• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Laffar v's Natwest

laffar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Laffar,

same message to you as to tim... wondering if you have heard anything from Corbetts or how things are going.... Ive been unable to get on here for over a week... more pressing things happened at home... stress is unbelievable but had hoped that this would be over and done with before now...

can you let me know how things are going

well i hope

Lynne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lynne,

Not a lot of action here, sent a copy of my response to their part 18 request thingy to the courts just to keep them informed. Other than that absolutly nothing, they're still yet to reply to their AQ, i reckon they'll draw that out until deadline day, then who knows what they have up their sleeve.

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Submitted MoneyClaim on 30 May.

Acknowledged 7 Jun, 3 Jul deadline for response

Defence filed 4 Jul

Received their copy of AQ 21 July, awaiting court date

*********** SETTLED IN FULL - 17 August *************

Egg Card:

Requested Payment Protection Refund on 20 May,

Sent Data Protection Act request, egg acknowledged,

8 Jul deadline for response.

26 Jul: Sent Prelim Letter

01 Sep: Sent LBA

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi Laffar,

thanks... Ive been sitting chewing my nails thinking... "is it me?" do I smell and other nasty things. Im in the same boat Ill let you know if I hear anything

Lynne

I'm watching this with interest now. I sent my first letter to Natwest 9 days ago claiming £8795 plus interest over 4 years.

As of yet I haven't heard a thing from them, not even a standard rejection so does this mean I can expect the same messing about before they even think about settling?

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

£8795 ???? What a whopper!!!! Your track through the process will be a bit different to mine once you get to the court stage, anything over £5k won't go through small claims.

They may actually be looking at yours with it being so large, maybe it won't be a standard letter .... what am i saying, of course it will.

If they haven't got back to you in 14 days then it's the letter before action. Might be worth giving them a call to confirm they've recieved your prelim letter. Don't tell them what it is regarding unless they ask. Just say "I'm just calling to confirm you've recieved my letter dated ..... ". They may try to lure you into a dialogue and pass you between people to discuss its content so be aware.

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi again laffar.... Ive had an offer for 50% from Corbetts... are you having any kind of luck from them.

And we know where we are going to tell them where to stick it...

Lynne

Not heard a thing. Have you received their allocation questionnaire yet?

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi Laffar

I got their allocation questionarre in with all the bumf... their defence and a cpr part 18 request... I sent them the nasty letter saying didnt have to reply... but then the day I handed the stuff into the court I decided to change my mind, I answered their cpr request and wrote one of my own asking for full break down of charges etc... sent them a copy of this and handed one into the court....

However... I bet you get it in the post tomorrow... since it seems that Ive been a day behind getting stuff ... I dont know why the difference... and looking at all our dates... ronnie corbetts are sending out stock replys to our claims... weve all had the same letters dated the same... the defences were filed on the same day etc...

I reckon you will have yours tomorrow....

keep me posted... I want this to work for you as much as it is for me

lynne

Hi Lynne

I haven't even had their AQ yet, they reckon they can't complete it until i've answered their CPR. They have until 23rd July to submit their AQ, then i don't know what happens. Might call the courts to see if they've received it.

Do you have any idea of what happens if they don't submit their AQ??

Ross

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi Laffar

I got that letter from them, then I relented and decided to reply to their CPR part 18... if you want a copy of what I sent and the my very own CPR request pm me with your email address and i will send you a copy of both of them. I dont know if I did the right thing or not, however, I decided that because the amount I was claiming was just under the 5K I would reply to it. I sent a copy with my AQ when I dropped it off at the County Court in sunderland, and then sent them a copy of it directly. I dont know if this differs from what you did.

However, in the template library, Im sure there is a link to the AQ and pdf versions for you to download.

I am supprised at all of this, I thought at one stage they were just sending the letters out as standard.

let me know if I can be of any help at all...

one question, have you sent your AQ back to the court? and paid your fee? you know thinking about it, it may have taken your court longer if they have a lot to deal with... I asked about this in Sunderland, if they had been busier because of all of this ... the reply... no not really this is one of the first to come through...

but then again... I live in a strange place :)

Lynne

They've finally returned their AQ - on the last possible day unsurprisingly. More sitting tight for me

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi mate,I had their AQ on the last day too!they love dragging things out..this is to make others think twice before they make a claim...dont know what happens next?

I guess a court date!!

Hi Guys

I'm new to consumeractiongroup but in the same boat. Buzzing (like a fridge) that i've picked up this thread.

Got a letter from Ronnie Cobbetts yesterday quoting CPR 18 and 16 PD paragraphs 7.3 - 7.5 blah blah blah. Awaiting the AQ.

Will be eagerly waiting and checking here daily for progress. Can anyone send me a standard reply to this - I wouldn't like to send them anything too personal based on the fact that I have now found out that this a standard response.

[email protected]

23/6/06 - Claim against NatWest £1008 + interest. defence and request for more info received 27/7/06

Nat West, * WON *, 10/2006, £1287

A & L, * WON *, 11/2006, £188

Donation Made to Site

seanf,

Hi! Don't have a standard reply to hand I'm afraid. However, if you use the search tool - you'll find it located towards the top of the page - and key in a couple of pertinent words then you'll have no trouble locating one in seconds.

It's worth checking out as it will enable you to find the answer to pretty near any question you have without scrolling through absolutely everything on here.

Hope that helps?! ;-)

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

some encouraging news today ... got a letter from cobbetts offering half of what i'm after. obviously not good enough but at least they haven't forgotten about me! Now to write a polite "thanks but no thanks" letter ... the net is closing!

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi Laffar,

Thats good.... but not great..!!! Ive also had a letter from Cobbetts today offering me approx half.... NOT GREAT EITHER

I was wondering whether to accept, but the feedback I have gotton has said to tell them to sod off!!! Politely of course.:-x

Definately in agreement there, sod off it is! it's not great but at least encouraging, it just kind of draws a line under all the delaying tactics and the fat cheque a step closer ... i hope!!

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Hi Laffar...

Wondering whats happening with you... corbetts sent me a cheque today for the full amount.... yup... Ive won... no confidentiallity clause or anything....

Im still in shock....

have you got yours yet?

Its coming have faith....

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laffar

Just wondering if you have heard anything from Cobbetts.... I know we both had an offer of about half and now im still waiting for something else ..... two weeks later.

It seems to be dragging on abit, doesnt it?

Cheers:) :)

Cathie,

I'm still waiting, getting a little worried .. although it's encouraging that someones in the same boat, at least they're not picking on me!!

I'm going away until monday so hopefully there'll be a nice (full) offer waiting for me when i get back, and news that you've had your claim settled too. Not holding my breath though

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

It won't be that great, just going home for the weekend (fairly near you actually). But after a crap weekend (probably) what better way to cheer myself up than to cash my big fat cheque!?

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

Ooooo yes, i'm psychic, got a cheque for the full amount when i got back from my weekend away!! it's a big relief i can tell you, just hope it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.

thanks for everyones support and advice.

NatWest:

Sent LBA on 12 May.

Defence filed 4 Jul

Egg Card:

Citibank:

Not Started

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks