• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

hsbc v sbennett ***WON***

darkrage
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for questions relating to my claim will be updated often probably.

question 1: i will be moving house in just over a month would i need to send hsbc my forwarding address with the prelim letter? as i am not sending this until after i have moved and opened my parachute account.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi darkrage,

I just wanted to say good luck too. I am about to send my prelim letter along with statements. What is a parachute account?

babyashxoxox

a parachute account is an account with another bank just incase hsbc do some dirty tricks like closing your accounts down or demanding full repayment of overdrafts etc

i have set up another account and am in process of porting all direct debits wages standing orders etc across to my new account.

basically im sticking two fingers up at hsbc as they would not help me when i needed it and have left me to struggle until my house move - which is paying all my debt off with the profits and hsbc was told this so tbh hsbc suck only interested in themselves.

i am claiming on 1 open account and 1 that was closed 2 yrs ago i just checked all my statements for the open account and thay owe me £1167.00 in 2 yrs so my other closed account should be a higher amount due to having 4 yrs of charges so im guessing they owe me about £3000:eek:

good luck with your claim

fingers crossed on mine.:D

Many thanks for that darkrage, I am just asking my daughters to pay bills for me at the moment as not yet opened another account. Applied to first direct but then I think I found out they were part of HSBC.

I hope the move has gone well and that you and your family will be very happy.Good luck with your claims too.

babyashxoxox

Try the Natwest Step account Babyash.. It seems quite easy to open..

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi sbennett i am in process of claiming at the moment, just sent my LBA after it took them 14 days to say they were investigating my prelim charges letter. Havent recieved anything back yet though but i have noticed that i did not add the overdraft interest to my charges(not the 8% interest) as i was not 100% sure about all this, i have a parachute account all lined up but do u think it might be worth redoing my LBA or PRELIM and adjust the amounts or just leave it as it is? Im claiming £835 in charges followed by £50.02 in the interest(8% that is). With HSBC. Account been open for nearly 3 years.

Hi Driftking

You should claim the 8% at the court stage. You add 8% to each charge on the spreadsheet. Unless you are claiming Contractual interest, you then do that from the start. There are some links below to help you get around.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

what he said

i have opened an alliance and leceister account due to there being no banking charge for having the account and being high interest due to my new found 0 debt when i move. It was very easy to open and i was accepted immediatly.

I have been lucky enough to be able to pay all my debts each month without missing any payments so i have a very good credit score. when i did need a little help hsbc didnt want to know all they said is i could have a loan to pay my od off - wth more credit, i declined and borrowed the money needed off family - i am still struggling by but i have light at the end of the tunnel in the form of my equity in my home. i feel sorry for all those who are not as fortunate as me and dont have a lifeline and get stuck in the rut with no way out and the banks wont help except by giving more credit to pay credit and carry on charging ridiculus fee's.

march 07 just payed £100 (renamed from total bank charges to) notified fees/charges - any one know why they have reworded this is it so the can claim its a mix of fee's and charges so it helps them when explaining in court?

anyway that is sort of my story just thought id share it .:D

update for you guys - all my 3 accounts statements turned up today.

the grand total for my claim is

£2017.5 (without 8% interest)

£2390.41 (with 8% interest)

i used the simplified spreadsheet to calculate interest for all 3 accounts seperatly then added together - was this correct.

also i created copies of each spreadsheet 1 with interest for court and 1 without (but with a note on it saying 8% interest will be added for small claims court).

now i just need to print them and send them to hsbc.

any comments welcomed i will post a copy of the prelim letter (minus any bank acc numbers - not that i dont trust you guys) for an admin or such to proof read if they could.

this site is ace

ps ive noticed on ebay people selling the info you give freely so thx again.

:D

steve

Hi darkrage,

just wanted to say good luck to you again, it is a lot of work and am leaving mine for the moment but am watching all what is going on especially your case as you are just ahead of me.

So much going on here it is hard to keep track of all but you and firemagi are going at about the same pace and they have written some very good letters and said they don't mind people copying them so you may want to take a quick look.

babyashxoxox

hi need some help please - when using the simplified spreadsheet template it calculates days since offence and interest @ 8%.

my question is this how do i calculate overdraft interest to include with my prelim letter? do i have to use the complicated spreadsheet template?

also on the prelim letter which address do i put for the bank - is it my local branch or the head office in london?

Good morning darkrage,

hope you had a good weekend even though it isn't ober yet.

I think you send the spreadsheets with with LBA but I could be wrong, prob knowing me I am so better not confuse you and wait for someone else to help! hahahaha

adding on the o/d interest is not for the fainthearted so i'll give you a link to peruse so you get the gist. as for the prelim, you can send it to either your branch, leeds (where it eventually ends up) or head office, which is the address you will use if it goes to court.

Overdraft interest

This is the single most confusing part of most peoples claim, and one of the most frequently asked questions

overdraft interest is applied to your whole overdraft, however if some of your overdraft is made up from (unlawfull) charges,

then a proportion of the interest has been wrongly applied and is therefore reclaimable

Example

you have a £400 overdraft, you purchase something that day for £200 so now you are -£200 on your current account balance, but on the same day £200 of charges are placed on your account, which means that your current account balance is now -£400 and the bank will charge interest on the whole £400, but as we are contesting that these charges are unlawfull, then the interest should not be placed on the whole amount, only on the amount that you have actually spent,

therefore in this example you can claim back 50% of the interest, however these calculations have to be done daily to truly reflect the amount which can be reclaimed,

Dont worry, Vampiress has made a spreadsheet that will calculate this for you, you can find it here, but please read the instructions that come with it;

if you understand that reasoning - then carry on.

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds LS11 0PP

HSBC Plc

8 Canada Square

London

E14 5HQ

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

hi -yes you do send the spread sheet printed out with the prelim letter but my account overdrafts were changed so often i dont think im going to be able to work out the interest excess charged over and above the normal interest.

so i think i will just send out my charges.

thx again.:grin:

so considering i cant work out my od interest due to not knowing my od limits over the last six years i will just claim for the £2500 charges.

also considering i am dealing with my local branch through the subject acess request would you send the prelim to them or send it to leeds?

i feel i should send to branch this will give them less time to respond due to postage requirements from branch to leeds (is this naughty of me).

i would alos in the prelim letter like to draw their attention to a specific case in which these charges have been levied and payed back in full so they know im serious about going to court and get a full refund before court action . does anyone have a court case reference i can stick in for good measure.

"My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my accounts over the last six years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary. I would also like to take this oppertunity to draw your attention the case of ******** vs ******** in which full repyment of charges with interest were given due to the above reasons."

would it be a good idea to include that last passage?

any comments or pointers would be gratefully recieved:grin:

ok here is my prelim letter items in red i have edited

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my accounts over the last six years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £2,017.50.

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive full payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. Furthermore at this stage I will include the 8% interest allowed to me in a small claims court of law.