First attempt

xentrix
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

After reading the material within these forums I am now attempting the reclaiming of my bank charges from the (sh)Abbey. Have all the documents required and will be sending the letter by recorded delivery so I know they get it and of course shall be patiently waiting the 14 days.

So here goes nowt! lol

Good luck X,......you will find tons of encouragement and support here. No doubt you have opened a parachute account elsewhere.

I will be tackling Shabbey in the next few weeks...concentrating on MBNA first.

I bet all the banks/credits cards dread opening their post!!!! This is great!!!

As long as you have an account elsewhere....Have you tried applying for a basic account? My CR isn't that great but opened a step account with Natwest. Didn't attempt to open a current account. Hoping to upgrade to current account in due time.

I will be reading your thread with interest (no pun intended)!:D to see if Abbey have changed their approach. As mentioned earlier will be starting on Abbey soon, thought it best to tackle a 'soft target' first....MBNA to be precise. Balance is zero and therefore account closed.

I am soooo forgetful and the missus didn't help matters lol. She forgot to send the letter the day on my first post so I did it today and the counting of the days begins tomorrow as I sent it via recorded delivery.

I must admit I think there was a shred of not wanting to send it being that I'm concerned about the outcome. I had read somewhere on the forum that IF the case went to court I would have to battle it out with the bank's solicitors and that would put me in an awkward position.

As many know they are very literate folk and I'm only good with some words we don't use every day lol. Still I'll keep this post alerted to any correspondence I receive on this merry - go - round bank claim.

dont worry xentrix.... u wont be doing battle as such with a soclicitor in court... u will be extremley unlucky to attend court... it does not get that far.. if it did what i can see they pay up in court or outside and majority of the time thejudgs seem sympethetic to us.... i was like that once... my luck is that there can be a 100% success rate but i will still lose.. but no where on here have i found losers..sorry i have..THE BANKS... lots of people r here to help.. and all the info is here from letters and spreadsheet... i used all the letters from here for my first few request but today i was so confident i wrote out and used my own letter to the bank and i could not stop...my confidence is high now... my biggest leap of faith was puting the claim in... the letters asking for refunds were not a problem but when u see ur name vs abbey in letters on headed paper u know u r in for the long run... well good luck and dont worry.... power to the people....;)

I hear what you are saying!!! I take comfort that banks/credit cards are for now, appear to be paying up as they are not prepared to disclose exactly what their bank charges are! We all now know that the hefty charges they apply are for sheer profit and no way relate to the 'real' charge!

I myself don't fancy battling it out with any solicitor....but on the otherhand it doesn't appear that any banks want to explain their charges to a judge. Just look at the number of cases that people like you and me have won. They would much rather settle.

Thanks for the support folks it will help me get through the procedures ( if any ) that arise in this case. I am hoping that for some folk the money gets put straight into my account and I wouldn't have to concern myself with the court.

I shall wait and see whats next and possibly get a letter within 14 days or some communication or retribution on my account .....

Well today I got my response from the (sh)abbey and its a letter stating that they are sorry for my complaint blah blah. So I guess after reading some more posts in the (sh)abbey section it appears I may have to wait eon's for these idiots to sort this claim out.

In the meantime my sister had written to her bank Woolwich (Barclays) and asked for her charges back, this was £1,135 but they gave her a GOGW of £675 I did tell her to either reject this to go for the full amount or put this sum as as part payment until the court case. She has declined the idea of court and accepted the GOGW.

I shan't be going in this same avenue I'm gonna go for the full amount. I shall wait until the 14 days are up then proceed to the next step .... the LBA.

I've pre written the LBA omitting the interest until I put this to the court as explained in the procedures on the website. I hope this is correct as I have also omitted the DPA because I haven't had a relevance or written correspondence from the bank about any defaults on my account. Just hope I'm doing this right

Do I add the 8% interest on the LBA or when I put this through the courts ?? :eek::confused:

I sent the LBA yesterday and shall be awaiting another 14 days for a response. If the claim does go to court it appears I only need to pay £50 after checking how much I have to pay for this claim seeing as my claim is only £479.

• 2 weeks later...

Crap almost 2 days to go and then I file the N1 because I've had no response to my LBA. Thing is I may have screwed up on the LBA I put in the charges obviously but omitted the interest off the list as I dont have an overdraft facility on this type of account.

I shall be applying the interest alongside the LBA of course with the main capital I'm asking for which would raise it to £607 approx ( haven't done the sums yet).

I just hope I'm doing this right I have read the topics I need but some of it gets too much and turns my brain to mush lol.

• 1 month later...

Ok its been a while since I've gone through all the motions and I digress probably didn't follow certain criteria spelt out on this website, probably because I couldn't afford the court cost's at that time.

Anyway I wrote another letter to shabbey detailing that if I dont get a satisfactory reply or my money back I'll go to court, well I got a letter this morning and apparently they are " happy to refund " me £70 ..... F@@@ sorry for the language but I think its a p@@@ take, especially its supposed to be £479.

What is worrying me is this line of text ....

" I appreciate your feelings on this matter but we are satisfied that the charges do not contravene the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999. We also comply with the Office of Fair Trading,in dealing fairly and openly with our customers"

... is this true :eek:. They also state about the charges being of extra administrative work... but I do see the same thing that the courts want to know is about how they charge their customers,they regret they can't show or detail their charges, lol.

Well I don't know what to do now, next week I'll have the money to take them to court, but I heard from someone that after the 1st of April folk cant argue the toss about the charges fiasco...

I have been utterly depressed with this problem I do hope I can pursue this without any obstacles.

Thanks for the help CAG I will donate soon.

Xen

Crap nearly forgot I had the £70 already in my bank a day before the letter.... :(

Hi,

charges do not contravene the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999.
Oh yes they do. Oh no they don't. OH YES THEY B****Y W**L* DO !

I heard from someone that after the 1st of April folk cant argue the toss about the charges fiasco...
What date was that ?! Codswallop.

Here's the deal. Ignore what Abbey or any of your friends say. If you want your money back, just file an N1 claim and effectively wait. Thousands have been down this road. Put in the N1 Particulars Of Claim (POC) from here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html You need to attach a spreadsheet showing the charges and interest you are claiming. I assume you are going to claim 8% Statutory Interest. Have you got that ready ? Regards, Mad Nick

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

I'm all ready just need to deduct the £70 GOGW and of course having the money to pay the courts , that will be next week. And yes I am claiming the interest @ 8%. Just hope they settle out of court and not with me in court :o

I'm all ready just need to deduct the £70 GOGW and of course having the money to pay the courts , that will be next week. And yes I am claiming the interest @ 8%. Just hope they settle out of court and not with me in court :o

And my schedule ....

UNPAID DD CHARGE £30.00 01/03/2002 1764 £11.64 UNPAID DD CHARGE £30.65 01/03/2002 1884 £12.70 UNPAID DD CHARGE £30.00 29/05/2002 1795 £11.85 UNPAID DD CHARGE £30.01 29/05/2002 1795 £11.85 UNPAID DD CHARGE £30.18 30/06/2002 1763 £11.71 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 29/12/2002 1581 £11.13 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.10 29/01/2003 1550 £10.95 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 02/03/2003 1518 £10.69 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 02/03/2003 1518 £10.69 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 02/03/2003 1518 £10.69 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 29/04/2003 1460 £10.28 UNPAID DD CHARGE £32.00 29/04/2003 1460 £10.28 UNPAID DD CHARGE £35.00 29/04/2006 364 £2.80 UNPAID DD CHARGE £35.00 29/05/2006 334 £2.57 UNPAID DD CHARGE £35.00 29/12/2006 120 £0.92

£140.74

£479.94

£620.68

Sorry if its alot I hope I've done this correctly

For some reason I can't copy the POC to this post ?? :-|

Hi xentrix

I was just wondering, have you used the spreadsheet form the templates library for your schedule?

Have a look here,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

the simple one works out the 8% on a daily basis you just put in your charges, dates and details and the spreadsheet works out the interest and works out the total for you!

Please forgive my interference if you've already done this! The schedule you've posted looks different to this!

Hi Knelly yes basically I did this on the quick and it looks a right mess here's a better version and also the POC I want CAG to view to see if it looks correct ...

This is the Excel of charges listing ...

bankcharges.png

The POC is in 2 parts ...

Part a,

bankchargesa.png

Part b,

bankchargesb.png

I hope I'm doing this right ...

My apologies, I thought you'd listed charges as in the post and then you'd added 8% to total (Maths isn't my strong point but I think it'd be wrong if you did that!)

Very professional looking 2nd attempt.

Also, you need to fill in the box on the bottom left of page 1 of the N1 - I hadn't and arrived at court, handed it in, paid the money and the man said, 'You haven't put what you're claiming' and so I said where? he showed me and I wrote it in on each copy! Oh, and I hadn't signed it either so he told me to do that too! Good job I took it in myself and there was help on hand is all I can say!

Oops I meant bottom right hand side of N1! You do need to fill in the left one too!

I showed my GOGW as minus amounts (ie -£35.00, -£20.00 etc.. plus detail and date at the end of my spreadsheet, but before the total (whatever the amounts, dates and reasons were on the statement) then the spreadsheet adjusted the total and the 8% interest. I made my N1 out for the amount less the GOGW but showed on the spreadsheet that they'd taken it and given it back.

Hope this makes sense!

Hi KnellyK thanks for the info thus far I have changed details on the POC and the schedule I hope this is it I had printed off the POC already lol , this is getting to be a pain in the butt hehe .... But keeping with it....

Changed schedule ... ( Excel )

excelbankcharges.png

And the changed POC ...

bankchargesc.png

bankchargesd.png

In the last one I iterated about the gesture of goodwill payments. I changed the money detail accordingly.

I'm not sure if you need to refer to the GOGW in your POC at all although it might not harm anything if you do though. I found the thread that I'd been reading before I did my N1 it's this one by mazamarie

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/76038-mazamarie-abbey-3.html?highlight=show+minus at post #45 she has a similar question about GOGW payments and Karnevil has posted a reply (#46).