Anyone taken on The Student Loans Company?

philiph20
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was a student until 1994 taking out a student loan of around £3000, about 6 months ago ago i got a letter saying i was in arrears of £160 because apparently about 6 years previously i was late in getting back to them the form stating that i hadn't earmed the amount required to start making payments, at no stage since 1994 have i had the income required to make payment and my income is still relatively little so i agreed to pay back around £40 a month for 4 months, i am a couple of weeks late with my last payment and i have just recieved a threatening letter from them stating i need to pay the £40 within 7 days as well as £30 charges and if i don't there is a list of all sorts of things that can happen such as having to pay the entire loan off,legal action, debt collection agencies etc, on the back is a list of all their charges i,e arrears letter £20, recalled or dishonoured payment £15etc.

I have spoken to them on the phone and found them all agressive, dogmatic and downright rude, can i and should i stand my ground about the £30 and if i pay it can i claim it back a la bank and credit card charges, normally for £30 i woudl not be too fussed but their appalinga ttitude has really riled me, another thing the letter was sent to an old address which i lived in until December when they are well aware i moved to a new address then the letter dated the 13th which i only received today states i need to apy within 7 days or else.....

Please help if you can witha ny advice and any dealings people may have had with this organisation.

Kind regards

Philip

Yes, I took on these bunch of no-marks, had my charges refunded AND agreed to pay them what I could afford, not what they thought I should.

Stick to your guns, get everything in writing and don't let them bully you.

They are a pretty hopeless bunch to be fair, demanding your mobile number and threatening county court.

I laughed and said I'd see them there, can't take what I ain't got.

• 3 months later...

They wont budge unless you take them to Court.

I did and the caved in befire their final date for a defence. they still put a defence in, but I got a letter offering me all the money I claimed and more besides! :D

Dont let them bully you. Take them to Court.

Like all bullies they are cowards and will cave in.