• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

help - can they make me repay o/draft with refund

sjude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You seem to insist over and over again that this overdraft has to be paid back immediately.

I a not insisting anything just explaining to you that the bank has the right to offset against your debt and thats that they do.

I am sure that many of us live in out overdrafts, not ideal but thats how it is.......why should I be forced to pay back my overdraft with the charges refund? I do have an agreement with the bank which allows me to use that OD amount. And they can rescind it when they want.

Really, that fact that these charges are applied when I am in my OD is irrelevant. It's simply a starting point, whether my account is £100 in credit or £100 in debt the fact is that when an unlawful charge is debited from the account the bank is denying me access to funds I am legally entitled to. END OF! but only until they decide otherwise.

Take the example that was given to me.......If my account has an agreed OD limit of £100 and I start with a nil balance. I need to spend £100 on some new tyres for my car and cannot wait till payday so I use my OD.

Now my balance is -£100, still within my agreed OD limit.

I forget that I have paid for some milk with my debit card and when the payment clears it takes me over my OD limt, new balance is -£101.00.

Now, Mr. RBS rewards himself for lending me an extra £1 and charges me £29.00.

Balance is now -£130.00.

Payday comes round and I am paid £200.

Balance is now £70

but wait, I am down £30..........£29 of which is in Mr RBS's pocket......

Now you are suggesting that when Mr County Court Judge tells Mr RBS to give me my money back he should actually just reduce my OD by £29 making the facility £71. No that isn't what i said, if they refunded the money to your account it would adjust you balance to where it should have been. you seem to be saying they should leave the charge on the OD and give you cash.

I just don't understand................unless you are Mr RBS???? thats really likley, ive spent a little bit of time on here, built up my rep so i can fool all the RBOS claimants inot accepting a cheque! I even started one or two claims myslef just to enhance my rep too.

Just because you dont like the message doesnt mean its wrong.

The factis that as far as i can tell all of the banks will try to pay the moeny into the account if they can.

If the account is in excess od or is closed with a debt against it they wont pay any other way as far as i know.

If you have an Auth Od i have seen them pay it into the acc and reduce the OD limit at the same time.

Seems to me we could argue all day, if you can find a lawful reason why you can insist on cash or cheque when you owe the bank money via an od then please post it.

Lifes a bitch but thats how it is im afraid

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

You know what, we are going to have to agree to disagree........

Personally I would not settle for the bank offsetting the payment against my debt. I would contest it as far as possible.

I think its important to highlight every possible outcome but you seem to be very negative. I have never understood the "thats just the way it is" attitude.......Its only that way cause people don't contest it! I am sure you will have the last word on this thread though.....so take it away.

"If you owe the bank 100 pounds, you're the one with the problem. But if you owe a million pounds, the bank's the one with the problem."

Lord John Maynard First Baron Keynes of Tilton.

"If you owe the bank $100, that's your problem; if you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem".

John Paul Getty

Hi i am a newbie. Regards to overdrafts/morgages.I have an overdraft and a morgage with The Bank of Scotland. If they decided to close my account how would i stand in regard to the morgage?.Would it immediatly become repayable even though it still has 14 years to run. HELP this worries me sick.:?

meatfeet

I dont think they would touch your mortgage only a bank account.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Ive heard of that but was under the impression it was specifically for use where the claimant was on benefits or similar.

Would it apply generally or is it restricted to certain circumstances ?

Glenn

Edit found this

Bank Charges

Large charges are possible where direct debit payments are missed, and these will have a big effect on people on a low income. Clients have a ‘right of appropriation’ over funds paid into an account - ie they can tell the bank in advance what money is to be used for, and prevent the bank taking large amounts to cover charges. This must be done in writing before the money goes into the account, and banks are sometimes ignorant of this right, so there may be help needed with complaints where this is refused. Clients may also need to get new accounts in some cases to get control of their income.

Doest quite say what we want ie that we can tell banks how we want the payments though, if others have a link that proves otherwise it would be good.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glen

Right of appropriation in a settlement is as simple as it says. What you gave above is an example of where it can be used. In any settlement you have a right to invoke this right so that the resultant settlement payouts are not used to settle other debts. It is advisable though to state this requirement with the 1st and subsequent letters. This automatically stop banks from using the settlement to cover od or other debts. Hope you find this useful

Are you able to say where this right comes from, since the examples i have found imply that this right is to protect money to live on or similar rather than a tool to allow us to take the money rather than settle debt.

i had a quick search on here and dint find much of substance, theres a template in the library which is where the implication about what you exert this right to do other than that i havent found anything about it of significance, although it does confirm its not just benefits though.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Sounds interesting......any links init??

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

init

I have done a little diggin but cannot find a link to where this comes from or how it can be applied lawfully.

My gut feeling is that the intent of this is to protect those with financial difficulties from having all their oeny removed to settle debts and leaving them without sufficent money to pay essential bills. This is borne out by my research but in truth i havent found anyhting which i could call definitive.

THe advice i have given previousely has been based on experience and not much more. It wold be good to be able to tell people that actually they have a right and this is how it works.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

HI peeople, im new to the site but thought i might help. There is something called 'right of appropriation in settlements' that is you can ask the banks to pay you directly into another account or a cheque that you can deposit into any account

Hi, i've been following this thread with great interest and was wondering if there were any developments on the Right of Appropriation of Settlement?

I wish to invoke this right if possible, we had an agreed O/D limit of £3600 which, by the time the RBS had applied all the charges, then passed the a/c to their debt management dept was almost £3k over its limit. We are not disputing the fact that the amount by which we had exceed our O/D needs to be repayed immediately upon settlement, however, we had agreed to reduce the O/D by a mthly payment plan.

When we discovered that we may be able to claim back charges, we placed the account in dispute in our prelim letter. We are due to file tomorrow, but indecision on C.I is causing a delay. We have not mentioned the Right of Appropriation of Settlement at all yet as I only stumbled across this thread the other day, (is it possible to mention it in our POC?) we have however stated in all our correspondence to the bank that we require payment of settlement to be in the form of a cheque payable into any UK a/c so that we may settle our more serious debts first while recommencing our payment plan with the bank. They have chosen to ignore this all along, infact they offered to settle for almost the full amount of charges (no interest tho) which we rejected for a number of reasons, one of them being that they were going to pay into our account where the money would have been swallowed by a previously agreed O/D, which I felt certain they would call in, also, the account of which I speak is closed anyway! This is one of the things we are prepared to argue over in court if it's appropriate?

Any help/advice much appreciated, thanks:-D

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

why should I be forced to pay back my overdraft with the charges refund? I do have an agreement with the bank which allows me to use that OD amount.

Really, that fact that these charges are applied when I am in my OD is irrelevant. It's simply a starting point, whether my account is £100 in credit or £100 in debt the fact is that when an unlawful charge is debited from the account the bank is denying me access to funds I am legally entitled to. END OF!

But who said that? When they put funds in your account, they very seldom cancel your o/d at the same time. Therefore, all that is happening is that either you were wildly over your limit, and the repayment will put you back within your limit, in which case, you have no grounds to complain whatsoever. Or you were within your limit, and the refund will just lower the debt to the bank, and if you so wish, you can draw it all out again. What's the big deal?

There seems to be an assumption that once they refund the money, the o/draft will get called in. In my experience on and off-forum, that is not so. The bank, let's not forget, is only too happy to keep you in hock for as long as they can. That is, after all, how they make money, someone permanently in small credit or barely using their o/d is not very profitable.

My advice would always be, with the one exception of closed accounts, to just accept whatever is going to resolve the matter quickest and simplest for you. If you want to keep your o/d at full throttle, go and withdraw the lot the moment it comes in.

Nice one Mr moderator. Whats yr advice to the ones with closed accounts? Snoops mum is trying to misuse the right of appropriation and i dont foresse a court rulling in her favour. As i said earlier its purposes is not for avoidance of debt but to help people to benefit from settlements. In this case I foresee the bank making a counter claim and winning it

Surely there's only one way a bank can pay you if you have a closed account and that's by cheque? What advice is needed here? Am I missing something? :?

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Nice one Mr moderator. Whats yr advice to the ones with closed accounts? Snoops mum is trying to misuse the right of appropriation and i dont foresse a court rulling in her favour. As i said earlier its purposes is not for avoidance of debt but to help people to benefit from settlements. In this case I foresee the bank making a counter claim and winning it

It's MRS Moderator, actually. :-D

Closed accounts, you can and should request payment by cheque. The only thing I would stress is that people make it clear from Prelim onwards that payment will have to be by cheque as the account is closed, so as to avoid any, ahem, confusion at settlement stage.

I don't know enough about rights of appropriation to comment adequately, so I won't. My gut feeling is that right of appropriation wouldn't work here IN COURT, as I don't think that this would be within court's remit of a simple monetary claim, however,I would have thought OP could fire a letter ASAP to the bank to earmark the money, so that even when they settle by paying into account, they won't be able to use to pay themselves first. But that's really just an impression based on logic, I don't have anything to back it up with.

Ahem! I am not trying to misuse the right of appropriation or anything else for that matter. I dont' know the ins and outs of the issue and was merely trying to get some clarification on it before trying to USE it or spouting off about it, thank-you very much! I'll go and pick my rattle up now, LOL:p

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Surely there's only one way a bank can pay you if you have a closed account and that's by cheque? What advice is needed here? Am I missing something? :?

Hi T4FF!

I was confused because the account was closed while the debt was passed to credit management and i'm sure i've read somewhere that when you raise the issue of a claim against the bank, they (CM) pass the account back to the bank. Also, we have a couple of other accounts with the bank and I thought they might put the settlement into one of those and then not allow us access to it until we agree to clear the O/D with it. The other accounts are holding accounts and a savings account of hubby's. None have cheque/switch facilities, therefore no atm card.

Sorry if i've gone off subject of thread a little! SM

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

Right, my definition of a closed account doesn't include those passed to CMs. Will bear that in mind in future.

I agree with the above, a postal order crossed & made payable only to bank, retain a receipt for it & send it by Recorded or Special delivery which you can track & trace online. Both must be signed for but recorded is cheaper. Even if you had a cheque book, the bank may decide not to cash it for a few weeks or find a way to bounce it(!), delaying your claim. Depending on who you bank with you may see a fee for historic statements on your a/c even though you've sent payment! RBS do this:-x

Very useful A-Z here:

Scottish procedure:

re the fee and the recipient delaying processing the SAr by not cashing the cheque.

the DPA Sect 7 says

A data controller is not obliged to supply any information under subsection (1) unless he has received-

(a) a request in writing, and

(b) except in prescribed cases, such fee (not exceeding the prescribed maximum) as he may require.

I suppose the fee cannot have been recieved if the method of payment bounces. However, there is nor provison for them to hold onto the fee while they deicde whether to cash it or not. since it is a criinal offence to present a cheque knowing its going to bounce the premise must be by the recipient that the cheque has been supplied in good faith and therefore the fee would be deemed received.

So in other words if you sned the fee in a rreasonable form then once they receive it then along with the written request then the clock starts ticking for complaince. if the fee bounces in the mean time then they have every right to refuse to comply on that basis.

JMHO

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA