.05.06,

Capital 1: £220 claimed LBA sent 15.05.06.

Barclaycard: DPA request sent 16.05.06

After spending a while lurking and assimulating all the info I plucked up the courage to start a claim.

The effect is amazing- Imagine rushing down to check the post in the morning for letters from the bank with expectation rather than trepidation.:D :D . It makes you feel really good.

it is very ,very ,encouraging advice you have all given me,and i have promised myself that i AM going to send the dpa letters a.s.a.p.i will let all you know ,and maybe, with a bit of luck,i will be surprised at the amount of charges they have taken off me,and hopefully i will be re-imbursed ,which will help me on my way to getting back on my financial feet.

thank you all very much.

To be honest, if they try and close my account or take away my student account & replace it with a basic then I have NO qualms about going to the press. I went in to ask for an increase temporarily since my Incapacity Benefit has been stopped (which I'm now appealing!) as the charges had taken all my Income Support for a week.

Needless to say it was referred to their credit services & was refused!

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA email sent 26/04/2006 - Claiming £1073

Offer of £201 on 13/05/06

Offer refused on 15/05/06

Offer of £692 offered on 15/05/06

Offer refused on 18/05/06

Offer of £850 on 18/05/06

Offer accepted.

Case closed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks