• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me Vs HSBC ###won!###

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SAR sent Friday 23/02/2007.

Off the top of my head I think I only have one charge but I really don't like HSBC they didn't half muck me around when I split with my ex.

And who knows there may be more I've forgotten about. Will keep you posted.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 2 months later...

Went today :p

To be fair I've been giving priority to my Bro's claim against Natwest which is now over 3k. I find it a little irritating that HSBC have STILL not replied even though a month has passed. Oh now that somebody is actually here I must aska quick question.

The account I am claiming on used to be joint - am I going to come a cropper?

Some people reckon both parties need to sign but in my favour my ex did sign a letter last year saying anything to do with the joint account is mine (in better langauge than that!).

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

The account was at all times either to sign and only has my name on it now. I can't see them being difficult as, they handled the whole situation so badly when me an ex split, that they paid me £150 compensation. Who knows what might's happened if I had pursued the amtter further.

HSBC haven't replied to anything save the SAR. I've also discovered two charges on the credit card I didn't know about so they'll be hearing from me again. I'm starting to enjoy this...

I've just had a great idea, I recall somebody saying they had Nationwide insurance and their legal protection paid to take Nationwide to court - I have that insurance!

Going to ring up now to see if they will do this for me, one less thing for me to worry about and as it is only £300 ish I'm not too bothered about the interest.

Somebody is ringing me back, I can get some free legal advice (why didn't I think of that sooner?) and I might be covered. If I was this would be the coolest thing ever...

I have Legal Assistance cover, ie if someone sued me they would pay for representation. I'm just fortunate that I noticed the section saying that contract disputes were covered :) Would never have occured to me if it wasn't for me coming across a message on CAG where someone else had done the same...

The phone call was short, in her opinion the law is very much on the side of the consumer. I just have to e-mail them with a chronolgy and they will initiate the claim. All it means is that, if it gets to court, that box marked solicitor's fees will have an entry in. I like that it costs HSBC more money and take a little satisfaction from thinking I might've been able to say you will be hearing from my solicitors :)

Am I the only person who thinks this is class??? I know I'm taking a shortcut but hey what is the point of having insurance if you don't actually use it...

I just wish I could copy the person who used Natiowndie's insurance to sue Nationwide, classic!

Fair enough, I'm just being lazy and they can't really mess it up because I've already done the Prelim and LBA, I just can't be bothered with court at the mo as my bro's case is rather more pressing.

You're idea sounds brill. I am doing a claim on my brothers behalf and he has legal assisstance on his account. I will give them a call on Tuesday and see if it covers him. His bank is Lloyds, so any help would be an advantage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Check the policy, see if contract disputes are covered.

See what you are limited to in terms of the claim, who u can use (solicitor wise), and what happens if u and they disagree about when to settle.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to use the company, got back from holiday on the 10th and there was a lovely letter dated the 23rd. Actually I might put it in that thread which mocks the banks, the gist of it was we're allowed to make these charges. Mentions service charge guff, however we are mindful of the senior management time, and legal fees in defending such a claim. For this reason only we're paying out the full amount even though we believe we would succesffuly resist your challenge in court (YEAH RIGHT!).

Anyway this is my first victory (with no mention of confidentiality) so I have £326 of my money coming bakc, and the £26 is going to CAG. One finaly point though they did slip on a sentence saying if they didn't get a reply in ten working days they would assume I had declined thier offer.

Still trying to bully to the end, when it just makes them look stupid and frankly rude since it was only the fact I was busy with my bro's claim that stopped me having filed for court already.

Anyway who cares I've won and there will be hell to pay if the money isn't in my account in the agreed timescale.

Well yes its a shame but who cares! lol

I think it would as I first used the legal advice line which is included and the solicitor said the law is very much in favour of the consumer. She did not soound like there was much chance of losing!

But IMO if you're using insurance what have you got to lose? I mean if lay people can beat the banks a qualified professional could really hammer them. Although I accept there could be an issue around what they think is an acceptable offer by the bank.

Thanks for the congrats, I'll be showing my friend the SAR over the weekend :)

For a second there I thought I would have to congratulate myself but, what the hey, I'm going to do it anyway.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!

Awww shucks it was nothing...

Just Natwest to take, then smaller debts then my bro is back on track (with a warning!!!).

I like beating the big boys :)