• Tweets

• Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
    • This is simply a scam site.  It's been shown to be a scam in the national press and on national TV. Please fill in the the forum sticky and upload the invoice you've received. In fact what you have is an invoice, not a fine, a private company doesn't have the power to issue fines.  
    • Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

rhoodnotts v Barclays ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I photo copied all my Bank Statements with Excess Charges, sent them to Barclays Recorded Delivery, they wrote and offered about half, so I made a Claim in the Small Claims Court online. I received confirmation, then another comminication from the Court, wit a Solicitors name on it, saying they were going to contest the Claim. That was on 19-Jan, a month ago, but nothing since. What should I do?

Hi,

I photo copied all my Bank Statements with Excess Charges, sent them to Barclays Recorded Delivery, they wrote and offered about half, so I made a Claim in the Small Claims Court online. I received confirmation, then another comminication from the Court, wit a Solicitors name on it, saying they were going to contest the Claim. That was on 19-Jan, a month ago, but nothing since. What should I do?

The best advice I can give you is to take the time to read the other Barclays threads. You will find all the answers you need

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

First of all start a thread in the barclays forum, as you will get excellent advice from others in the same boat.

You should have received a copy of the defence papers from bank or court, if you havent then call the court tomorrow and ask for it. You should have also received allocation questionaire to complete. You need to ask the court if they have got defence papers and why no allocation questionaire have been sent to you.

Also i advise you print out the process you need to follow from thr FAQs (see link below) as this will give you each stage and what to expect

Thanks for all your help, the AQ arrived today before I had a chance to phone the court to chase them -- they don't open until 10:00 then I've already been at work a couple of hours and am very involved; the day flies by.

Have filled it in, printed three copies and attached a schedule of charges. In the Other information section, in addition to some of the blurb quoted in your guide, I added

"As to the Defendant's claim that they are entitled to charge me for unauthorised borrowing by reason of their standard terms and conditions, that is akin to someone saying they are going to hit me before landing a punch on me: it does not alter the fact that the punch is an assault on me."

What d'you think, is this OK or inappropriate?

"As to the Defendant's claim that they are entitled to charge me for unauthorised borrowing by reason of their standard terms and conditions, that is akin to someone saying they are going to hit me before landing a punch on me: it does not alter the fact that the punch is an assault on me."

This is a joke, right?

Just to clarify the above responses, just in case, no, it is NOT an appropriate addendum. It wouldn't be appropriate anywhere, and least of all, in an allocation questionnaire, which is meant to be for the judge to decide on which track to send your claim, and how much time to allocate to your hearing.

I suggest a good read of " Allocation questionnaire, a guide to completion" in the Library, and to follow it scrupulously if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks for your explanation. The first two were a bit scathing...

I have looked at the Allocation questionnaire, a guide to completion, and below is the current contents of my Other Information box. Is this OK, or is this only appropriate if you're trying to convince the judge to choose the Small Claims Court for a Charge of over £5,000? Mine is under a £1,000.

Please find attached a detailed Schedule of Claim for Charges.

I believe the case will last no longer than an hour. The issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer's contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is (in common with the hundreds of other cases being brought by other bank customers) that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in the utmost good faith.

Accordingly I would respectfully ask that the court order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so and I believe this would bring a rapid end to this litigation.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I filled in the AQ and it was delivered to Kingston Upon Thames County Court on 28/02/07. I have searched for After the Allocation Questionnaire and After the AQ but could not find aything very helpful. I have read about how to approach the case if it does go to Court, but my questions are

1. How long does it usually take for the Court to decide on a hearing date (assuming Barclays don't cough up in the meantime) and

2. If it does end up going to Court, what are the chances of me finding a more experienced buddy to go with me?

Thanx

rhoodnotts

1. It depends how busy the court is. If you've not heard by the end of next week give them a call.

2. I very much doubt you'll see the inside of a court room, but check back when you've a date.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know what happens here.

I think we might have a group of us in on the 20th April.

See my post ADE & FAB v Abbey.

Woolwich N1 issued 15.01.07 £11k

Acknowledged 01.02.07

Defence Filed 15.02.07

AQ Filed 21.02.07

AQ Deadline 05.03.07

Woolwich AQ late, given till 16.03.07

29.03.07, Judgement rec, woolwich to pay up by 10.04.07

Money received 16.04.07

Nationwide MCOL issued 22.01.07 £1k

Settled in full 05.02.07:D

Account being closed

Appeared on Watchdog 20.02.07

Abbey Issue MCOL £5k 24.01.07

Defence Filed 21.02.07

29.03.07, AQ hearing set for 20.04.07 with other like cases.

11.04.07, Full settlement letter received for £5,769.12

• 3 weeks later...

I phoned the Court and they said a date for a hearing should be set in about a week, that was almost two weeks ago. More worryingly, I realise after having spoken to a friend, to whom I introduced your excellent website, that I had not sent a Letter before Action to Barclays before making the Claim in the Small Claims Court --- this is because at that stage I had not discovered your website (from a newsapaper article) I was merely following the advice on the BBC News website. How crucial is the LBA to my case, is it simply a minor hiccup or could it be a fatal flaw?

I'm not sure.

One of the MODS should be able to answer that one for you.

Woolwich N1 issued 15.01.07 £11k

Acknowledged 01.02.07

Defence Filed 15.02.07

AQ Filed 21.02.07

AQ Deadline 05.03.07

Woolwich AQ late, given till 16.03.07

29.03.07, Judgement rec, woolwich to pay up by 10.04.07

Money received 16.04.07

Nationwide MCOL issued 22.01.07 £1k

Settled in full 05.02.07:D

Account being closed

Appeared on Watchdog 20.02.07

Abbey Issue MCOL £5k 24.01.07

Defence Filed 21.02.07

29.03.07, AQ hearing set for 20.04.07 with other like cases.

11.04.07, Full settlement letter received for £5,769.12

Thanks for the prompt response and reassurance. I phoned the court again today (they received the AQ on 28 Feb) and I was again told it had been referred to the judge and I agreed to call back in another weeks time. I take it this is usual?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The Court received the Allocation Questionnaire 0n 28 Feb and after phoning the Court 3 times as advised by Advoc8 above, I have finally received an Allocation Hearing Date at Kington-upon-Thames County Court. I'm slightly concerned that on the first page it says "You should attend" but then adds "This case may be released to another Judge, possibly at a different Court" It started off at Northampton and as I live quite close to Kingston that is obviously the most convenient for me; what are the chances of it being changed?

The full text of what they say is

"To the parties

This case has been listed for an allocation hearing on Monday 25th June 2007 at 10.30 am at this court. This is because District Judge Gold who has considered the papers in the case has decided that such a hearing is necessary before a final decision about allocation of the case can be made.

You are ordered to attend the hearing.

This case has been listed with other cases on the same occasion because it appears to District Judge Gold that the main issues involved in all of them are the same or similar. District Judge Gold may on 15th January 2007 deal with the cases involving the same financial institution as defendant in one block (where more than one case) or, in the light of other considerations, deal with other cases together. This would be subject to any representations by any of the parties involved in such cases proposed to be dealt with together that he should do otherwise

District Judge Gold will wish to investigate whether any of the cases can be settled. He will also wish to determine [a] whether it is desirable and in the interests of justice for more than one case to be finally heard with other cases and, if so, which cases should be finally heard together; what documents and factual and other evidence should be before the court on the final hearings; and [c] whether any case or cases should be tried as a "test" case or cases subject to the interests of both sides and all other relevant matters and, if so, on what terms as to legal costs and otherwise.

It is emphasised that there will be no final heraings on 25th June 2007 and so the court will not hear from any witnesses as to the facts of the cases on that occasion. The court will be giving directions for the final hearings which will take place on later dates.

Note: If you fail to attend the hearing, the court may order you to pay the costs of the other party that does attend. Failure to pay those costs within the time stated may lead to your statement of case being struck out. The court may also make other orders relating to the case in the abscence of a party who fails to attend."

Can you please interpret the slightly mangled English and explain what it all means in laymans terms? I'm particularly confused by the reference to 15th January 2007, do you think this is a typographical error, and if so, what should I do about it? Shortly after that the text refers to "representations by any of the parties", do I need to make any representations and what representations might Barclays make? What are the implications of the reference to a possible "test" case?

As it seems that nothing will be settled even in June, is it likely to be settled by the end of the year?

I guess I'd better book a day off work for 25th Jun, will I be able to claim for a day's loss of wages?

Incidentally, a friend, who I encouraged to follow the same course with the Halifax, has had over £3,000 paid back into her account and hasn't yet filled in the Allocation Questionnaire -- lucky so and so!!

I think that the reference to january is because they reused a previous directions letter, and forgot to change the date there.

The best thing to do is phone the court in tuesday and double-check the date.

It is highly likely that the bank will settle in the days before or even on the day of the hearing. It is however essential that you attend, as you could get your claim dismissed if you don't. It happened recently to someone at the Mercantile Hearing in Leeds. (not a CAGger, as far as we know, though)

I'll find you the relevant thread, and if you read through the report of what happened then, it will help you understand a bit better. Back in a bit. :-)