• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tobes v Egg

Tobes
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok so I will be answering that with 'the Claimant would have been more than happy to pay the true costs, rather than unlawful penalty charges, and after receiving a true account of costs would amend this claim to reflect the difference between the two figures' or something like that...

Now I just need to defend against the second counterclaim point, which is asking for the full amount I owe on the card, including the penalty fees...So should I say that 'the Defendant accepts that there is owed a balance and is more than willing to make payments with a view to clearing that balance without the need for a court claim, but the figure quoted includes unlawful penalty charges and is vigorously disputed' or should I just say that 'the figure includes unlawful penalty fees and is vigorously disputed'...Basically, should I just deny the amount because it's wrong, or would I be expected to accept the proper debt...which of course could lead to a CCJ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really appreciate you help!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so I will be answering that with 'the Claimant would have been more than happy to pay the true costs, rather than unlawful penalty charges, and after receiving a true account of costs would amend this claim to reflect the difference between the two figures' or something like that...

Now I just need to defend against the second counterclaim point, which is asking for the full amount I owe on the card, including the penalty fees...So should I say that 'the Defendant accepts that there is owed a balance and is more than willing to make payments with a view to clearing that balance without the need for a court claim, but the figure quoted includes unlawful penalty charges and is vigorously disputed' or should I just say that 'the figure includes unlawful penalty fees and is vigorously disputed'...Basically, should I just deny the amount because it's wrong, or would I be expected to accept the proper debt...which of course could lead to a CCJ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I really appreciate you help!

The first part seems fine.

On the second part - have you actually defaulted on payments. If not, then on what basis are they demanding repayment?

With my Bristol & West claim I have claimed for the full amount of charges levied, and have asked in my POC that the balance of the account on a specified date be off-set against the judgement amount - and that any charges or interest after that date be cancelled.

If your claim includes all the unlawful charges, then it would seem to be correct that the balance they quoted at the date of claim should be the off-set figure. Again, providing that they can legally demand full settlement.

They have defaulted me and so they are demanding the full figure, about £1440.00 This includes the penalty charges of about £600.00

Basically it became difficult because of all their charges and in the end I just gave up.

So should I actually admit to part of their counterclaim, or because they are requesting the full £1440 just dispute it all, do you think? It's just that whatever happens, they are claiming for a defaulted amount so I am now slightly worried that this will result in a CCJ, even for the remaining £800.00

They have defaulted me and so they are demanding the full figure, about £1440.00 This includes the penalty charges of about £600.00

Basically it became difficult because of all their charges and in the end I just gave up.

So should I actually admit to part of their counterclaim, or because they are requesting the full £1440 just dispute it all, do you think? It's just that whatever happens, they are claiming for a defaulted amount so I am now slightly worried that this will result in a CCJ, even for the remaining £800.00

You are certainly in a tricky situation, and I do not want to give you incorrect advice. Unfortunately it would seem that a number of people are away from the forum today. I will alert someone with a bit more legal experience to have a look at this - but it may not be until tomorrow.

you should check this, but as far as I'm aware their counter claim will be heard after you main claim. This suggests that in order to get you for the balance of the account they'll first have to go through with a full court case to determine their charges.

I would be prepared to bet money that this will end with them deducting the amount of the charges plus interest from what you owe them ,and accepting some sort of repayment schedule from you to clear it.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

And, though I'm perfectly willing to go through with it all and attend court, do you think this WILL get to court - after all, most other cases seem to be settled out of court?

And, though I'm perfectly willing to go through with it all and attend court, do you think this WILL get to court - after all, most other cases seem to be settled out of court?
I doubt it. nothing's changed in terms of their ability to justify their charges, so there's no reason to believe they're going to go through with it. The counterclaim is probably for fright value to try to get you to bottle out.
  • Confused 1

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

ok update: I filed a defence to counterclaim (not sure if I was meant to make any comment on their actual defence!?) and send off the allocation questionnaire...Phoned the court and we're all now waiting for the judge's comments! I suppose he could laugh me out of court but what the hell!!

hehe received a letter from Egg this morning nearly identical to Yasmin's, and this is my reply:

'I am in receipt of your letter dated xxth July, 2006. I hereby reject your settlement offer. I am in fact welcoming the chance of a court room because I disagree with your analysis and confidently believe that my case has merit.

I must say that I find your letter to be laughable. It appears to be nearly identical to others you have sent to people making claims against you. You, sir, are most unoriginal. This letter has given me confidence that your defence of Egg is merely a show. I gladly look forward to a court room now that you have rejected my offer of settlement and I have rejected yours.

I am unconcerned by your counterclaim. If the court were to order me to pay the full amount you claim or the difference between the penalty charges and said amount I would immediately submit evidence of my unemployed status and an offer of about £2.50 per month which is what I could just about afford. I am not concerned by having a CCJ against my name, so kindly tick that off your list of intimidation tactics. Can you say the same on Egg's behalf?

I am perfectly aware of what I am obliged to do by way of proving my case. I need to prove on the balance of probability. This is not a criminal case. On that basis I am very confident.

If you are so confident that you are being true and honest in stating that Egg makes NO profit from these charges, that they merely cover costs, please provide me a true and proper breakdown of Egg's costs and I will immediately end this claim. My prescience allows me, however, to know your answer to my reasonable request. So I will see you in court.'

Interesting stuff. How do i keep track of dates, for you people.

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

Any response yet Tobes?? Post when you have....

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

• 2 weeks later...

ok apparently after phoning the court for 50th time I have a court date in September!

I also sent another response to the counterclaim after advice from Bankfodder in order to put some pressure on them, the idea being that they've stupidly asked for the true costs to be assessed by the court so I've welcomed that with open arms :D

REPLY TO COUNTERCLAIM

The claimant repeats and confirms the particulars of claim.

Paragraph 7 of the defendant’s defence and counterclaim is admitted. The Claimant agrees that he is obliged to reimburse the defendant their actual costs incurred by the Claimant’s breach of contract (this has always been the claimant’s position, but despite the request in the Defendant’s Counterclaim, all requests made by the Claimant to the Defendant for a breakdown of costs in order to pay true costs have been rebuffed).

The Claimant requests that the defendant makes full standard disclosure in order to allow the court to assess their true costs – as the defendant has requested in their counterclaim.

Hi Tobes, when is your court case listed for? Mine is September, just called the court!!

Hi!

Mine's the 19th September but it's actually, it turns out, a Case Management Conference :shock::rolleyes: so not the actual hearing...I think it's about deciding which Track etc so I guess this is my chance to request that there be Standard Disclosure...I'm in Reading so they have to come all the way from London unless they use the phone (which I think they're allowed to do) lol

Should be interesting - I phoned up and asked if I needed to bring anything (a bottle of wine, chocolates?! :wink: ) and they said not if I wasn't ordered to in the letter and it mentioned nothing like that so no pressure for evidence etc yet!

I thought it was a bit weird too, only because I didn't have this. Did not think it was used in small claims. Just delays matters!

Egg never sent me their AQ..But then again, I didn't send them mine lol

I requested small claims track, but i have no idea what Egg has requested...I doubt they would want anything other than small claims because I could then ask for standard disclosure and get them to reveal all their naughty secrets :D

I DID send a letter to the court asking for standard disclosure though...Not sure if that means it CAN'T be small claims...

• 4 weeks later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks