Lied to by the Government

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Three years ago I almost exercised my legal right to buy (RTB) my council house so I would have the opportunity to create sustainable wealth my family and I.

At the time I was entitled to the full £38,000 discount.

However when I received by RTB application form, there was a booklet from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, in which discredited Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott assured me that there would be no ’significant’ changes to the RTB and that I should be “suspicious” if anyone tried to tell me otherwise.

Based on this categorical assurance, I decide not to put in my application at the time.

Some months later, I tried to apply and realised that I had been lied to because the £38,000 discount had been reduced by £22,000 to a mere £16,000 – IF I were to buy and sell within 5 years, the previous owner, who does not contribute to the mortgage – the council would be entitled to a share of any profit I make.

Also a scheme called the Rent To Mortgage scheme, was also abolished,

Also from Year 6 to year 10 the council will have the right to buy back the property from me.

Therefore in effect I would be buying a property that in effect would have no true market for 10 years. In any case none of the tenants on my estate are able to gat a mortgage because on the discount reduction.

So now I am stuck on a homogenised economically and socially excluded council estate where 15 year old boys get shot and stabbed ( I have two boys), and where increasingly we are becoming aware of the increasing gap between rich and poor.

By rent is more that the mortgage of the people an few doors along who bought a few years back, and now have over £100,000 equity to buy a buy- to-let, pay for the kid’s education etc. to debt consolidate, remortgage etc.

The poor tenants are relying on door to door loan sharks.

At the same time lying to people like me and trapping us as tenants has done nothing towards creating more lettings for the homeless – the myth created by Shelter.

What course of action do I have open to me?

Is there an Ombudsman who examines mal-administration and lies by the Government Departments

The big lie to us council tenants was as big as the one about 45 minutes WMD

How can anyone ever thrust this Government again?

You make your choice, you take the risk. Sorry, this sounds callous and harsh, but you at no point ever had any guarantee that your discount on right to buy would ever stay exactly the same. That is much like a government saying they would not increase income tax and then them doing so, MANY years later - and me then suing them for the increase in tax! Although I sympathise with your position, I do not agree with your argument.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

As far as I am aware the fact that the council will recoup monies if you sell within 5 years has always been part of the right to buy scheme.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

pity that's not a valid mobile number (1 number short) but I'd be dubious about it even if it was tbh. You've been signed up for almost a year and that's your first and only post to give out a phone number?

the post being talked about here has been removed

[COLOR=blue][B]Defaultless since 2012 :)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=green][/COLOR]

Sorry to break this to you but the scheme (RTB) has not been changed much to be honest what has been changed is that in areas where social housing is under increased pressure they have banded it so in areas such as london and other areas of high demand low availability the maximum discount is capped to £16,000 this has been common knowledge for a long long time (we enquired about RTB 3 years ago and it was around then!).

What is your rent if you dont mind me asking as social housing rent is supposed to be affordable not more than a mortgage, for example where we are (north norfolk) we pay about £250 per month for a 2 bed bungalow obviously inner city areas like London will be more but still supposed to be affordable.

Sorry for the predicament you are in, we just had a lucky escape from neighbour hell in Norwich with an evil witch upstairs banging across the ceiling day and night and a druggy on the top floor with a barking staffy at all hours nowhere near as bad as where you are sadly.

Are you registered on any homeswap websites its a long shot but you may get lucky (we did).

As for the rest about the government, well sorry theyre politicians they lie and cheat to get elected they dont care.

Local council here in Sheringham the locals have been fighting Tesco knocking down 15 flats, a community centre and fire station to build a store to serve 38,000 people despite Sheringham only having a pop of 7,000 and the council did the deal with Tesco on the condition that they did not put planning app in till after the elections the deal was done 13th March and app went in in May after the elections no one wants the store and have been fighting it for 7 years now.

Thats how much politicians care and give a crap about the people who put them in office

The most surprising thing about your post is that you're surprised the govenment lied.

And as for this suggestion -

Is there an Ombudsman who examines mal-administration and lies by the Government Departments

- pity the poor person who got that job - it'd be the busiest post in the country.

Seriously though - living in the South East i haven't got a hope of ever buying my council house even if I wanted to.

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to learn the full extent of government lies, download a documentary called TERRORSTORM and one called AMERICA FREEDOM TO FACISM neither have copyright as long as you dont resell them for profit. The filmakers actively encourage you to make copies and give them to as many people as you can (or sell them for cost)

PREPARE TO BE STUNNED...........................................................

i have a right to buy and got the £38K discount and the right to sell in 3 years, as opposed to 5 years which is the case now. I knew when 2 Jags of the then ODPM was going to reduce the discount to 16K, because I keep my big ears close to the ground. It might even go further down to 8K in the future.

I sympathise with you because am a father as well, and my brother was in same position. procrastination got the better of him and he had loads of rent arrears to clear. Having paid off all his arrears now he is going ahead with the right to buy as a form of pension and also as a step on the property ladder. Surely, he cannot go wrong in London.

My advice is don't ever trust any government, be it labour or conservative and if you can still buy - go ahead and do so.

At the end of the day it's a step on the property ladder.

bahoney