Reference Charges..!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on how to proceed...:

My Girlfriend rents a one bed flat and has been there for two years and we are now moving in together and have found a place to live. We have done the reference forms etc and then she gets a letter from her managing agent stating that as they have provided a reference she must pay them £30 plus vat.

Now i used to work as a property manager and did these kind of things all the time and they take a few minutes and most of the time just require printing out and filling in of a form or a verbal reference on How much rent, any arrears/problems, how long is the current tenancy etc.

Its not in her agreement (naturally as that would be an unfair term) but is on a letter from when she moved in about general infrmation.

I was shocked by the charge and told her not to pay but the missus didnt want to kick up a fuss so she wrote to them and offered to pay half as the charge is disproportionate to the amount of work required. She got a snotty letter back saying the charge was valid.

Should we now refuse to pay any of it or is there any legislation i can quote in an argument about the charge. I was thinking of likening it to the recent OFT ruling over bank charges......!

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas. Any would be appreciated..

Thanks

Damien

Barclaycard

S.A.R sent 18/01/07 :o

7 Day reminder 02/03/07

Some statements rec'd 19/03/07

ICO Complaint 20/03/06

Alea iacta est

They cannot provide a service without agreeing a charge prior, and then attempt to charge after. You had no contract with them requiring you to make payment in return for the service.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for that. We will write them a letter to that effect and see what they come back with:)

Barclaycard

S.A.R sent 18/01/07 :o

7 Day reminder 02/03/07

Some statements rec'd 19/03/07

ICO Complaint 20/03/06

Alea iacta est